US - Southwest Official Phoenix Thread!

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by henrythehippo, Jun 22, 2015.

1. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

It's time. Phoenix has beer. With Wren House and Goldwater just opening and Helton coming around next year, we're finally making some progress!

What's the word on the street?

2. kmello69

kmello69

3. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

4. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

So....I'll be in Phoenix next Thurs/Friday and was planning on hitting Arizona Wilderness and Four Peaks since I'm a fan of Hop Knot. Are these new spots you speak of open/worth a visit?

henrythehippo likes this.
  5. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

Most definitely. The Wren House IPA is great

wuntrikpony likes this.
  6. MKtheGeneral

MKtheGeneral

I'm visiting Phoenix for work but alas only there for less than a day and a half, arriving 2pm this Wednesday and leaving 8pm Thursday. Planning on hitting AZ Wilderness and (if I can make the time) Wren House. Any must try restaurants or must-visit liquor stores?

Sideswipe, Gene and henrythehippo like this.
  7. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

Kings if youre going to Wren and Tops + GCM if you're going out to Wilderness. What kind of food are you in to?

Sideswipe likes this.
  8. MKtheGeneral

MKtheGeneral

Honestly just about anything. Is there anything that is "must try" for PHX? I've never been to the South West so I'm not sure if there's anything truly regional I should seek out.

Sideswipe likes this.
  9. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

We're known for our Mexican food but our "famous" place is Pizzeria Bianco or Barrio Cafe. Since you probably get alot of pizza in NYC, I'd recommend a couple local/true regional standouts: Dick's Hideaway (funny name, amazing food), Los Dos Molinos (super spicy) or Otro Cafe. If I could go to one every day it would be Dick's.

Sideswipe likes this.
  10. MKtheGeneral

MKtheGeneral

OK I think I'm going to try to go from my meeting > Dicks > Wren > airport.

Sideswipe and henrythehippo like this.
  11. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

My favorite thing at Dicks are the house smoked turkey enchiladas and the house salad is pretty rocking for something so simple...but you can't go wrong there.

12. MKtheGeneral

MKtheGeneral

Any "must try" beers at AZ Wilderness or Wren?

Sideswipe likes this.
  13. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

I think for Wilderness their new "Dirty Hopwater" beers are pretty popular but they have a huge taplist right now...would recommend the IPAs. Wren just tapped their 2017 batch of Who Hit John which is the main beer they'll barrel age and do variants of...they only have a few kegs since most went into barrels and it's awesome. Their coffee stout, Jomax, is also really nice and you can get a "red eye" at the brewery and add a splash of cold brew to it

Sideswipe, greenhorn and MKtheGeneral like this.
  14. greenhorn

greenhorn

MKtheGeneral - Highly recommend Wren. Wilderness is worth the visit but the Wren guys are definitely killing it. Kings Convenience, as henrythehippo mentioned, is the best bottle shop in the area IMO. Mickey (the owner) has a great bottle selection, not to mention a killer growler station. For example, he currently has BA Ten Fidy and both Big Bad Baptist variants on for fills.

One local packaged beer worth seeking out is White Russian from Sun Up Brewing...you should be able to find cans at Kings.

A bar I recommend is the Wandering Tortoise - just opened a few blocks from Wren and while small, they have a pretty sweet tap list and a to-go cooler for bottles.

Just a few recs.

capnmike, Sideswipe, Gene and 2 others like this.
  15. MKtheGeneral

MKtheGeneral

Thank you good sir!

Does Wren have any bottles to go right now?

Any thoughts on what AZ Wilderness has to go bottle or can wise?

16. greenhorn

greenhorn

Wren only bottles for special releases but they crowler pretty much anything they have on tap.

Looks like they have the following available ATM (per their website):

PACKAGED TO GO
    In 32oz Cans
    • Superstition Coffee Stout
    • The Roosevelts DIPA
    • White Canyon Blonde Stout
    In 750ml Bottles
    • Biere De Wassail
    • Picacho Pecan Pie Brown
    • Region Sauvage D'Arizona
    • Tart Sunshine
    The "32oz can" is basically a crowler that they can in advance (just a day or two before in most cases.)

17. greenhorn

greenhorn

Also forgot to mention that if you're a mead guy, Superstition is in abundance around here.

18. MKtheGeneral

MKtheGeneral

Even in stores?

19. greenhorn

greenhorn

Pretty much exclusively in stores. The meadery itself is about 2 hours north of Phoenix so we only see their bottled offerings.

Your best bets for the widest variety would probably be GCM, Liquor Express in Tempe, or one of the Whole Foods in the area. You might even find some Berry White variants on the shelf...

[​IMG]

20. baybassboy

baybassboy

Welp... Just made a move out here from SoCal. Any reccomendations on bottle shops in the Scottsdale area? Cuz this total wine and be more probably aren't gonna cut it. Good thing my old SoCal spot ships.