New equipment and/or upgrades discussion

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by stakem, Aug 23, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Totally looks like your pots are just stacked on cases of Bruery beer with a tabletop resting above them.

jivex5k likes this.
  2. StarRaptor

StarRaptor

Here are some inside pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rustyshackleford

rustyshackleford

I'm looking into investing in a kegerator/fermentation vessel in the form of a chest freezer. Is there anyway that I can have the best of both worlds and store my kegs and ferment at desirable temps in a single vessel? It would be dandy to only have one large chest freezer used for fermentation and keeping kegs cool.

4. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Nope. Serving temps are typically near 40* and ferm temps for ales are in the mid 60's. No chest freezer can handle that, to my knowledge.

5. Billy Brux

Billy Brux

6. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

What size would you recommend for 5 & 10 gallon batches?

7. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Thinking about upgrading to a 10-Gallon pot, any recommendations?

The Northern Brewer MegaPot 1.2 is sexy but not sure if it is worth the price. I like the idea of a ball valve but I typically just have my mashtun on a table in my backyard and then have the kettle/burner on the ground. Are there advantages to a ball valve on the kettle if I don't have a tiered system? I use an immersion chiller so I don't really get a nice tight cold break/whirlpool with my trub.

Currently using 7.5 gallon aluminum pot from a turkey fryer ($40 for pot and burner at home depot after thanksgiving a few years back). So the other challenge is that if I upgrade my pot, I will also likely have to upgrade my burner. Seems as though the Banjo burners are the consensus but open to suggestions on this as well.

schmidlove and mcaulifww like this.
  8. Billy Brux

Billy Brux

Depends on how much hops you use and the size of your kettle. Measure the depth of the kettle. Ideally you want the basket to almost reach the bottom.

I do 5gal batches with a 7.5gal boil in a 10gal kettle. I have two of the 4x10 size. They hold 4oz. of pellets each. I may get one 6x14 for the extra hoppy brews.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  9. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I really like my 62qt Bayou classic stainless steel pot. 113$ shipped if you have amazon prime. While 95% of my batches are 5 gallons, I have the capacity to brew ten gallons.

For about thirty dollars in parts you can add a weldless ball valve which I find really handy since I use a march pump to recirc during chilling and then to move the wort to the fermenter.

Definitely happy with my set up.

10. domtronzero

domtronzero

man Oh man!! OH Man!!! OH MAN!!!!!!

Check this out!

6.5 gallon glass wide mouthed carboy!

[​IMG]

schmidlove, brooklyn and mcaulifww like this.
  11. mcaulifww

mcaulifww

it's about time. I've have a glass carboy that I've used for two batches. After figuring out the hard way how much of a pain they are to clean and on my back I got a 5 gallon food grade plastic bucket and lid from Home Depot for $3. my batches may need to be smaller but my life will be much easier.

domtronzero likes this.
  12. ncaudle

ncaudle

I currently use a similar turkey fryer/burner on post t'giving clearance as well.
    why would you need to upgrade the burner? if it's like mine with extended raised "safety" guards I'm planning on removing those guards when I upgrade my HLT/boil kettle, assuming the new kettle doesn't fit inside the guards.

13. ncaudle

ncaudle

regarding HLT/boil kettles is there other manufacturers, other than Blichmann, which includes a site/volume gauge? for the life of me I can't figure out why these aren't standard, or at least an option, on all of the usual manufacturers you see in homebrew supply shops.
    I currently use a mash stir that I have marked in .5 gal increments so I know what my current volume is...

14. Billy Brux

Billy Brux

You can add a sight gauge to any kettle. All you need is a drill and a step bit.

15. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

You can install one yourself. Google bobbym + brew hardware. He sells weldless sightglasses.

I installed one on my hlt and one on my boil kettle. They work great.

ncaudle likes this.
  16. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Good point about removing the guards, although mine is one big piece that wraps around the burner so I would probably just grind it down. Also, I find that mine seems to be a bit underpowered which extends the brewday. I think mine is 45,000 BTUs and I brewed next to a friend that had a more powerful burner (not sure on BTU's) and it cut about an hour off the brewday for him.

17. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Just bit the bullet and purchased a Blichmann burner. Kind of already regret the purchase (24" leg extensions + shipping equals 200$+), but hopefully I'll be really impressed with the product when it shows up at more door in a few weeks.

A good friend just fired his up for the first time this weekend and he has positive things to say about it.

There's a sucker born every minute, nomsayin?

schmidlove likes this.
  18. Zapy

Zapy

I'll have to get a picture when I'm back in town, but just updated my kettle to a keggle built by one of my coworkers. Just have a single port now, but it's pretty impressive, and it expands the brewhouse enough so that I can brew a barrel fill in two batches.

19. surlytheduff

surlytheduff

So, the flashing fix ended up not working that well. It was definitely needed - I was wasting tons of heat up the side of the kettle (not to mention getting ballvalve & sightglass extremely hot). The burner was too low though, even with the extended windscreen. Also, the thin flashing sheets were starting to breakdown.

So last weekend I found a local welder who removed the legs completely from the body and re-welded it all the way up for $25. Did a test boil with it and it made a huge difference. Brought 7 gallons to a boil a lot quicker, and the ballvalve & sightglass were not flesh-meltingly hot.

20. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I used my Blichmann burner this weekend and I have to say, it is pretty awesome. Putting it together was a piece of cake. It's sturdy as hell and the 24" leg extensions keep the kettle at a nice, convenient height.

The burner is super quiet. I could hear it when I was kneeling down near the burner itself, but when I was standing, barely a whisper. Defintely quieter than my last burner which sounded like a jet engine.

It heated 7 gallons strike water up very quickly. With my prior burner, I always milled my grain while waiting for the strike water to get to temp. Usually had plenty of time after milling my grain since the old burner was such a hunk of junk. This past brew day saw me rushing to get the 22 lbs of grain milled as the water was ready before I finished milling.

Can't really speak to how efficient it is with regards to propane usuage, but it is said to sip where some other burners slurp.

The only issue I had this weekend was that the burner was so powerful it had my sight glass violently boiling even though I had the shield under it. Need to figure that out (bigger shield, perhaps).

It's not an inexpensive piece of equipment, but it's definitely a quality burner that I don't see myself replacing any time soon.

hamberder, Five28 hz and Thorpe like this.