New WA/OR breweries I'm stoked about...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltersrj

Reaction score
WA: Holy Mountain (Seattle)
https://www.facebook.com/HolyMountainBrewing
http://seattlebeernews.com/2014/05/holy-mountain-brewing-looks-to-fill-niche-in-seattle-beer-scene/

OR: Wolves and People (Portland)
https://www.facebook.com/wolvesandpeople
http://newschoolbeer.com/2014/09/wolves-and-people-farmhouse-brewery.html

I am so stoked to finally have a Seattle brewery that will focus on sours, saisons, and BA beers (pretty much all the things I love) and a constantly rotating lineup.

I am also stoked for the W&P brewery as it sound very well planned with a great owner/head brewer who is going to put a lot of love into another awesome OR farmhouse brewery like AA, DG, and Logsdon.

Cheers all,
Ryan

WA: Holy Mountain (Seattle)
https://www.facebook.com/HolyMountainBrewing
http://seattlebeernews.com/2014/05/holy-mountain-brewing-looks-to-fill-niche-in-seattle-beer-scene/

OR: Wolves and People (Portland)
https://www.facebook.com/wolvesandpeople
http://newschoolbeer.com/2014/09/wolves-and-people-farmhouse-brewery.html

I am so stoked to finally have a Seattle brewery that will focus on sours, saisons, and BA beers (pretty much all the things I love) and a constantly rotating lineup.

I am also stoked for the W&P brewery as it sound very well planned with a great owner/head brewer who is going to put a lot of love into another awesome OR farmhouse brewery like AA, DG, and Logsdon.

Cheers all,
Ryan

I see that Holy Mountain just started brewing - any idea of when they're supposed to open? Are they going to have any non-barrel aged beers that should be ready sooner rather than later?

Did anyone else hear that Fat Head's is expanding with a second brewery in downtown Portland? Crazy!

I see that Holy Mountain just started brewing - any idea of when they're supposed to open? Are they going to have any non-barrel aged beers that should be ready sooner rather than later?
Yeah they're working on some right now. I believe they're doing double brew days to get ready as quickly as possible. Just did a double oat brown (a portion of which will be bourbon barreled), and I believe they're working on lagers, saisons, etc. Looking forward to visiting them!

was just reading about these same two this week, and agree that both sound promising. I'm excited to give them a try as well!

I had the Holy Mountain Equinox fresh hop at Pine Box, it's legit. I was so stoked to find out their name was taken from one of the greatest albums of all time.

I had the Holy Mountain Equinox fresh hop at Pine Box, it's legit. I was so stoked to find out their name was taken from one of the greatest albums of all time.

Oh nice. So they already have some of their beers on? I saw that they're launching at Pine Box next week but thought I'd miss them on my visit this weekend.

Nice! I'm excited for Wolves and People. Fat Head's is also gonna have a mug club that gets you a dollar off every Fat Head's pour (I believe the mugs are also larger than a pint so you get more) for $75/year. I think there will be a mug club members-only party with free food at some point too.

Sounds promising, but not very cost friendly at almost $30/bottle. And only 6 varieties? I'll be passing until you send me some bottles to reevaluate my position.
$30/bottle is the same cost as Ale Apothecary and that's totally worth it. Also the same price as many RS beers which I'm fine with. I'll send you some W&P for bottles of Chicago house lambic (Loerik, Spuytin, etc). I would also settle for some SA MMM.

$30/bottle is the same cost as Ale Apothecary and that's totally worth it. Also the same price as many RS beers which I'm fine with. I'll send you some W&P for bottles of Chicago house lambic (Loerik, Spuytin, etc). I would also settle for some SA MMM.
Ale Apothecary is a proven commodity at this point. Until W&P produces sours at that level, $30 is a bit high.

