Whiskey Need some help selecting a bottle

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by PSUMike, Feb 21, 2018.

1. PSUMike

PSUMike

I know basically jack shit about Whiskeys but I need a little help finding a bottle. Every year, I go on a golf trip with my father and a bunch of other guys. For the past few years, one guy has been bringing a lot of different bourbons, scotches, and whiskeys for everyone to try. I'd like to get a bottle myself to bring and contribute. If I can keep it under maybe ~$75, that'd be ideal.

Preferably a single malt scotch. Looking for something that's on the smoky side but not over the top like an Islay. Lower on the sweetness and higher on the oaky character. Approachable and a crowd pleaser. For reference, I really enjoyed Glenmorangie 10 that I had last year but want a little more smoke. The caveat to all this to up the degree of difficulty is Pennsylvania's state store system which can be a bitch to find certain bottles. What's the best bang for the buck?

kbuzz likes this.
  2. kbuzz

kbuzz

I'm sure you don't want my opinion...but fuck you, here it is.

I think Highland Park 12yo might your answer. A little smokey, in your price range and on the shelves in PA.

Alternatively, I think Bowmore 12, although an Islay, might also fit the bill as I've always found them to be less smokey than the peat-bomb Islay distilleries.

Der Fuchs, ufmj, GetchaPull and 2 others like this.
  3. rrryanc

rrryanc

Aberlour or Springbank would be good selections as well.

Gene, GetchaPull and PSUMike like this.
  4. Aaron from the Wood

Aaron from the Wood

Benromach 10 or Glenfarclas 12. Both have a light peat to them and are in the $50 range.

GetchaPull and PSUMike like this.
  5. kbuzz

kbuzz

You'll find variations of this chart everywhere...but this is the most inclusive I've seen to date

[​IMG]

6. GetchaPull

GetchaPull

Big fan of Oban 14 in the profile/price range you are looking for. I'll also echo Bowmore 12, Highland Park 12, and especially Springbank 15 (in my experience, often overlooked and underrated) but might be a touch harder to find.

Digita7693 will likely have even more recs...

7. Digita7693

Digita7693

Balvenie Peated or Peat Week might be an option for you, but not sure on the price. Balvenie is wonderful and these are tasty and definitely on the lower end of peat.

The An Cnoc series of peated whiskies are real nice and much lower ppm (peatiness). A typical Islay has 40-50ppm + and the An Cnoc’s are All around 15-20, and they make great whisky to begin with. Cutter, Flaughter, and Tushkar. Those might be your best bet for quality, price and lower ppm. They should be easy enough to get too.

Oban 14 is a very solid rec too.

souredstouts, GetchaPull and kbuzz like this.
  8. kbuzz

kbuzz

Most of this stuff will be hard to find in PA. Balvenie is likely the only one - and only core offerings. Maybe Oban. But definitely not Springbank, which really pissed me off when I lived there.

Is the An Cnoc stuff single malt or blends? Never heard of that.

EDIT: PSUMike - how much time do you have? PA does have some additional stuff available online that you can have shipped to the Cranberry FW&S. Some of these suggestions might be available that way?

GetchaPull likes this.
  9. Digita7693

Digita7693

The An Cnocs are single malts.
    Just looked and they are in the US, $79.95 in Oregon. Here’s a description of the Cutter:
    https://ancnoc.com/whiskies/archived-collection/peaty/cutter/

GetchaPull and kbuzz like this.
  10. kbuzz

kbuzz

11. Digita7693

Digita7693

Their regular lineup is great too!

kbuzz likes this.
  12. PSUMike

PSUMike

I'm flying down to SC and don't want to take a bottle in my luggage. Several are driving down from PA so I am taking it to give to them to haul down. I'm heading back to my parents' this afternoon. Even at the Fine Wine and Good Spirits in Wexford, which is the biggest I've seen, half the bottles mentioned here weren't available.

kbuzz likes this.
  13. kbuzz

kbuzz

Should have just waited to buy in SC honestly. Lots of places with phenomenal selections all over SC.

Der Fuchs and Digita7693 like this.
  14. ufmj

ufmj

Singleton of Glendullan 12 is an easy-drinking single malt scotch that is readily-available and will set you back about $40.