Official Phoenix Thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrythehippo

Reaction score
It's time. Phoenix has beer. With Wren House and Goldwater just opening and Helton coming around next year, we're finally making some progress!

What's the word on the street?

K8mMycu.gif

So....I'll be in Phoenix next Thurs/Friday and was planning on hitting Arizona Wilderness and Four Peaks since I'm a fan of Hop Knot. Are these new spots you speak of open/worth a visit?

I'm visiting Phoenix for work but alas only there for less than a day and a half, arriving 2pm this Wednesday and leaving 8pm Thursday. Planning on hitting AZ Wilderness and (if I can make the time) Wren House. Any must try restaurants or must-visit liquor stores?

Kings if youre going to Wren and Tops + GCM if you're going out to Wilderness. What kind of food are you in to?

We're known for our Mexican food but our "famous" place is Pizzeria Bianco or Barrio Cafe. Since you probably get alot of pizza in NYC, I'd recommend a couple local/true regional standouts: Dick's Hideaway (funny name, amazing food), Los Dos Molinos (super spicy) or Otro Cafe. If I could go to one every day it would be Dick's.

We're known for our Mexican food but our "famous" place is Pizzeria Bianco or Barrio Cafe. Since you probably get alot of pizza in NYC, I'd recommend a couple local/true regional standouts: Dick's Hideaway (funny name, amazing food), Los Dos Molinos (super spicy) or Otro Cafe. If I could go to one every day it would be Dick's.
OK I think I'm going to try to go from my meeting > Dicks > Wren > airport.

I think for Wilderness their new "Dirty Hopwater" beers are pretty popular but they have a huge taplist right now...would recommend the IPAs. Wren just tapped their 2017 batch of Who Hit John which is the main beer they'll barrel age and do variants of...they only have a few kegs since most went into barrels and it's awesome. Their coffee stout, Jomax, is also really nice and you can get a "red eye" at the brewery and add a splash of cold brew to it

MKtheGeneral - Highly recommend Wren. Wilderness is worth the visit but the Wren guys are definitely killing it. Kings Convenience, as henrythehippo mentioned, is the best bottle shop in the area IMO. Mickey (the owner) has a great bottle selection, not to mention a killer growler station. For example, he currently has BA Ten Fidy and both Big Bad Baptist variants on for fills.

One local packaged beer worth seeking out is White Russian from Sun Up Brewing...you should be able to find cans at Kings.

A bar I recommend is the Wandering Tortoise - just opened a few blocks from Wren and while small, they have a pretty sweet tap list and a to-go cooler for bottles.

Just a few recs.

MKtheGeneral - Highly recommend Wren. Wilderness is worth the visit but the Wren guys are definitely killing it. Kings Convenience, as henrythehippo mentioned, is the best bottle shop in the area IMO. Mickey (the owner) has a great bottle selection, not to mention a killer growler station. For example, he currently has BA Ten Fidy and both Big Bad Baptist variants on for fills.

One local packaged beer worth seeking out is White Russian from Sun Up Brewing...you should be able to find cans at Kings.

A bar I recommend is the Wandering Tortoise - just opened a few blocks from Wren and while small, they have a pretty sweet tap list and a to-go cooler for bottles.

Just a few recs.
Thank you good sir!

Does Wren have any bottles to go right now?

Any thoughts on what AZ Wilderness has to go bottle or can wise?

Does Wren have any bottles to go right now?

Wren only bottles for special releases but they crowler pretty much anything they have on tap.

Any thoughts on what AZ Wilderness has to go bottle or can wise?

Looks like they have the following available ATM (per their website):

PACKAGED TO GO
In 32oz Cans
  • Superstition Coffee Stout
  • The Roosevelts DIPA
  • White Canyon Blonde Stout
In 750ml Bottles
  • Biere De Wassail
  • Picacho Pecan Pie Brown
  • Region Sauvage D'Arizona
  • Tart Sunshine
The "32oz can" is basically a crowler that they can in advance (just a day or two before in most cases.)

