NBO TalkBeer Biggest Loser 2018 a.k.a. Keeping Your Resolution

Discussion in 'Beer-It-Forward' started by mborden, Jan 10, 2018.

1. mborden

mborden

Back in 2013 dvelcich organized a Biggest Loser LIF that I participated in and it actually helped me lose some weight. He smartly started it near the end of 2013 so it could last all of 2014, but I'm not that on-the-ball so I'm throwing this out here now. Basic idea is that I believe accountability helps with weight loss. I know because I won that LIF in 2014, subsequently lost all accountability, and now am actually heavier than BEFORE I started participating in that LIF. sad_trombone.gif

The rules are pretty similar to the ones from that 2014 LIF and are as follows:

1) Proof of progress will be tracked in a private conversation via photos of weigh-ins and a Google Spreadsheet. Proof is basically a photo of your feet on a scale. We'll see a lot of Hobbit toes. It's ok; it happens.

2) I'll start a "Hauls and Motivation" thread so we can publicly share boxes and give words of encouragement.

3) Weigh-ins will start on 2/1/2018 and occur on the 1st and 15th of each month, and will include more photos of scales and feet. Basically this keeps accountability throughout.

4) On the first of each month, the person that has lost the most weight that previous month as a percentage of body weight is the "winner". You have to provide proof of progress on the 1st and 15th of that month to be eligible to win that month. If the person who lost the most didn't meet the proof of progress requirement, the next highest amount lost will be the winner, and so on. So don't forget to post!

5) I will ship a box to the first winner in March. Each subsequent month, the winner of the previous month ships to the winner of the next month. If the same person wins multiple months in a row, I'll ship to the consecutive winner. At the end of the year (following a 12/31/2018 weigh-in), I'll ship a nice box to whomever has lost the most weight from 2/1/2018 to 12/31/2018 as a percentage of body weight. To be eligible for the end-of-the-year box, you'll have to meet 75% of the weigh-in post requirements (17 of 23) throughout the year. For a lot of people, drinking less and losing weight are intrinsically linked, so let's say the monthly boxes will be in the min 50 oz. range.

6) To encourage NOT dropping out during the year, we'll tack on a Keeping Your Resolution BIF component. When the LIF kicks off (as part of the private conversation), in addition to your current weight, post a goal weight that you'd like to be at when the year closes. I'll randomly assign targets from everybody that enters and post that at the beginning of the LIF. If you DON'T hit your goal weight at the end of the year, you ship min 150 oz. to your target at the beginning of 2019. If you DO hit your goal weight, you don't have to ship to your target. If you stop participating during the year, you're automatically on the hook to ship. Failure to do so will result in a Bad Trader thread. Please be reasonable and don't say "I want to lose 5 lbs in a year" as a way to potentially receive a box without needing to ship one at the end of the year. That's really not what the spirit of this is about. Hopefully (in a weird way), nobody will have to ship out any beer at the end!

7) Please don't enter if you're not interested in sending a nice box to the person who wins after you.

8) Must be an established trader in good standing with a shipping address in the Lower 48.

If you would like to enter, please send me a message with your name, email address, shipping address, and phone number. Do NOT just post in the thread that you'd like to be a part of this, I need your info.

I'll keep this open until 1/29. If we can get 8 people to participate by then I'll run it. If not, I'll hope that this is the year I can do it on my own!

Cheers.

2. Don

Don

Fuck it, need to lose some weight and accountability will definitely help.

[​IMG]

mborden, mateoloco, Photekut and 5 others like this.
  3. dvelcich

dvelcich

Way to pick up the ball! I'm actually the lowest I've been in a while, so not sure I'll participate, but let me know if you really need one more person to make this happen. I'll definitely help out with some encouragement at the very least! (Or just post burger pics to fuck with you... Mwahahahaha!)

danidavid and mborden like this.
  4. mborden

mborden

Congrats on being a Lean, Mean, Fat Reducing Grilling Machine!

