Northern Brewer & Midwest Supplies Bought by AB InBev

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was talking to somebody earlier about this and they had a pretty interesting take. It may be a way for them to keep track of trends in homebrewing so that they can help push their craft brands in the direction the consumer base is headed.

That's a good point.

Interesting considering Homebrewing is on the decline nationwide. Nonetheless, I try my best to support my local HBS, haven't ordered from NB/MW in a couple years.

I've always felt that for a lot of people homebrewing was a reaction to the inability to get good beer in their local market. There is now an embarrassment of riches in a lot of local craft beer scenes

Morebeer > northern brewer.

I've done as little business as possible with them since they had cc info hacked into and denied it for months on end until finally owning up to it.... only to issue gift cards to those affected.

Interesting considering Homebrewing is on the decline nationwide. Nonetheless, I try my best to support my local HBS, haven't ordered from NB/MW in a couple years.
Those were our local stores so it's a little depressing. I don't brew anymore but it still sucks since that seems like a business where you want smart people that you can develop a relationship with.

The closest homebrew store to me is 50 minutes away, and includes a trip across a large bridge with a toll. So it's just easier for me to order online (especially with flat-rate shipping).

That being said, I stopped ordering from NB a while ago, when it started taking 3,4,5 days for them to ship my order. MoreBeer offers the free shipping on orders over $59, but everything they have is more expensive than most other places, which pays for that free shipping.

Adventures in Homebrewing is solid. If I want my order shipped quickly and on my doorstep in two days, I will go with Rebel Brewer (hoping they at least have what I need in stock).

Well god damn, didn't see this coming. Lucky enough to have a homebrew store nearby though.

I really enjoyed watching those BrewTV (think it was called that) episodes from Northern Brewer. They discontinued them a while back I think... memory is fuzzy. Thinking about it gives me a lot of nostalgic happiness though, remembering when I was first discovering how to brew...

Damn, I need to move and get a garage.

The closest homebrew store to me is 50 minutes away, and includes a trip across a large bridge with a toll. So it's just easier for me to order online (especially with flat-rate shipping).

That being said, I stopped ordering from NB a while ago, when it started taking 3,4,5 days for them to ship my order. MoreBeer offers the free shipping on orders over $59, but everything they have is more expensive than most other places, which pays for that free shipping.

Adventures in Homebrewing is solid. If I want my order shipped quickly and on my doorstep in two days, I will go with Rebel Brewer (hoping they at least have what I need in stock).
The main thing about Morebeer for me is that I can get the free shipping on the 10 lb bags of grain, which comes out reasonably priced compared to other places. And since the only homebrew shop near me has a shitty selection and is overpriced anyway, that's my go to for grain. I don't buy hops from Morebeer though, the prices are outrageous.

Well god damn, didn't see this coming. Lucky enough to have a homebrew store nearby though.

I really enjoyed watching those BrewTV (think it was called that) episodes from Northern Brewer. They discontinued them a while back I think... memory is fuzzy. Thinking about it gives me a lot of nostalgic happiness though, remembering when I was first discovering how to brew...

Damn, I need to move and get a garage.

All those guys left Northern Brewer a few years ago. Dawson and Keeler are at BSG and Chip is at Summit. Chip has a new youtube page Chop and Brew where he does some similar type videos. Not nearly as frequent as the BrewingTV ones were nor quite as good but still decent.

The main thing about Morebeer for me is that I can get the free shipping on the 10 lb bags of grain, which comes out reasonably priced compared to other places. And since the only homebrew shop near me has a shitty selection and is overpriced anyway, that's my go to for grain. I don't buy hops from Morebeer though, the prices are outrageous.

Same here. I can get most everything I want from Morebeer in 1day for free/$10 shipping. I'll buy a few things from my LHBS from time to time but the selection is slim and prices are generally higher.

I haven't ordered anything from Northern Brewer or Midwest in a while. They never had anything I wanted at the right price. I did finally unsubscribe from their newsletter with the reason being that they sold out to AB-InBev.

Every now and then I'll order equipment from Midwest/Northern Brewer because my regular shop doesn't do flat rate shipping. Everything else I order from Keystone Homebrew. Shipping only takes a day, and I can order my grains specified to the ounce and crushed/mixed by batch.

I think you need to do whatever you need to do to make the best beer possible, even if that means ordering from NB now.

Honestly, unless there was a particularly great store right around the block I'd probably be doing the same as I am now. I like having everything shipped to the house ready to go, and I have no desire to add to my brewday by crushing my own grains.

Honestly, unless there was a particularly great store right around the block I'd probably be doing the same as I am now. I like having everything shipped to the house ready to go, and I have no desire to add to my brewday by crushing my own grains.
sack up, bruh. ;)

I feel bad for all of you who don't have a good lhbs. Or a local maltster for that matter.

Me too. I live in Colorado Springs (not a "big city" by any means) and we have 3 solid home brew stores in town. The one closest to me has a new industrial grain mill so I usually get my ingredients there. The one downtown has a little better selection of hops and yeast, so I go there if store #1 doesn't have it, they also have lots of legging supplies so that is good. Lastly there is another store that is a bit further away and attached to a brewery so they can order Colorado Malting Co grain and I go there sometimes just for that. I haven't needed to order anything online for a couple of years.

Edit: except specialty/exotic yeast, I have ordered that online.

Back