US - Great Lakes Official Afterthought Brewing Company Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Treebs, May 25, 2017.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

When Thorpe posts in the Afterthought thread and you furiously refresh your email for a Blended Barrel email.

2. Thorpe

Thorpe

That email is coming soon :)

Most of the beers for the next round are ready but I didn’t want to have a pickup window around the holidays in case that was too difficult for people (and I also ran out of some of the right labels and am waiting on new ones).

3. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

I sent a few gin barrel Afterthought beers to a friend in Seattle that put together a big gin-BA tasting. Lots of heavy hitters at their tasting and Afterthought held its own with both beers in the top half, which is a compliment.

4. Thorpe

Thorpe

It's been a long time since I've posted, so I figured I'd let people know what's going on. We just had our last member release and had some pretty huge (for us) batches so there were leftovers of some of the beers. So you should now be able to find the following around a half dozen or so spots in the suburbs and city:

Tradition: Chardonnay Barrel
    Saison Meer: Buckwheat & Chardonnay Barrel
    Saison Amer: Galaxy (Sauvignon Blanc Barrel)
    Biere de Pieces #7
    Biere de Pieces #8

Biere de Pieces is our blended series. #7 is a blend of Saison Meer: Buckwheat, Faible: Passion Fruit, and an experimental version of Faible aged in an oak barrel with paw paw fruit. #8 is a blend of Saison Meer: Pineapple Sage (grown in our yard!) and barrel-aged Faible.

In the next couple of weeks (and sooner on draft) we'll have the following:

Saison Meer: Honey
    Winter: Pomegranate Juice (dark saison with lavender and cardamon and conditioned with pomegranate juice)
    Barrel #7 (amber saison fermented in oak and conditioned with cherry juice)

Cheers!

cornboy, mjohnson17, JRBecks and 16 others like this.
  5. JRBecks

JRBecks

Need to find that Saison Ameer: Galaxy & Tradition: Chardonnay

6. Thorpe

Thorpe

Should both be at quite a few places around the city and suburbs and we still have some of each in stock at the brewery right now so should be around for a while!

7. Iliketurtles

Iliketurtles

Afterthought rated above hf on untappd

[​IMG]

Both breweries are great.

8. jmk

jmk

Look, Afterthought makes good beer, but you are comparing a brewery with >800,000 ratings with one with <4000 ratings, ya, I don't think so.

9. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

TYL Untappd is easy to manipate. I like Thorpe and think he is doing greate things, but also Untappd has no threshold for rankings. Just commercial and homebrew.

10. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

Just drank though the January released beers, just in time for the 3 new Feb beers to be picked up. Here's my high level thoughts

Saison Meer: Buckwheat & Chardonnay Barrel - Absolutely banger. Arguably my favorite Afterthought beer to date. Loved the buckwheat and the Char barrel is a beaut!. I'd take a keg of this beer. It was creamy and bright.
    Saison Amer: Galaxy (Sauvignon Blanc Barrel) - Great beer. Green apple and lime zest notes.
    Biere de Pieces #7 - Really nice. I wanted to love it more than I did because of the buckwheat component, but the pawpaw part of the blend was a bit too acidic and sharp. It took over too much of the beer.
    Biere de Pieces #8 - Blend of Saison Meer: Pineapple Sage and oak barrel-aged Faible. Faible comes through on this one. Really liked this but can't remember specifics out side of "2 thumbs up".
    Barrel #2 - wonderful. A nice acid balance

Also just drank Saison Avec: Spruce Tips - great beer. Light pine notes, great carb, slightly tart like a HF saison. Another banger. It might just be me, but I could even go for heavier spruce next time ;)

11. americanzero4128

americanzero4128

I also had this in the past couple of days. This beer was awesome. Not sure if the spruce has faded a bit since it was bottled in October (I didn't see it at the Beer Cellar until my most recent trip in last Saturday) but I thought the spruce was subtle. It helped cut the tartness though. Really great beer; I won't complain if you bring it back.

I also love that you're distributing to Orange and Brew. Nice to be able to pick up Afterthought a mile from my house. If possible, it would be awesome if you can do the membership pick up beers there as well. If not, no worries, just a suggestion from this Downers Grove resident.

12. Thorpe

Thorpe

Thanks! Spruce is definitely subtle. It was far too much in our first test batch and in the second one (the one that was released) I think we might have pulled back too much.

We’re glad to be at Orange & Brew now, especially since I’m a fellow alum. Membership will all stay at Beer Cellar as splitting pickup locations would be a logistical nightmare :)

13. thewimperoo

thewimperoo

Those two new hoppy Saison Amer are most excellent.

14. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

In the future give me a buzz regarding your membership beers as I can certainly grab them with my own and stash them in the back of Orange & Brew. Not sure exactly what I need to pick them up (just name, or the actual email?), but certainly not a problem grabbing a few more bottles.

Being introduced to the food / cocktails at A Toda Madre has made the drive much more enjoyable recently ;)

15. Thorpe

Thorpe

Just name and order number and an email to Beer Cellar in advance confirming the trustee!

16. RyanG

RyanG

Got new member email, planning to sign up.

ISO of a trustee/proxy/midwest lover

mjohnson17, TheBus, jdhende and 5 others like this.
  17. capnmike

capnmike Premium Supporter Contributor

Congrats/welcome!

Shoot me a PM if someone hasn't taken care of you already. It’s about an hour each way for me, so if anyone lives closer, have at it.

18. jdhende

jdhende

Same offer i'm sure myself or jermy could help as well if needed.

19. jermy

jermy

This beer is crazy good. Much regret for not snagging a few more after club sale ended

ChaQuiseman, Thorpe, TheBus and 4 others like this.
  20. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

Thorpe , did I just hear that you’ve got essentially a permanent tap at The Green Lady? That’s cool! Pretty awesome to see your stuff popping up on tap at a few places around Chicagoland.