Ale Apothecary is a proven commodity at this point. Until W&P produces sours at that level, $30 is a bit high.
I can definitely understand that reasoning which is why a few friends of mine didn't jump the gun. I do have 4-5 friends that did join with me and we're all hoping it is well worth it. I have a hard time believing it won't be as I think they have a good business plan as well as a great head brewer, fresh fruits and nuts on property, and great goals like a coolship, foeders, puncheons, etc. Really looking forward to it and it will make an Oregon trip even more fun when I have to drive to De Garde to pick up our beers next year ;)

Only 35 cellar club memberships left for Wolves and People! Already nearly 30% funded. Help them help you get more coolship beer :)

Three Magnets is open-ish! I am a little bummed that I missed their soft launch, but I can't wait to get my butt down there.

From their Facebook page: "As many of you have probably heard, we had a secret soft launch last night, and it was super fun! Now that we've gotten past the first day, we're ready to extend our soft launch to our Facebook followers.

For the next couple of weeks we will be open from 4-ish to 10-ish, and in the back bar only, which means we're 21+ for now. We are only serving cold ones (including some tasty local guest taps!) and French fries this weekend. Next week we'll roll out some burgers, and over the next month we'll roll out the rest of the menu (including seafood), cocktails, our family friendly section, and expanded hours. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for updates.

And remember that this is a soft launch, which means that we are working out our kinks, so patience is a requirement for entry. We are currently experiencing some POS issues that we are working through, and are figuring a lot of things out so that we can offer a great experience once we officially open. This, at times, will lead to hold-ups and long lines. YOU'VE BEER WARNED!"

https://www.facebook.com/ThreeMagnets

Three Magnets is open-ish! I am a little bummed that I missed their soft launch, but I can't wait to get my butt down there.

From their Facebook page: "As many of you have probably heard, we had a secret soft launch last night, and it was super fun! Now that we've gotten past the first day, we're ready to extend our soft launch to our Facebook followers.

For the next couple of weeks we will be open from 4-ish to 10-ish, and in the back bar only, which means we're 21+ for now. We are only serving cold ones (including some tasty local guest taps!) and French fries this weekend. Next week we'll roll out some burgers, and over the next month we'll roll out the rest of the menu (including seafood), cocktails, our family friendly section, and expanded hours. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for updates.

And remember that this is a soft launch, which means that we are working out our kinks, so patience is a requirement for entry. We are currently experiencing some POS issues that we are working through, and are figuring a lot of things out so that we can offer a great experience once we officially open. This, at times, will lead to hold-ups and long lines. YOU'VE BEER WARNED!"

https://www.facebook.com/ThreeMagnets

Yeah. Hopefully it won't be to long. I'm not worried about beer quality because everything I have had from them has been pretty solid. I'll give it some time and then creep in there.

I love 3 magnets... those guys are awesome, and I'm happy to see their brewery going so well.
I had "Rainy Daze" at the Tumwater brewfest, and I gotta say... it was miles above and beyond every pour of it I've had since. I dunno if they did a special batch for the event or what, but I really wish they'd go back to that. Still an awesome brewery. Dig their saisons.

Stopped by Holy Mountain last week but they were still under construction? I'm pretty stoked for their beers. All of the people around town who "know" good beer speak very highly of them.
Only had the hoppy saison and that fresh hop - both were pretty good.

Wolves and People just released 25 additional Cellar Club memberships. Thought I'd spread the word in case anyone wants in.

Cheers
Ryan

So HOLY F#!%ing MOUNTAIN?!? AMIRIGHT?!? They are putting out some killer beers. I've had a few on tap around town but plan to hit them up at the tasting room tomorrow night after work with my wife and friends. Will post my thoughts after. So far I'm impressed.

So HOLY F#!%ing MOUNTAIN?!? AMIRIGHT?!? They are putting out some killer beers. I've had a few on tap around town but plan to hit them up at the tasting room tomorrow night after work with my wife and friends. Will post my thoughts after. So far I'm impressed.

Headed up there around 5 today. Love everything I've had on tap around town, very excited to try more.

So as promised, a recap of my first visit to HM. Lots of parking in the back and inside it's very industrial and was absolutely packed which is great for them. I ended up having everything on the menu except for the double brown and the seer since Id already tried that.

