Other Booze Official Tequila Thread

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by drbenzo, Feb 19, 2016.

1. drbenzo

drbenzo

My wife and I tried our first single estate tequila Monday night while out for a night on the town, and we loved it! I thought I would share... http://ochotequila.com/us/

I also picked up a bottle of 2014 Anejo for under $60 at bevmo. I plan to open it tonight. Has anyone had experience with this? Or want to share other tequila info? nanobrew :)
    [​IMG]

I plan to try it side by with Don Julio 1942

2. TommyShitt

TommyShitt

3. Hugebulge

Hugebulge

Nice, we need a tequila thread.:)

4. Hugebulge

Hugebulge

[​IMG]
    A little Roca patron anejo margerita for margerita day.

5. drbenzo

drbenzo

Was like candy with a touch of smoke
    [​IMG]

PurityControl88 and FTowne like this.
  6. thebandit1

thebandit1

7. kiki3drt292

kiki3drt292

I really love this tequila, easily one of my favorites. It's so much more agave forward and less vanilla/barrel character. If you liked this one try out Partida those are agave forward as well!

ehammond1 likes this.
  8. tikk

tikk

[​IMG]
    Not a top shelf tequila but a phenomenal Blanco.

9. Frank

Frank

That's my house tequila for cocktails. