NBO : TB Blind BIF 2018

Discussion in 'Beer-It-Forward' started by flexabull, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flexabull

flexabull

A message from an old Blind BIF vet (cbeer88) and some chatter elsewhere has prompted me to get the 2018 Blind BIF started.

First, here are the rules.

1. Each participant must send 10 beers, with a focus on quality, locals, etc... An extra or two is ok, but let's try to stick to 10.
    2. Each beer must be completely disguised... wrapped, unlabeled, marked out, etc... make it so your target doesn't know what they are drinking. Also, include instructions on order/pairings if need be.
    3. Each participant must drink their beers blindly, then in the hauls/reviews thread, write an honest review about the beer and take a guess at what it is. This rule is VERY important, if you don't review all of your beers in the review thread I will give you negative trade feedback. The reviews are a key part of this BIF, if you don't think you can do this please don't sign up. This is meant to be fun, so don't worry when you fail miserably and can't detect a beer you've had countless times before.
    4. If the packaging of a beer might give it away (corked and caged) mark "requires assistant", so wife/child/roommate etc can pour the beer for you.
    5. If at all possible, have someone pick your blind beers and pour them for you. This really makes guessing challenging and even more fun. You'll have no clue if your beer was poured from a can, small bottle, corked and caged bottle, etc...
    6. Prior Blind BIF participants (in good standing) get first dibs on getting in, otherwise you must have at least 100 messages on the site and a positive trade history to be considered to join.
    7. Some people like a warning before drinking a strong beer. If so, just mention that when you send me your info.
    8. Since last year it took way too long for some people post their reviews, I would like everyone to have their reviews done by September 15th. This gives everyone 2+ months to drink and review your beers.
    8. Read #3 again and only join if you can follow this rule. This is more important than whatever beers you decide to send.

If you want to join, reply "IN" to this thread and/or shoot me a message. I'll take signups until the evening of May 31st. I'd like to get this one going pretty soon, so I'd like to have targets out by next weekend, then shipping to be completed by the end of June.

Please post any ideas in the thread below. Maybe a theme? In the past we've "paired" beers, (different vintages, same styles, BA and non BA version of the same beer, etc...) had kill shots (god awful beers), shipped glassware, etc...

Hauls and reviews from last year.

https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/blind-bif-2017-hints-and-nonsense-reviews-thread.38429/

Tagging some homies from last year.

libbey, Andelliotsaid, tosh, stupac2, ficklenicholas, NAD1983, drbenzo, EliotRosewater,
    MrVonzipper, Oaklandtraders, BrandoSF, elkhunter36, jvanaus, Gretlawn, Brubaker, mwbbq,
    boogercrack, ckowalski, shelf_turd_ferguson, nathanmiller, quirk6, KevinC, nhindian,
    PepeSylvia, uvm2003, Brez07 and tikk

TL/DR? Go read the rules before joining. Thanks!

2. BrandoSF

BrandoSF

3. cbeer88

cbeer88

Blind BIF is the greatest thing ever. It's like beer, but even better.

Definitely in!

4. tosh

tosh

Trying to stay out of BIF’s....,,

Fuck it.

In

5. jvanaus

jvanaus

Thanks for the tag, but I'm not going to be able to join this year. Hope everyone has fun!

6. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Basically everything tosh said above applies to me as well.

7. uvm2003

uvm2003

Was just talking about this last night, reminiscing about the killshot that Brez07 sent me. I believe it was some type of earl grey tea and sweet stout mashup. It still haunts my dreams.

I’m most def in. Loved this.

8. danidavid

danidavid

Fuckkk. Maybe.... probably.

9. mwbbq

mwbbq

10. nodamagedone

nodamagedone

In.

Can't wait to fail spectacularly at IDing beers.

11. boogercrack

boogercrack

Unfortunately I can't fully dedicate to this BIF right now to give it the attention it deserves. Thanks for the tag though.

12. danidavid

danidavid

Fuck it I'm drunk. Sign me up 100% will probably regret tomorrow but #yolo

13. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Fml. Terrible timing. Possibly my favorite bif. I wish I could but I gotta Pass.
    [​IMG]

14. stupac2

stupac2

Somehow TB didn't tell me about the tag in here! 100% in.

For themes, I always like pairings but it can be a bit constricting. How about going the opposite direction and requiring diversity (no two beers of the same style/brewery/whatever)? That seems similarly constricting but might actually open more space for creativity. Plus you know you've always wanted to try to decide if something is an English Brown blind.

15. ckowalski

ckowalski

Was really fun last year, definitely in again.

Paired beers were great last year also. Will definitely be sending my target another pairing.

16. quirk6

quirk6

17. SkunkDrool

SkunkDrool

18. tikk

tikk

[​IMG]
    Sorry guys, my favorite bif and I have to say no. Too much going on right now.

19. quirk6

quirk6

[​IMG]

20. pushkinwow

pushkinwow

Only lower 48?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.