NHC 2018: Who's entering, results, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely entering this year, though largely not sure what. My club's competition is in about a month and I use that every year as a testing ground for what to enter into NHC.

Just registered. First time for me in spite of the fact I started homebrewing in 2002.

Did not choose any alternate Judging Centers. Should I go back in and edit that? Chose Philly as primary choice...

Just registered. First time for me in spite of the fact I started homebrewing in 2002.

Did not choose any alternate Judging Centers. Should I go back in and edit that? Chose Philly as primary choice...

I typically choose the option close enough for in person drop off as my primary and then all the others as my alternates. I don't think I've ever heard of anybody not getting in from only putting one location down, but I'd rather not risk it. I think I've gotten my primary location every year but one.

Just got my email that I'm in for the NY regional. Must have been big interest this year because I requested six entries and only got four.

Wrapped up my entries. Sending to Philly. Two beers, one mead.

23F: lambic style fermented with cab sauv grapes (2nd time entering this)
33B: RIS aged in whiskey barrel with Coffee
M2C: Orange Blossom honey with black currants

Good luck at regionals!

Right now I'm leaning towards entering my sparkling mango short mead, a fruited berliner, and a mild for sure. Not decided on slot #4, but will also see how my entries do in my club's competition this weekend.

Right now I'm leaning towards entering my sparkling mango short mead, a fruited berliner, and a mild for sure. Not decided on slot #4, but will also see how my entries do in my club's competition this weekend.

Deadline to pay is tomorrow, right? How long after you enter and pay can you edit your entries?

Deadline to pay is tomorrow, right? How long after you enter and pay can you edit your entries?

Right up until you ship. At least that's been the case in the past. You had to pay within the three day window, but then could change the specific entry info afterwards.

edit: Yeah, if you scroll partway down the email it says that entries can be edited through March 30th.

Right up until you ship. At least that's been the case in the past. You had to pay within the three day window, but then could change the specific entry info afterwards.

edit: Yeah, if you scroll partway down the email it says that entries can be edited through March 30th.
Thanks, I obviously didn't read the full email. :oops:

My stout is still in the barrel, so no clue if it will turn out well enough to justify sending it off. Might have to switch that one out at the last minute if it sucks.

That's why I love my club's competition. It's always this time of year and it's close to the size of a regional (I think we have just under 650 entries), so I enter *everything* as a testing ground for what's worth putting into NHC.

Nothing in my inbox or junk folder.

Guess I got my answer on the alternate judging center question...

Still haven't decided on all my entries. Kegging a fruited berliner today, and then will evaluate on Wednesday night and drop off my entries in NYC on Thursday.

Welp, after digging through bottles, I have a conundrum on what to enter. Bottled up my Czech pils, English barleywine, and BA blended ale but I also have bottles of a peach AWA, a stonefruit blend AWA, and a passion fruit AWA also available. Wish we had more than four slots this year.

Welp, after digging through bottles, I have a conundrum on what to enter. Bottled up my Czech pils, English barleywine, and BA blended ale but I also have bottles of a peach AWA, a stonefruit blend AWA, and a passion fruit AWA also available. Wish we had more than four slots this year.
I'll send you a label. Problem solved.

Srs.

I judged imperial stout and strong European lager over the weekend at AleSmith. I like the new scoresheets as it's quicker to get through judging the beer before discussion with your partner.

Apparently they are just scanning scoresheets instead of sending them in the mail to the AHA so hopefully we'll get results posted quicker than previous years.

General question. How many bottles do you need for NHC? I let my membership lapse but one of my goals this year to to renew and have a couple of my sour beers ready to enter for '19

General question. How many bottles do you need for NHC? I let my membership lapse but one of my goals this year to to renew and have a couple of my sour beers ready to enter for '19

Two for first round, three for second round. Although you could probably get away with two for second round. They only need the third bottle if you get first and move on the the best of show round.

Thanks! I had four in my head. Good to know on the fifth but really just making sure so I know which bottles to reserve if I like how they're tasting.

Back