Even in stores?

Pretty much exclusively in stores. The meadery itself is about 2 hours north of Phoenix so we only see their bottled offerings.

Your best bets for the widest variety would probably be GCM, Liquor Express in Tempe, or one of the Whole Foods in the area. You might even find some Berry White variants on the shelf...

giphy.gif

Welp... Just made a move out here from SoCal. Any reccomendations on bottle shops in the Scottsdale area? Cuz this total wine and be more probably aren't gonna cut it. Good thing my old SoCal spot ships.

Welp... Just made a move out here from SoCal. Any reccomendations on bottle shops in the Scottsdale area? Cuz this total wine and be more probably aren't gonna cut it. Good thing my old SoCal spot ships.
If you're in north Scottsdale, check out Whole Foods over at Scottsdale and Mayo or AJ's at something like Pima and Thompson Peak (I think....somewhere pretty far north). If you're further south, check out Papago Brewing at Scottsdale and McDowell. They've been in AZ forever, make decent house beer, and have an awesome selection of guest taps and bottles to-go.

Anyone know where someone might be able to find some of the Berry Whites that were released last month? Thanks.

All but Strawberry are on the shelf at my lbs. $84.99 a bottle.
Apologies, but what's lbs?

I'll be flying in to Phoenix in a week-and-a-half and heading up to the Sedona/Flagstaff area for a few nights. Hoping to find some mead in addition to a few good beers—looks like Flagstaff is my best bet aside from a quick stop at Wren House after getting our rental car.

Other random questions:
  • Kids at breweries ok? (I'll have my 6yo daughter)
  • $84.99?!
Also up for an IP trade with WA/OR stuff; if you're interested, PM me.

In Scottsdale for a wedding and was looking for a good place to grab lunch today, so I stopped into this thread. Thanks henrythehippo - Dick's Hideaway was unbelievably good (had the huevos rancheros with red sauce, fiancee had the enchiladas, and we split the french toast). Some decent taps there as well.

Doesn't seem to be too much action on this thread, but I'm headed into town tomorrow for the Final Four. Will probably have some time to crack some beers (most likely on Sunday) if anyone is interested in meeting up. Also interested in restaurant and brewery/bar/bottle shop recs.

Doesn't seem to be too much action on this thread, but I'm headed into town tomorrow for the Final Four. Will probably have some time to crack some beers (most likely on Sunday) if anyone is interested in meeting up. Also interested in restaurant and brewery/bar/bottle shop recs.

Wandering Tortoise just opened up the street from Wren and they're doing a Pizza Port takeover tomorrow which sounds delicious (they also have a bunch of wilderness bottles to go). Depends what kind of food you're looking for but Hillstone, Buck & Rider, Doughbird, Otro Cafe, Chelseas Kitchen are all solid. Kings Convenience (downtown) just got a crowler machine and they typically have all sorts of limited things on draft like Speedway variants.

Wren of course has a new tap list. Olmec/WHJ/Dankworth are standouts :)

About to hit the road to Phoenix. Bringing a couple nice bottles with me if anyone is interested in meeting up. Unlike most beer people, I am only mildly annoying in person.

greenhorn Also, their limits are confusing. Tailored more towards hoarders to maybe drive the trading market? Potentially only 83 people with something that many, many more are ISO?

Yes? Tombstone is really good but you have to find them on draft somewhere...Kings usually has some but it's a growler/crowler fill station. What part of town are you going to be in?

Yes? Tombstone is really good but you have to find them on draft somewhere...Kings usually has some but it's a growler/crowler fill station. What part of town are you going to be in?
Layover 12-8pm on a Monday (6/5). Wren House and great food places are on the agenda +/- other good breweries, beer/cocktail bars, cool Phoenix things to check out in a short time.

Back