New equipment and/or upgrades discussion

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by stakem, Aug 23, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Five28 hz

Five28 hz

Do want, can't afford right now.

2. axeman9182

axeman9182

SirDickButts likes this.
  3. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy

You should get a kickback from them. First opened this thread last night. Bought 2 last night.

4. Snarf

Snarf

After brewing about 500 gallons all grain with a corona mill, I just used my new roller mill. I'm so excited I might brew twice today.

5. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

6. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

i've been thinking about purchasing the hydra for a while now. these hot summer days in TX can be a PITA.

7. axeman9182

axeman9182

I haven't been able to take too much advantage of mine yet, because the groundwater is still pretty warm. Doesn't matter how much coil there is, I can't really get beers below 90 or so with a chiller this time of year. That said, I do get down to that a bit faster than before. Really looking forward to seeing what it can do once the summer's over.

8. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

im using a pre-chiller/immersion chiller combo right now. i get the wort down to 100-90 and then add ice into the pre-chiller bucket, stirring both wort and pre-chiller bucket like a mad man! it usually takes around 15 mins to get to 66-68 degrees.

i was thinking of switching over to a submersible pump and recirculating ice water through the pump, back into the ice water bucket.

9. axeman9182

axeman9182

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a pump to run ice water through the chiller as well. Right now, I chill to about 90, rack to the fermentor, and just stick that in an ice bath and leave it for a while. Works well enough that I might be too lazy to get a pump setup going.

10. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I bought the Blichmann beer gun last week. Haven't used it yet. I need to get a splitter or some sort before I can use it. Planning on using it to bottle the TBHC IPA, so I hope it really is as easy as folks say it is.

11. Thorpe

Thorpe

It really is insanely easy. Have pressure on keg and gun around 4 psi and make sure the keg is nice and cold. I usually use cold water for my StarSan solution as well as an extra preventative against foaming.

12. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Do you use a separate co2 tank for the gun or a splitter with one co2 tank for both gun and keg? I wouldn't mind getting a back up tank for times when my primary tank runs out, but not really looking to spend the extra money on tank/regulator if a splitter will work just as easily.

13. Thorpe

Thorpe

I either use two separate tanks or a single tank that has two separate regulators, but that's just because I have them. In the past, I had used a splitter with the pressure at 4 psi and that works fine too.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  14. axeman9182

axeman9182

I typically use two separate tanks because I like having a second tank on hand for serving in case my first tank runs out.

15. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

been thinking about purchasing the blichmann beer gun as well...

i've been using my "we no need no stinking beer gun" filler and it works quite well.

16. justforrazors

justforrazors

I approve of the beer gun. I actually haven't used any other counterpressure fillers, but it works very well and I have no complaints.

17. schmidlove

schmidlove

By chance do you know the BTU's, or have a link? Trying to gauge burner power by boil time. I'v been shopping around for a single burner, found a "Bayou Classic Burner 55,000 BTU's" on CL, with a 7.5 gal aluminum pot (asking $75, $40-55 to low of an offer for used?). Anyone notice differences in aluminum vs stainless steel besides heating and cooling? Cleaning agents are limited with aluminum too right?

Upgrading my set up to all grain, most likely staying with 5 gal batches. Any advice/recommendations are appreciated

18. Five28 hz

Five28 hz

Definitely get a 42 qt boil kettle for 5 gallon batches. A 30 qt boil kettle is way too limiting, especially for brews with 90+ minute boil times.

schmidlove and Beerontwowheels like this.
  19. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I'm going off memory, but I think the blichmann is like 72k BTUs.

It's treated me well. A big improvement over my last burner from bass pro shop. Brings strike water up to temp quickly and boils in no time. Burns cleaner than the last cheapo I had. No soot to wipe off at the end of the brew day.

I'd recommend it. It's pricey, but will last you a loooong time.

Five28 hz and schmidlove like this.
  20. schmidlove

schmidlove

Thanks for that info @Five28, I tossed around the idea of a 10 gal pot but saw that add and justified the purchase due to price. Beerontwowheels I'll definitely consider the upfront cost as an investment, even if it's not that brand/model, I can see the extra power alone being a time saver which only saves money in my eyes. Thanks guys, appreciate the advice!

Five28 hz and FTowne like this.