NWO: WiF - Four Roses Barrel Aged Store Picks

Discussion in 'Beer-It-Forward' started by GuisseppeFranco, Dec 16, 2017.

1. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

Blatantly stealing LaChupacabra's rules for this...

The Basics:

There will be 10 participants in this WIF. Each person will buy a 750ml private selection bottling of FOUR ROSES SINGLE BARREL CASK STRENGTH. Four Roses has 10 distinct recipes (OBSV, OBSK, OBSO, OBSQ, OBSF, OESV, OESK, OESO, OESQ, OESF) and the goal is to have each of these recipes represented in this WIF. If someone else has already submitted a bottle from a specific recipe, it cannot be repeated by another participant. In the end, everyone involved will receive one sample from each of the ten recipes.

You will need to know about your store’s inventory prior to signing up for this WIF, as you need to designate which recipe you’re submitting upon signup.

Please provide as much information about your bottle as possible when you signup: recipe, age, rickhouse, abv, what store selected the barrel. I’d also like everyone to post or send me a photo of the bottle they’re submitting.

Logistics:

Each person will use a small funnel to split their 750ml bottle into 9 2oz sample vials and will mail those samples to me. You keep the last 7+ ounces of the bottle you purchase for yourself.

I will receive all of the samples, then reorganize them so every box has 9 new whiskeys in it. I then resend your package back to you.

Everyone ends up with 7oz of the whiskey they purchased and 2oz samples of each of the other 9 FR recipes.

You can purchase funnels here.and Boston rounds here

Additional details:

Target ship date will be three weeks from the time signups end, so it will be dependent on how quickly the spots fill -- Probably early January

Each person will need to include a return shipping label in the box they send me.

You are responsible for getting your samples to me safely and you will have to replace any broken or leaky samples.

I will return your samples to you in the same box and using the same packing materials that you send to me, so make sure to pack well and use a decent box.

2. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

Confirmed entrants so far...

GuisseppeFranco OESF Liquor Barn "Purple Rain" 118.4 8yrs 11mos KE 56-3J Nov. 2017
    Compton25 OESV 107 Liquor 10yrs 3mos Apr. 2017
    auracom OBSF Binny's 118.4 11yrs 7mos HW 32-3M Jan. 15, 2015
    Aaron from the Wood OBSQ Redstone Liquors 63.2 9yrs 4 mos LE 36-5R Aug. 19, 2016
    IndianaJones OESK Spec's 111 10yrs 0mos EN 52-2E Oct. 26 2015
    TheBus OBSK Rutledge 112.2 9yrs 6mos ME 25-2I Nov. 2014
    tikk OESQ Canal's Family Selection 113.4 9yrs 3mos NS 4-3E July 2016
    finest OESO Sunrise Cellars 111.2 9yr 1mos PN 59-2R

We're still in need of an OBSO and OBSV. If you have one of those recipes and would like to join, please send me a message ASAP.

Ratman, Fingolfin, jvanaus and 10 others like this.
  3. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian

If anyone wants to call the Lawrenceburg gift shop and see if they have either recipe of the master distiller picks? I could go get them this week after work.

jvanaus, ripps1, tikk and 3 others like this.
  4. Sideswipe

Sideswipe

In, if you’ll have me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tosh, Ratman, Fingolfin and 10 others like this.
  5. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

Happy to have you!

That leaves an OBSV. Who’s gonna claim that spot?

tosh, Ratman, Fingolfin and 6 others like this.
  6. omgeezo

omgeezo

I’ve got obsv

tikk, Ratman, Sideswipe and 5 others like this.
  7. omgeezo

omgeezo

‘The angels grabbed hold of this barrel and it was tough to wrestle away from their grip. A mere 90 bottles of this unctuous and silky bourbon flowed from this charred, American oak cask. It's no wonder we knew it was a hit the second we put nose to glass. The hallmark vanilla bean, caramel and oak characteristics are present and accounted for. But what really blew us away was its fruity complexity from start to finish. A melange of red and black fruits all held together by a hint of dried orange peel. True greatness, bottled!’

OBSV. Selected by Bounty Hunter. 9 years 4 months. 57.5%

8. auracom

auracom

Looks like it's time for me to order another set of sample bottles

BuckTuckian, tosh, TheBus and 7 others like this.
  9. tikk

tikk

10. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

Awesome. I’ll send out PM’s tmrw.

11. libbey

libbey

Following

12. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

Ok, so with the addition of Sideswipe and omgeezo we have all 10 recipes.

[​IMG]

If any of you can provide any of the missing info for your bottle that would be great.

The links for small funnels and Boston Round bottles can be found in the original post of this thread.

Here's a blank label that BeersMorgan made that you can use to label your sample bottles.

[​IMG]

PM's being sent in a few.

GRDave, BuckTuckian, tosh and 5 others like this.
  13. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

And if it's ok with everyone involved, let's have the ship by date be Friday, January 5th. If anyone has a problem with that due to the holidays, just let me know and we'll adjust as needed.

BuckTuckian, Compton25, tosh and 3 others like this.
  14. Sideswipe

Sideswipe

Picked the OBSO up at a BevMo in Palmdale Ca about five years ago. Don’t know why there’s no store stamp or bottling date. Maybe they started that practice more recently? My other Private Selections all have stores and dates, but they are newer than the OBSO.

Compton25, TheBus, tosh and 2 others like this.
  15. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

Ok, so I’ll just fill in the Bottling Date as 2012. That’s pretty cool that we have that old of a bottle in this thing.

16. tikk

tikk

Ordered my Boston rounds and funnel today.

17. Sideswipe

Sideswipe

Unopened. Been sitting in the bunker all these years.

[​IMG]

18. IndianaJones

IndianaJones

TheBus had an idea for everyone to include a mystery sample, if the consensus was everyone would enjoy that?

19. TheBus

TheBus

If folks were up for adding an additional 9 samples of another whiskey in the same box... I think it would be a cool way to try a lot more whiskeys. I was thinking relatively limited bottles (along the lines of Midwinters, ECBP, random scotches, etc) or another store pick... possibly hide the samples with paper or painters tape to make it a blind tasting?

I certainly don’t want to complicate things or make this more difficult for GuisseppeFranco. I’m definitely excited for the four roses alone, but open for expansion if you guys are.

20. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

I don’t mind the work, I just wonder how feasible it is for each of us to gather up another whiskey that all of the others haven’t had. But if it being new to everyone isn’t the goal then I think it can work a little bit easier. One of us though, prob me, would have to know what they all were to eliminate duplicates, which again, I don’t mind.

Tlo4sho, libbey, TheBus and 1 other person like this.