US - Southwest Official Phoenix Thread!

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by henrythehippo, Jun 22, 2015.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

you'll prob be fine anywhere. people upset they missed out on getting a spot in the wren house society is all. can't comment on soccer bars. depends on where you are staying. wren house/helton/wandering tortoise is a recommended combo. the attic has excellent burgers and usually good beer selection. but again all depends on where you are staying, phoenix metro is huge

2. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

Yeah...Saturday was not one of my favorite days lol. That said I guess it’s a good sign people are that excited about a barrel club. Fyi only 5% of members this year are out of state. teddyarrowhead hit me up if you’re planning on stopping by wren and I’ll try to give you a tour

3. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead

What's the story with opening from stuff from out of state at beer bars in Phoenix? I'm bringing down a wine check of goodies, partially as a graduation gift to my cousin, but there are also a good amount of things I want to share with him, the fam, and whoever else is around. I'd obviously follow the usual MO of ordering a couple things on-site first and then asking about policy, but I'm curious if that kind of thing is legal/tolerated/encouraged in the first place.

EDIT: I land at noon tomorrow, am meeting up with the fam, and then might hit AZ Wilderness before heading to a place with TVs for the MLS Cup Final (still TBD on that location) at 6.

4. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

Technically illegal at bars unless you go to a byob restaurant which are few and far between. That said it’s usually cool at brewery bars. Can’t speak for AZW but I’m guessing they’d say no

5. greenhorn

greenhorn

Yeah, seriously. I’ll hold my tongue here but talk about entitlement. Where was the support the last two years when memberships could have been had fairly easily?

[​IMG]

henrythehippo and NeedsMoreDog like this.
  6. pugsandsuds

pugsandsuds

Fantastic event for Wren house society today. As much as I enjoyed pours of carefree and raisin eaters. I left with a mixed case of big spill and valley beer, ready to get a little inebriated and make chili verde tonight

7. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

Good to hear, wish I could've gone, but...reasons

8. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy

Seems like there’s a lot more breweries in town than the last time I visited 18 months ago. Have all day tomorrow before a flight at 9. Is Oro, Sleepy Dog, Huss, Helluva, Shop, McFate, Goldwater, Helton, Phoenix Ale, Mother Bunch, State 48, or OHSO worth a visit? Also looking for bottleshop recs, that maybe carry some of the Tuscon Area hopsmiths? Plan on doing Little Miss BBQ, but open to other food recs if there’s less hyped options any of you may recommend. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    NeedsMoreDog and BigFrank like this.
  9. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

Wandering Tortoise and Wren are right near the airport :). WT usually has some Tucson goodies on

BigFrank and CharlieMurphy like this.
  10. BigFrank

BigFrank

Anybody hit wren house today? Looking to trade or pay for a label for a few of their offerings today.

NeedsMoreDog likes this.
  11. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

d'oh! about three hours ago. but they're only crowlering resilience and big spill were the only cans to-go

BigFrank likes this.
  12. BigFrank

BigFrank

I had some hopes of devil's claw or Thanksgiving cactus....should have said something sooner. Oh well.

henrythehippo and NeedsMoreDog like this.
  13. pugsandsuds

pugsandsuds

You’re in general LA area, right? Any plans for being in San Diego/Orange County in the near future? I was fortunate enough to get some Devil’s Claw cans the last time I was back in Phoenix, happy to help you out.

jmgrub, jan63, henrythehippo and 2 others like this.
  14. BigFrank

BigFrank

I'll be in Carlsbad on the 23rd. Maybe we can work something out?

15. pugsandsuds

pugsandsuds

Definitely, I’m in Carlsbad 5 days a week, we’ll make it happen

16. vav

vav because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer Contributor

In town for a family reunion, wife’s father’s side, like 30 people I’ve never met. We all went to Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa yesterday, really wish I’d bought acid instead of a pitcher of Kilt Lifter.

NeedsMoreDog and henrythehippo like this.
  17. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

anyone going to mcfate Saturday?

18. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

jmgrub and greenhorn like this.
  19. henrythehippo

henrythehippo

Seeing this way late! Not for a while...SPELLBINDER is our new “core” IPA but we’ll make sure to keep knocking out some West Coasters!

NeedsMoreDog and jmgrub like this.
  20. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

Just had Arizona star. That's a great beer

henrythehippo and pugsandsuds like this.