New equipment and/or upgrades discussion

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by stakem, Aug 23, 2013.

1. axeman9182

axeman9182

Figured I'd drop a link to this here because some of you guys might be interested. The owner did a Skype demo/Q&A session with my club last week (even though it was after 1am over in the UK) and it seems like it'd be pretty handy if you have a fermentation fridge.

https://www.mybrewbot.com/

2. TheAbyss

TheAbyss

Aside from capacity limitations, I see no reason to upgrade my 10G coolers I use as a mash tuns. They hold the temperature extremely well and are easy to clean. Efficiency has been around 75% with batch sparging and I am fine with that as well. I have had is a stuck sparge when using 50% wheat 50% pils in a hefe, some rice hulls fixes that. Am I missing something?

[​IMG]

3. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Just the ability to do step mashes really (or to show off your fancy stainless steel).

TripleSixHoppia and rcubed like this.
  4. rcubed

rcubed

I haven't found a reason to upgrade myself but I'm trying to keep it simple as possible.

With stainless you can go electric and setup a HERMS or RIMS system. But I have seen some creative things people have done with their cooler MTs.

smithj2154 and Gonzoillini like this.
  5. Vogt52

Vogt52

Looking at potentially upgrading to stainless because of durability. Have had two coolers within the last year crack or break in one way or another

Gonzoillini likes this.
  6. TheAbyss

TheAbyss

I have been able to step mashes in the cooler (it's difficult but doable). The fancy stainless looks pretty but I figured it functions the same really.

I have had the same coolers for 5+ years. Never had a problem with durability.

7. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Are you just mashing in low and adding additional (warmer) water to bring it up to additional temps? Fuck that sounds like a lot of calculations and work.

TheAbyss and Beerontwowheels like this.
  8. TheAbyss

TheAbyss

Yes and yes. I normally don't do multi step mashes because of that. Mainly single infusion and batch sparge.

I have been doing a normal mash followed by a 30 min decoction in the kettle added back to sparge and sparge out for styles that benefit from a decoction mash.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy

Any reccomendations for length of beverage line going from sanke hookup to a picnic tap?

10. neorunner

neorunner

Length (ft) = keg pressure/line resistance
    3/16" ID draft line has a resistance of 3

11. Five28 hz

Five28 hz

I've had better luck doubling that. I serve my saisons at 18-20 psi and 12' of 3/16" draft line works well.

12. nanobrew

nanobrew

Has anyone here ever made an inline carbonator? I am thinking of making one. I have seen builds and I see that the Blichmann one uses a 1 gpm pump. I was wanting to use something a little faster as I am thinking of making something to carbonate about 1 bbl. However, I saw a video where someone built a carbonator with a 3 gpm pump and this caused back flow through the stone and into the CO2 line (set at 15psi).

Gonzoillini likes this.
  13. neorunner

neorunner

Probably due to height change. Considering they are just wanting to go to a picnic tap the height delta shouldn't be much of an impact.

Gonzoillini and ChaQuiseman like this.
  14. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

4ish foot at 12 PSI is usually pretty good as long as the keg is cold. If you are planning on having the keg outside in an ice bucket, that's where things can get a little squirrely.

Gonzoillini and Ziggy like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy

Hows that?

16. natejohnson

natejohnson

co2 solubility is very temperature dependent, as the beer warms you get gas breakout/foam. 6 feet of 3/16" should be a pretty standard starting point for a party tap. Even if the beer in the line warms completely between pours its only 1oz of beer so just dump that and pull fresh from the keg. Keep the keg as cold as possible for best results.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy

Yeah i get that but he said "things will get squirrely" leaving it outside in an ice bucket. Maybe there is no ice in said bucket in this hypothetical situation? Idk. I figured on keeping the keg cold anyways.

18. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

The CO2 balance in a 34 degree keg and a 45 degree keg is very different.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  19. neorunner

neorunner

[​IMG]

Blue - Lost Abby beers
    White - Why did I add priming sugar to my keg?
    Grey - souts-n-such
    Green - lagers and normal ales
    Yellow - foamy shit
    Red - that sour that refermented in the keg after you added fruit and forgot to add kmbs

bum732, hunterpgh, Five28 hz and 4 others like this.
  20. Phischy

Phischy

smithj2154 likes this.