NY Zwanze 2017 Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmicevan

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread on this, thought it might be cool to have some discussion around bottle sharing and whatnot with just a week to go.

Spuyten Duyvil and Fools Gold are both hosting this year.

I'm heading to Fools Gold as I did the past two years. Anyone else?

In NY that day and was going to try and hit Fools Gold. FB event says 7am but it sounds more like open at 11 with this schedule:

11am Cuveest - Gilloise
12pm Vigneronne
1pm St. Lamvinus
2pm Nath (Rhubarb Lambic)
3pm Zwanze

In NY that day and was going to try and hit Fools Gold. FB event says 7am but it sounds more like open at 11 with this schedule:

11am Cuveest - Gilloise
12pm Vigneronne
1pm St. Lamvinus
2pm Nath (Rhubarb Lambic)
3pm Zwanze

I think they'll be open at 7. They opened at 7 last year and then just didn't tap the first Cantillon keg until 11, so looks like a similar deal this year. The rest of the taplist should be pretty good as well.

Got a few pals in town and am trying to decide which one to do. What time has the line started at Spuyten in previous years? Also does either venue allow bottle sharing?

My GF just moved to Williamsburg and is about a 10 minute walk to Spuyten so I'm planning on giving it a shot. Hoping they will also be pouring Nath

Thanks! Assume there are bottles available at open then?

Don't recall tbh because I don't think our group ordered much of anything in the way of bottles. Last year we basically spent 7-9 drinking the various HF and other tasty kegs on, started popping our own bottles at about 9 and continued to do that basically until 3 (while ordering Cantillon pours every hour starting at 11), getting summat Zwanze and then departing shortly after for more beer at One Mile House.

Got a few pals in town and am trying to decide which one to do. What time has the line started at Spuyten in previous years? Also does either venue allow bottle sharing?

I haven't been to Spuyten since the second Zwanze Day, but they at least used to. Plenty of bottle sharing going on at FG last year.

Thanks! Assume there are bottles available at open then?

I've done Patrick's bar the past 3 years...always a little different, but no bottles for sale at open. Cantillon doesn't really get flowing until the first keg or when the crowd starts bottle sharing their own. 7am is breakfast and usually a nice taplist. The real reason to go at 7a or thereabouts is to get a seat (it is a LONG day), but with a seat comes waitress service so space out your ordering if you plan to hang for the full day.

Who knows what tricks are up Patrick's sleeve, but I wouldn't expect great bottles available at open...I'd expect some cool taps, a good breakfast and a lot of nervous beer geeks looking around waiting for someone to pull out the first share bottle. They didn't even say if there would be bottles...2 years ago it was hommage and vig which you saw on every other table.

Thanks for the info guys. Was going to hit a show at 2 so will just try to make it work the best I can.

Fool's Gold list so far:

CURRENT DRAFT LIST
more will be added as the week goes on

Allagash Resurgam
Baladin Al-Iksir Zymatore Ch. Drouin Pommeau
BFM Bon-Chien
Bruery Frucht: Lemon & Cherries
Captain Lawrence Leaking Staves
Hill Farmstead Society & Solitude #5
Hill Farmstead Society & Solitude #6
Equilibrium Fluctuation
Graft Mountains & Valleys
Grimm Afterimage
Hanssens Oude Lambic
J. Wakefield Sicker Than Your Average
Night Shift Boysen Weisse
Oersoep Brettalicious
Oxbow Luppolo
SingleCut Patent Applied For
Struisse Cuvee Delphine
Toccalmato Dr. Caligari
BOTTLES FROM THE CELLAR

3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze 2014
De Struise Black Albert 2013
De Struise Black Damnation (various varietals)
BFM Bon-Chien 2014 Large Format
BFM Bon-Chien 2015 Small
Crooked Stave Nightmare on Brett Leopold Aged 2015
Crooked Stave St. Bretta Citrus Wildbier 2014
Crooked Stave Surette 2014
Del Ducato L’Ultima Luna 2010
Fantome ete
Gueuzerie Tilquin Oude Quetsche 2013/2014
Hanssens Oudbeitje
North Cost Old Rasputin XVIII Wheat & Rye

