Announcement New ownership for TalkBeer

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gene, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gene

Gene Administrator Staff Member

For me, like so many of you, to say I'm "passionate about beer" is a significant understatement. I thoroughly enjoy beer itself, of course, but it's everything that comes before and after the beer that keeps me interested: The people who brew it all over the world; the art, science, nuance, creativity, and collective discovery of it; the amazing way "beer culture" in any locale can act as a seed that grows so rapidly into meaningful relationships and strong communities. A little over five years ago, I got the sense that there was room for a place that could truly focus on fostering all those things. I mentioned the notion while chatting with my dad one afternoon. He really set the whole thing into motion when he asked, "Well, why don't you just make it yourself?" A few weeks later, we had BeerTrading.org, the site that would evolve into TalkBeer.

The five years since have been filled with countless new friendships, amazing experiences, lots of shenanigans, and even some pain and loss that we got through together. These things have reshaped who I am as a person and expanded my understanding of the world for the better. Say what you will about the internet - the many examples of positivity, generosity, camaraderie, and love are by far the defining identity of this community. It is not like any other forum, and that's thanks to you guys.

This has always been a passion project for me. When the "day job" and "real life" get crazier - and they never seem to stop lately - I'm left with less and less time to keep making TalkBeer the bigger and better place it can be. While I've poured lots of love, blood, sweat, and tears into TalkBeer over the years, I feel like there's still a ton of opportunity for even more good stuff, if only I had a little more time to dedicate to it. This leads me to today's announcement.

Keith Ubben runs HomeBrewTalk.com, one of the best beer-related forums on the internet. He knows the craft beer community, and he's been 'one of us' for a long time. I am really excited to announce that Keith has taken on full ownership of TalkBeer.com as of today. Keith (TxBrew), with the help of Lorena (Yooper), who is co-administrator on BrewersFriend.com and HomebrewTalk.com, will take on the admin duties here on TalkBeer.com. I think they're exactly the right people for the job.

So what does this mean? The mods and I will continue to be here moderating, with Keith/Lorena taking over in the admin role as well as the social media accounts. Over time, Keith/Lorena will take a more active role in the community, make improvements, fulfill some of those feature requests, upgrade and fix things, decide whether to add new mods, and so on.

I'm very excited - I think this is going to be a hugely positive thing for this community, and I can't wait to see where we go from here.

See you in the forums!

Gene

KevSal, timotao, amk and 76 others like this.
  2. Gene

Gene Administrator Staff Member

jmgrub, arren, apatrick17 and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.