NYC Airbnb help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFrank

Reaction score
Sure you guys get these all the time. Heading to NYC in April with wife and kids. We are looking at airbnb's and seeking input. Are there parts of Manhattan that we shouldn't stay in? Is Brooklyn close enough to do all the touristy stuff using public transit?

If anyone has an place they would suggest, pm me.

Thanks!

Sure you guys get these all the time. Heading to NYC in April with wife and kids. We are looking at airbnb's and seeking input. Are there parts of Manhattan that we shouldn't stay in? Is Brooklyn close enough to do all the touristy stuff using public transit?

Thanks!

Manhattan is fine. If you're going way way wayyyyyyyyy uptown I wouldn't recommend it, but likely fine. Brooklyn is absolutely close enough depending on what part of Brooklyn you're staying in. If you show us where you're looking at, it'll be easier to give you advice.

For example:
https://abnb.me/EVmg/BP7LxLBUfI

https://abnb.me/EVmg/5GaJ6RBVfI

If there are neighborhoods you would suggest or avoid, please chime in. Looking mainly for safer spots...never really been to NYC/surrounding areas.

In South Brooklyn, I'd stay east of Prospect Park and you're generally fine. North Brooklyn, Williamsburg and Greenpoint are fine though Greenpoint can be a pain commuting to and from.

Manhattan literally anything under 100th Street you should feel perfectly safe by and even spots north really are fine too.

As far as those two links, I'm totally fine with Bed-Stuy but I can see it seeming a little seedy to outsiders. It's also not as easy to get to Manhattan/touristy things. Greenwood is definitely better in that regard. You're close to Prospect Park and about 40 minutes from midtown Manhattan.

For example:
https://abnb.me/EVmg/BP7LxLBUfI

https://abnb.me/EVmg/5GaJ6RBVfI

If there are neighborhoods you would suggest or avoid, please chime in. Looking mainly for safer spots...never really been to NYC/surrounding areas.

Neither of those locations are really going to be good transit wise. I would say go on google maps and overlay the public transit and see where multiple train lines stop and then use Airbnb. If you stay in Park Slope I would recommend being near the F/G/R on 4th/9th or near Barclay's Center where you pretty much have access to everything. With multiple people it might be cost effective to use Uber/Lyft rather than dealing with crowded trains.

Thanks!

Just came back from NYC with the kid and wife. We stayed on the Upper East Side which was great location to 6 subway line to get downtown and access the park with lots of kid stuff.

Don't rule out Hoboken either

Gah. I live in Hudson County and I wouldn't even recommend Hoboken.
Jersey City FTW! ;)

Thanks!

I don't think any parts of Manhattan are undesirable per se. I think where you stay really just depends on what exactly you're looking to do, but I suppose the most visitor-friendly areas would be parallel/below Central Park. I personally love Washington and Morningside Heights though (your Spanish would be useful).

As far as Brooklyn, agreed with mvl339 about the transit. And essentially, the farther you go into Brooklyn, away from Manhattan, the more annoying public transit can be... especially on a weekend. Example: Bay Ridge is a lovely neighborhood. But if you're only relying on the R to get you there and back, oof. I live in Jersey and get home faster than friends in South BK. The transit isn't a big deal for those of us who are used to it, but if you're visiting and have kids with you, staying closer to multiple train lines is a better option. I don't think anyone mentioned Clinton Hill/Fort Greene; those would be good locations as well.

You could also look into places in Queens... Astoria and Long Island City, namely. The trains that service those areas will take you right into Midtown.

Looks like the train rides from Brooklyn/Queens into Manhattan run about 40 minutes. Leaning towards those neighborhoods as you get way more space from your buck.

I’m not sure I’d anticipate spending much time in your place if you’ve never been to the city before, but every family travels differently.

I’m not sure I’d anticipate spending much time in your place if you’ve never been to the city before, but every family travels differently.

Kids are still young and the wife likes to sleep in so I try to always get something where I'm comfortable sipping coffee in another room waiting for her to get up

Back