Official Short's Brewing Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjshearer1

Reaction score
This is the thread to talk about Short's and how awesome Short's is. For example, this hit West Michigan today:

1394413_536941196389039_795476719_n.jpg

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/****ing-awesome-gif.gif

We're already so ridiculously spoiled with our distro here, but if I could pick one to add, it'd probably be Short's. Just got a Peaches and Cream as a great extra - cant wait to try it.

This topic needs more love. Evil Urges was the best BSDA I can remember having in a while. Shorts rocked the Fall Beer Fest... Devil's Lettuce, Bourbon Woodmaster, & Crut's Cuties were all awesome.

I was impressed with Mystery Stout. Hearty and rich, with molasses. Yum. Not so impressed with Gingersnap. Just didn't love the flavor profile.

I was impressed with Mystery Stout. Hearty and rich, with molasses. Yum. Not so impressed with Gingersnap. Just didn't love the flavor profile.

100% agreed. There was something weird in the smell and taste of the Gingersnap. Had to have been the ginger, because that's not something I've really had a lot of and I couldn't tell what the flavor was supposed to be. I chalk it up to a preference more than a bad beer by Short's. I ended up drinking the whole thing though regardless, it got better as it warmed and more of the other flavors shone through.

Mystery Stout though, I will have to get.

And I know it's 3 months away yet, but I'm already anticipating their taplist for the Winter Beer Fest.

This topic needs more love. Evil Urges was the best BSDA I can remember having in a while. Shorts rocked the Fall Beer Fest... Devil's Lettuce, Bourbon Woodmaster, & Crut's Cuties were all awesome.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Evil Urges. Seemed more bitter than I like my Belgians.

100% agreed. There was something weird in the smell and taste of the Gingersnap. Had to have been the ginger, because that's not something I've really had a lot of and I couldn't tell what the flavor was supposed to be. I chalk it up to a preference more than a bad beer by Short's. I ended up drinking the whole thing though regardless, it got better as it warmed and more of the other flavors shone through.

Mystery Stout though, I will have to get.

And I know it's 3 months away yet, but I'm already anticipating their taplist for the Winter Beer Fest.

Oh no no no, Mystery Stout is in the latest sampler pack. You can get it now.

Short’s Announces Completion of New Bottling Line and New Flagship Beer
Jun 3rd 2014
| Short's News
Bellaire, Mich. – Short’s Brewing Company, Northern Michigan’s largest craft brewery, announces the completion of its new bottling and packaging line installation at their Elk Rapids Production Brewery. The new bottling and packing equipment were purchased to keep up with the company’s production beer sales, which are increasing by an average of 40% per year.

The new bottle filling line was specially designed by Krones, Inc. in conjunction with Short’s staff. The equipment is capable of filling 150 bottles/minute (a 300% improvement over Short’s prior filler). Although the line contains more automation, it will not reduce the number of jobs in the brewery. $1.55 million was invested in this installation.

“The new line will allow us to keep up with Michigan-driven demand” Tyler Glaze, Quality Manager. “At the same time, it will allow us to get even more creative in our brewing, enhance the quality of the product we’re distributing, and add new packaging options to our product line.” Specifically, with this new top of the line equipment, we are observing enhanced quality of our bottled products.

With the flexibility and creativity that the new machine offers, Short’s will be able to offer a greater variety of products. Immediately, Short’s will begin offering a new flagship beer to their year-round lineup, Prolonged Enjoyment. This session IPA has a huge earthy hop fragrance of pine, and citrus fruit and the sweet, malty flavors are met by zesty American hop characteristics. Prolonged Enjoyment (3.5% ABV, 45 IBU) has a light body but is packed with extraordinary flavor. This Session India Pale Ale will be available in twelve packs beginning in the second week of June, 2014.

“We’re excited to take another step in the evolution of our company while creating even more reasons to stay in the Elk Rapids community where many Short’s employees call home” said Joe Short. “The freedom that comes with this expansion opens up even more possibilities to embrace weird, different, and new brewing ideas, for an unlimited creative freedom that takes it to the limit.”

I chatted with one of Short's Beer Liberators (their title) at my local bottle shop last week, and they have some big plans now that they can bottle much more efficiently. He said that Dan's Pink Skirt and Juicy Tree will make a return in sampler 12pks this year. Beard of Zeus will be a larger batch than last year, and he said it should be out for approx 2 months. He didn't get into much detail, but we will see more new beers bottled in 2015.

