New to site - Pro Brewer feels at home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewbrews

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Matthew Steinberg. I have been a professional brewer for the better part of 2 decades in Massachusetts. I currently am the Brewmaster for High Horse in Amherst, MA. Before this, I held many brewing positions at amazing breweries in MA, and I also founded my own beer company. I just wanted to introduce myself and say... hey! Got some questions about what it's like being a brewer? Come down to HH sometime and check out the beers I've been brewing.

Do you ever get down?

giphy.gif

I see what you did there.

I brew a variety but focus on Hop forward beers. our guests drink more of the hoppy beers than the others overall, but being in a college town, we also sell a ton of Witbier and Kolsch.

today's list

HOPPY
Satisfaction IPA - 7.2% centennial, citra
Another Lover IPA - 6.3% galaxy, mosaic
Anti-Imperialist IPA - 4.4% centennial, palisade, glacier, simcoe

Not Hoppy
Mr White -5% - witbier with fresh grapefruit zest and pulp
Mr Pink - <5% - our version of a radler. Mr White with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
Minx Saison - dry rustic and classic. a real pleasant farmhouse ale
Kolner Dom -4.8% - Kolsch Style
Velvet Nitro - 5.25% - amber poured on nitro
Libertine Porter - 5% - a classic porter... quoted as "Pretty much best porter around" -Everyone
Intolerance - 5.25% - our Milk Stout
The Business - 9.25% - Coffee Imperial Stout

From Barrel Room

Barrel Aged Business - The Business aged in Bully Boy Rye Whiskey Barrels
Patience - Saison aged in white wine barrels for 1 year with Brettanomyces Bruxellensis

We also have cask beer every Friday. This Friday is Satisfaction dry hopped with Mosaic.

We do rotate a fair amount so there is always something new coming on.... we have a new English Bitter coming next week... we will call it Ordinary.
That work for ya?

and just to clarify. We are Tap House. We brew off-site and are about to break ground on our new brewery in Hadley Ma at our farm... about 2.5 miles from our tap house. We farm produce for our farm to table focused cuisine and plan to grow wheat, rye and spelt for brewing starting next year. these are exciting times!

Do you have a beard?

I assume you are referring to brewers can't really be very good unless we have a beard. technically, beards are as dirty as toilets... so I have heard. I tend to have a beard sometimes, and I keep it real clean.. other times no beard. I find my mashes smell the same regardless of whether I have a beard or not, but the beautiful thing is... fermenting yeast appreciates a well endowed beard. there you go.

Hey Matthew. Really enjoyed your beers with Blatant. Once the new brewery is up and running, any chance we'll eventually see some High Horse closer to the city?

Hello. My name is Matthew Steinberg. I have been a professional brewer for the better part of 2 decades in Massachusetts. I currently am the Brewmaster for High Horse in Amherst, MA. Before this, I held many brewing positions at amazing breweries in MA, and I also founded my own beer company. I just wanted to introduce myself and say... hey! Got some questions about what it's like being a brewer? Come down to HH sometime and check out the beers I've been brewing.

Do you ever get down?

You've only answered one of the two obvious interpretations of this question.

Hey Matthew. Really enjoyed your beers with Blatant. Once the new brewery is up and running, any chance we'll eventually see some High Horse closer to the city?

Thanks for the kind words about BLATANT. I have stepped aside from that company but my partner still operates and the beers are being brewed at Brewmaster Brewing in Williamsburg. Good people. Good beer.
absolutely on High Horse coming closer to the city. In fact, right now, our Coffee Imperial Stout - THE BUSINESS, is on draft at Armsby Abbey. and Row34 is serving Satisfaction IPA.

We plan to sell a lot of cans and growlers at the brewery -- and whatever else we have left, we will happily send to your favorite shops around MA.

Latest posts

Back