New Competition Idea, "From the Vault"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quirkzoo1

Reaction score
Have you guys checked out White Labs Yeast Vault?

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-vault

TL;DR version - White Labs has a ton of strains not available commercially so you preorder them and if there are enough preorders they grow up a batch and ship it out.

So my idea is, we vote on what yeast we want to try out and then everybody that wants to enter the competition puts in a pre-order. Whenever the yeast ships we start the competition. My thought would be that we can use any grain bill we want, we just all use the same yeast (some of the strains aren't very high attenuators so we could discuss options with those, i.e. WLP603 Torulaspora delbrueckii.

There are some pretty cool strains available so I thought it might be a fun idea.

If there is interest post your thoughts in this thread and we can go from there.

One of the major drawbacks is that there is no guarantee any of the strains will make it to production (unless we limit our choices to ones that have already been approved) and the timeline needs to be fairly flexible.

Last edited:
Fun idea. Considering I havent touched my homebrew that needs attention in two months or scored beers from last comp yet (sorry guys!), I'm out. Some of the lacto sound neat.

Back