He didn't get into much detail, but we will see more new beers bottled in 2015.
A new line will do that. ;)
For some perspective, I work at a place that bottles at close to 300/min (on each line, which we have 2 of), 5x8 hrs/week, and put out about 1.5-2M cases per year (per line).
We also have full bottle mold changes (something Short's won't have to worry about, just label and product changes) that cost us 3-4 hrs per, vs 1 for product and label. So they will have a lot more uptime than us.

Rough math:
30,000 12-packs/week at full capacity, 5x8 hrs/week (on just that line) or 750 cs/hr.
At a conservative 65% its 19,500. At 85% (considered world class) thats 25,500.
So, conservatively they can be making approx 975k additional cases per year on one shift. Take out a week or two for maintenance, extra holidays, etc --- 936k.
Regardless.... a crap tonne of extra Shorts.

12packs of Cerveza de Julie and Prolonged Enjoyment are starting to hit stores in Grand Rapids, as well as 6packs of Nicie Spicie. Cinnabilly should be out next week.

12packs of Cerveza de Julie and Prolonged Enjoyment are starting to hit stores in Grand Rapids, as well as 6packs of Nicie Spicie. Cinnabilly should be out next week.
Hells to the yes. Got mine yesterday.

the only person i miss from BA is hopheadherman to tell me when everything should appear on shelves near me. anyone know him?

Courtesy of HHH on the other site....

The time has come-

Spruce gets bottled this week and will be hitting stores by the middle of next.

It's the beer of Michigan....

India Spruce Pilsner is an Imperial Pilsner, fermented with local, hand-picked blue spruce tips. The spruce presence, rooted in historical brewing practices, is enormous and gives the beer a refreshing gin quality. This beer is impressively light bodied, considering the immense spruce flavors and the prodigious additions of hops.

7% ABV
85 IBU

Spruce-Pilsner.jpg

Courtesy of HHH on the other site....

The time has come-

Spruce gets bottled this week and will be hitting stores by the middle of next.

It's the beer of Michigan....

India Spruce Pilsner is an Imperial Pilsner, fermented with local, hand-picked blue spruce tips. The spruce presence, rooted in historical brewing practices, is enormous and gives the beer a refreshing gin quality. This beer is impressively light bodied, considering the immense spruce flavors and the prodigious additions of hops.

7% ABV
85 IBU

Spruce-Pilsner.jpg

MRW%20I%20was%20younger%20walking%20into%20a%20shop%20after%20finding%20some%20money%20on%20the%20ground

The spruce Pilsner is one of only a couple Short's brews I do not enjoy. Tastes like I'm sucking on one of those Pine tree air fresheners.

The spruce Pilsner is one of only a couple Short's brews I do not enjoy. Tastes like I'm sucking on one of those Pine tree air fresheners.
And here I thought I was the only one. That beer just isn't for me.

Hitting distro this week...

Strawberry Short’s Cake is a golden ale. The addition of strawberries and milk sugar transform this beer into a rose colored nectar that has hints of cream and is pleasingly sweet. Biscuit flavors and aromas arise from the great amounts of Victory malt used in the brewing process.
5% ABV
25 IBU

Strawberry-Shorts-Cake1.jpg

Strawberry Short’s Cake is a golden ale. The addition of strawberries and milk sugar transform this beer into a rose colored nectar that has hints of cream and is pleasingly sweet. Biscuit flavors and aromas arise from the great amounts of Victory malt used in the brewing process.
5% ABV
25 IBU

LIKE to the max!

5% ABV
25 IBU

Now this ****, is the Gospel!!!

Key Lime Pie was dialed the **** in this year, lets hope that Short's Cake is the same.

I think it is. Strawberry is very prominent, and not in the fake sickening artificial way. Graham cracker is strong too. And you know how I know, I've had chunks of graham cracker in some bottles. **** is legit.

I think it is. Strawberry is very prominent, and not in the fake sickening artificial way. Graham cracker is strong too. And you know how I know, I've had chunks of graham cracker in some bottles. **** is legit.

agreed, can't get enough of this beer. college me would have turned my nose up at this as a "fruity" beer, thank god i've become rational in my ways.

Always wondered where the Shorts love was on TalkBeer...who knew you had to look beyond the DDTs? ;)
PS Shorts=the best

Who's going to see Dean Ween and The Brown Outs on the 20th of December? I'll be there.

Also any word on the Short's Holiday Party tap takeover at 7 Monks at the end of the month? Someone told me it was the 28th, which is a Sunday...can't find any confirmation of that.

Not gonna make Deaner or 7 monks but I am looking forward to Hopcat opening on Saturday. Was a little bummed with the lineup but I should be able to find flavor or two (or 18) that I will find drinkable :)

Back