Fool's Gold list so far:

CURRENT DRAFT LIST
more will be added as the week goes on
Struisse Cuvee Delphine

giphy.gif

People will be on line at Spuyten by 8. Tickets are $14 for a 6 oz pour of Zwanze and a glass. They'll sell those on line. Doors open at 10 (I think) and they're staggering the bottle sales (no specific times listed yet). It's a little crazy initially because they only let in 10-15 people at a time. But once you're in, it's super relaxed. The weather is supposed to be nice too.

And yes, they allow bottle sharing. It's part of what makes the day so great, along with the friends and the backyard setting.

Hey Padraig that must be Celcius, otherwise that would be pretty ****ing cold for the U.S.A. ;) Srs though, you're scaring everyone w/ your high of 26 degrees

Thanks for the info.

Having only ever celebrated Zwanze at night this daytime thing puts a whole different spin on it. Spuyten looking like the better option.

Spuyten list.

And here it is! The Most Important Part of Zwanze Day:

THE BEER LIST!

(Remember: even though all these beers are on the draft list, we only have 6 lines! -so they will be tapped over the course of the day, and not in this order...!)

Zwanze Day 2017 Draft & Bottle List:

Draft:
- Cantillon Iris Grand Cru 2013
- Cantillon Cuvee St. Gilloise
- Cantillon Classic Gueuze
- Cantillon Vigneronne (muscat grape)
- Cantillon Nath (rhubarb)
- Tilquin Oude Gueuze (Draft version) 2015
- Hanssens Experimental Raspberry 2015
- Hanssens Oudebeitje 2015 (strawberry)
- Hanssens Scarenbecca Kriek 2015
- Allagash Coolship Resurgam
- Oude Beersel Oude Vieux Raw Lambik
- Vanberg & DeWulf LambickX '11-'13
- Del Ducato/Oxbow Oude Brunello
- OEC/Loverbeer "Plumtastic" Grand Cru
- OEC Vindemia Noir #1
- Loverbeer For Fan (apricot)
- Alvinne Cuvee de Mortagne
- Crooked Stave Origins
- Wild Beer Co. Sour Blend 2015

Bottles:
- Panil Ambrata Barrique
- American Solera Foeder Apricot
- Crooked Stave Surette Reserva Blueberry
- Cascade Noyaux 2015
- De Ranke “Cuvee de Ranke” 2015
- Bruery Rueuze 2014
- Mikkeller/Lindemans Spontanbasil 2015
- Suarez Family Backroads
- Allgash Avancé 2016
- Firestone Walker Rose Bretta 2016
- Oxbow Momoko
- Mikkeller/To Øl Betelgueuze
- Highway Manor Mr. Strawberry
- Wild Creatures “Fly With Me”
- Wild Creatures “Tears of St. Laurent”

...as well as many bottles of lambic: Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Tilquin, and more!

Didn't see a thread on this, thought it might be cool to have some discussion around bottle sharing and whatnot with just a week to go.

Spuyten Duyvil and Fools Gold are both hosting this year.

I'm heading to Fools Gold as I did the past two years. Anyone else?

Planning on being at Fool's Gold again this year, very much looking forward to it.

How do they do the bottle sharing there? I'm trying to decide what to bring as well.

How do they do the bottle sharing there? I'm trying to decide what to bring as well.

usually it just sort of starts. not right when doors are open but once people are settled in and the bar is busy and what not. As for bottles, we always bring out great bottles...it's a great day for beer and you don't want to be the one standing there with a bottle that no one wants a pour from.

I grabbed the small table next to the golf game, any and all TBers welcome.

cantillon is now flowing at fools gold, tables are full in the back, bar seems 2 rows deep in most spots. still relatively reasonable considering zwanze.

St gil drinking great. got a few bottles open at my table but most ppl just hanging out vs crazy drinking. not even close to a ********

Back