US - Northwest Official Holy Mountain Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by waltersrj, Jan 29, 2016.

1. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

If this turns into a Tired Hands/Tree House situation, it'd be cool if they kept can releases and bottle releases to separate days. I honestly can't imagine this being the case though.

waltersrj likes this.
  2. swivelhips

swivelhips

Yeah, imo Monkish has done a good job of keeping can releases as their own thing. You can still go there on non-can days and its laid back and enjoyable.

rrrjjj and jupiter6xx like this.
  3. swivelhips

swivelhips

holy shit, astral projection is good.

rrrjjj, waltersrj and NAD1983 like this.
  4. swivelhips

swivelhips

Will HM fill my 64 oz Standard Brewing growler or 32 oz Cloudburst growler?

5. NAD1983

NAD1983

Any and all growler, sizes, and varieties are fine on "off days." I routinely fill my 750 mL flip top growlers and they take $1 or $2 off depending on the beer. Just don't be a dick and order a ton of non prefill growlers when they're slammed on a Friday after work ;)

*The only caveat is that release days are prefill only
    **Cloudburst is the only brewery in the city that I know of that will only fill their glassware

Gonzoillini likes this.
  6. harrymel

harrymel

mateoloco and NAD1983 like this.
  7. NAD1983

NAD1983

I slightly misspoke, Cloudburst will fill HM growlers as well.

Not worth getting into this argument, but I'll add my half cent anyways...

I completely understand the frustration on both ends. Most customers would prefer to fill anything and everything on demand (especially someone like me with 500 growlers lying around), while the producer cares about the QA/QC of their product and keeping the taproom running smoothly. Filling a bunch of random, dirty growlers on a Friday night isn't efficient and increases the potential for your product's quality to be compromised.

My only issue with all of this is that HM and Cloudburst only have twist-top growlers, which are shite compared to flip-tops. If they had flip-tops I would say fuck it and buy a few but without those I'll just stick with my HM fills.

8. harrymel

harrymel

I just don't buy the "my brand of growler doesn't get dirty" logic. Either only sell brand new or prefills or get over yourself

mateoloco and waltersrj like this.
  9. NAD1983

NAD1983

Unless I'm missing something, it has nothing to do with "my brand doesn't get dirty" and everything to do with accounting for all of the dipshits that don't clean their growlers.

Sure I've heard the argument that it's their fault. fuck 'em if they want to let a half filled growler roll around in their trunk for a month and fill it that's their fault. But as the brewery you've just put out a product that isn't representative of its true quality. That leaves you open to bad reviews, non-repeat customers, etc.

When a brewery prefills, they also clean, CO2 purge, etc. Steps that aren't possible when you have 2 people behind the bar and 50+ people in the taproom.

At the end of the day breweries aren't making any money off of growlers so the decision is either quality or time related, which I have no problem with. Now that's WA state, if we're talking about CA that's a completely different story....

10. harrymel

harrymel

My point is that even their branded growlers can get shitty dirty. I just don't buy the logic that you're more likely to bring in a clean growler for a fill if it's branded.

I agree the brewer has a vested interest in minimizing risk of filling a growler full of mold or that would otherwise compromise their product.

I would be more receptive to something like not allowing stainless steel growlers since you can't easily see grossly unclean interiors compared to glass.

Either way, to each their own, I just don't get the logic.

11. NAD1983

NAD1983

Ahhh, I see now. In the case of Holy Mountain and Cloudburst, if you bring in their glassware they swap out a pre-filled, counter-pressure filled growler.

Any brewery that doesn't do pre-fills only and won't let you bring in other branded growlers can fuck right off.

12. harrymel

harrymel

Well, that's actually a good system I think. Way better than standard fills.

13. brokensail

brokensail

Just saw that Holy Mountain is having their second anniversary in a couple weeks. For shits and giggles, I looked at flights and accommodations that weekend and getting there would be dirt cheap.

I haven't been to Holy Mountain as the last time I was in Seattle, they weren't open yet. So... do you (as locals) think it would be worthwhile and will it be a total cluster?

There are endless other places I can think to visit that weekend as well, so would be sort of the excuse to fly up, but not the sole reason for the trip.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    waltersrj likes this.
  14. harrymel

harrymel

Yes to both parts

15. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

if you are willing to travel with a brewery event as an excuse, i don't think the holy mountain anniversary party would be enough of a cluster to deter you.

16. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter

Do it.

There are tons to do in Seattle. Just don't make HM the full reason for the trip and you'll be fine.

I think events spread over multiple days always suss out the crowds a bit.

mateoloco likes this.
  17. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

The anniversary party was pretty busy last year, particularly around the time Midnight Still was first tapped (my wife wanted out of there as soon as possible. Too cramped and too many smelly people for her) but probably nothing compared to shitshows from other parts of the country.

18. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

if certain tap times are announced ahead of time (midnight still, probably guava...) i can see it getting busy. but not enough to deter anyone who doesn't mind "smelly people." lol.

FoudreGuy likes this.
  19. brokensail

brokensail

Thanks for the feedback, all.

I spend enough time in Oakland, Berkeley, and San Francisco, so smelly, crunchy people don't bother me.

I think I'll probably buy plane tickets. Will see if the fiancée wants to/can join.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  20. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

I'm good with the unwashed masses. My wife, not so much.

Hopefully they don't add a bottle release to the weekend to help cut down on potential insanity.