[​IMG]

Super bummed that in 3 years I haven't made it to Chicago to use my handwritten "free burger at Burger Antics" coupon. If that was Bitcoin it would be worth like 846365278 burgers now :D

BrandoSF, dvelcich and tosh like this.
  5. mborden

mborden

6. BigFrank

BigFrank

So, i could really lose some weight...I've been on the rise for the last several years. Curious about this though. If I was really serious about dropping I'd start by seriously cutting down my beer consumption. To make that easier I'd likely want to curtail my activity here...anyone experience these thoughts? How has that worked with this bif previously?

tosh, mborden, souredstouts and 2 others like this.
  7. primebeer

primebeer

I actually thought the same thing at the start of this year, with a decrease beer consumption being my primary driver of cutting some lbs along with moderation in eating and exercise. I naturally thought I'd have to spend less time on TB but it actually hasn't bothered me too much.

In reflection of the past few weeks and the limits I've set on myself, I've found myself being very picky about the beers I do choose to drink. My strategy was to cut my drinking by about 70%, which, disturbingly, still gives me a number of beers I can have each week. In doing so, I've pretty much cut out the staple IPAs I drink, beers at work/after work, and other drinking occasions where I'd normally have a few without much thought about it. It turns out, at least for me, that the limitation on beers has made me actively think about why I'm drinking. As someone who loves craft beer, I've been able to change my consumption to something I do to enjoy the beverage itself rather than anything else.

I view time spent on TB as something that keeps me feeling normal as I adjust other things in my life that make me healthier. I think the trick to building new habits and being healthier is to make slow incremental changes that can last. I'm not going to stop drinking beer, ever, but making the hobby something to savor and enjoy rather than excess consumption has helped a lot.

TLDR: Don't force yourself away from something you enjoy, just try to change your viewpoint on it and decrease consumption incrementally.

MarkIntihar, mateoloco, kbuzz and 2 others like this.
  8. primebeer

primebeer

PM incoming.

mateoloco, mborden and BigFrank like this.
  9. steimie

steimie

Oh yeah, so in. Need this worse than ever.

Maybe tag those that were in before? Best BIF I was ever in.

10. mborden

mborden

Good idea! These are the folks who were active in the spreadsheet at some point:

blue_bleeder
    doner24
    stxSS07
    MarkIntihar
    stxSS07

mateoloco likes this.
  11. mborden

mborden

Totally get what you're saying. For me, drinking less beer doesn't necessarily mean that I spend less time on this site. In fact, I rarely read DDT and other posts where people post about the beer they're drinking. I spend most of my time in other threads. If anything, the weigh-in thread last year was more like, "dang, these are a bunch of folks who are struggling just as much as I am", and that was helpful.

^This for me too. Not to mention they money you can save!

gregkoko, mateoloco and BigFrank like this.
  12. danidavid

danidavid

In 100% this will keep me on track

BrandoSF, steimie and mborden like this.
  13. mborden

mborden

Alright, officially up to 4! Remember to PM me your details to officially enter.

[​IMG]

BrandoSF and primebeer like this.
  14. JGlitz87

JGlitz87

I think I am in. Few clarifying questions...

What constitutes a reasonable amount? Do we need to target a 5-10% loss? 10-20%?

steimie and mborden like this.
  15. primebeer

primebeer

I'm not sure how it ran last year but I'll likely be targeting around 19-21% depending on where I stand on 2/1. I think the point is to push yourself and put yourself on a number that is actually where you'd like to be by year end. Dream big, right?

JGlitz87, steimie and mborden like this.
  16. mborden

mborden

Good question. I don't think there will be a policed percentage or anything like that. Different people have different struggles and ultimately will have different goals. The spirit behind the Bonus BIF is to set a goal for yourself to work towards and to keep you motivated throughout the full year. Oh, and to penalize you if you quit haha.

JGlitz87 and steimie like this.
  17. JGlitz87

JGlitz87

Let me get on the scale tonight and check. I think I am only trying to cut about 12%, so I don't think I will win much, but this could be a good accountability tool...

danidavid, steimie and mborden like this.
  18. steimie

steimie

Bump.

C'mon, you fat fucks. I know you're out there!!

danidavid, BigFrank and mborden like this.
  19. mborden

mborden

[​IMG]

danidavid, BigFrank and steimie like this.
  20. danidavid

danidavid

Down 10lbs this year. I don't want to win any beer in this I just wanna be near my goal weight by the end of the year.

gregkoko, BrandoSF, mborden and 2 others like this.