New cellar project:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard a possibly apocryphal story about a super rich guy who moved up to Sonoma or Napa, and wanted to build a giant underground cellar underneath a mountain -- so he had the whole mountain moved (probably just a big hill, but they're technically mountains here). He was massively fined for messing with the environment -- the penalty was $50 million or something, which he wrote a personal check for and handed to the inspectors.

Went with my dad to Australia in 1996 and visited a friend of his who had two 40-foot shipping containers buried side by side in his front yard. He had it stocked with all kinds of food, water, etc. and was fully expecting some sort of apocalypse or world wide disaster event so this was his hideout. The containers were placed side by side and had the connecting walls torched out to make essentially a double wide underground shelter. The entrance was through a coat closet in the house on the property, whereby you pull a specific hook in the closet and a hidden door pops open into the stairwell leading down into the containers. He had similar venting, but disguised them as fountains in his front yard. I wish I had pictures - even just thinking about it makes it seem so far fetched, especially almost 20 years ago.

Beer or wine cellar constructed similarly is awesome. Makes me wish I owned property.

Went with my dad to Australia in 1996 and visited a friend of his who had two 40-foot shipping containers buried side by side in his front yard. He had it stocked with all kinds of food, water, etc. and was fully expecting some sort of apocalypse or world wide disaster event so this was his hideout. The containers were placed side by side and had the connecting walls torched out to make essentially a double wide underground shelter. The entrance was through a coat closet in the house on the property, whereby you pull a specific hook in the closet and a hidden door pops open into the stairwell leading down into the containers. He had similar venting, but disguised them as fountains in his front yard. I wish I had pictures - even just thinking about it makes it seem so far fetched, especially almost 20 years ago.

Beer or wine cellar constructed similarly is awesome. Makes me wish I owned property.
Old schoolbuses work well too and their bodies can be found for cheap, fyi.

Latest posts

Back