Every beer was honestly very good for the style but the standouts to me were their gose and the pale ale. If I can get full growlers of that gose and pale ale eventually I will be a happy man. Honestly the best gose and pale ale I've ever had and I've had quite a few of both.

Will be back often since its 5 minutes from work.

#GOHAWKS!!!

So as promised, a recap of my first visit to HM. Lots of parking in the back and inside it's very industrial and was absolutely packed which is great for them. I ended up having everything on the menu except for the double brown and the seer since Id already tried that.

Every beer was honestly very good for the style but the standouts to me were their gose and the pale ale. If I can get full growlers of that gose and pale ale eventually I will be a happy man. Honestly the best gose and pale ale I've ever had and I've had quite a few of both.

Will be back often since its 5 minutes from work.

#GOHAWKS!!!
That pale is crazy good.

The pale is damn good, and while I enjoyed the Gose, it needs a bit more tartness to be true to style IMO. And the tartness is what I love in a Gose. I could drink that pale for days, and that double brown on nitro is killer.

HolyMtn ive got a few questions for you:
1. Are there plans to do bottle releases in the future? I'd love to see bottles of some Saisons, barrel aged saisons, and your gose.
2. Will I eventually be able to get growlers of your gose and Saisons? They're so drinkable and Id love to be able to have some at home.
3. No question here, just want you to know that IMO you guys are just killing it. All the styles are great, the tasting room is awesome, etc. Keep it up!
Ryan

Thanks a ton Ryan!

1. Yes, we just had a meeting this morning about our first bottling hopefully in the next couple of weeks. After that happens and conditions properly, we'll release them through the tap room. We will be doing small bottling runs of certain barrels when they are ready after that, so keep checking on us. Most of the stuff we brewed and barreled initially are on track to show signs of being ready in spring, as well as the non sour and Brett stuff we have in spirits barrels. Midnight Still, our Imperial Stout, and a bunch of our King's Head in Rye and Bourbon barrels. Barleywine is still hanging out in barrels, as well as some of our Bonne Nuit. So, lots of bottling coming your way.

2. I'm expecting to be able to get there for the Saisons once we get a few things dialed in as far as growlers go. We would love to straight up bottle the Gose, and we filled puncheons up last week with the new batch. Really happy with where this beer is headed and we learned a lot from the first batch.

3. Thank you! It feels good to have the tap room open and everyone coming by for a visit and some beers.

HolyMtn When you talk about small bottling runs of single barrels I'm assuming it'll basically be like the Upright Sole Comp releases? That would be sweet as those are pretty fun bottles to try. I'm really looking forward to bottles and growler fills as I stated earlier. You should basically just set aside a bottle or two of each limited release for me as I'm just a few minutes away via work ;)

Cheers!

Stopped in to HM on Saturday with some friends and the gose was great. The nitro tap too was good. Cant wait to try more.

HolyMtn When you talk about small bottling runs of single barrels I'm assuming it'll basically be like the Upright Sole Comp releases? That would be sweet as those are pretty fun bottles to try. I'm really looking forward to bottles and growler fills as I stated earlier. You should basically just set aside a bottle or two of each limited release for me as I'm just a few minutes away via work ;)

Cheers!

We have some specific barrels that will be for single bottling runs, and lots more to come in the future. It would be a gross understatement if I said Upright hasn't been an absolute inspiration to us the last 6 years or so while we hatched the idea for this brewery and the direction we want to take it.

HolyMtn will you be bottling in a specific format (375 ml, 750 ml, 22 oz, etc) for all of your beers or will they be bottles differently depending on style?

I'd personally love to see C&C 375 ml and 750 ml bottles of BA saison, Sours, gose, etc while 12 oz or 375 ml bottles are used primarily for high abv offerings but that's just my opinion. Stoked for bottles of your brett saison.

HolyMtn Hey Colin, can you tell us what style of beer (or any additional details) the Pine Box 3rd Nail is? I can't wait to show up next Monday to buy bottles regardless as everything you guys are doing kicks ass. Can't wait for bottles of your saisons, sours, (gose cans please), etc. Cheers!

Back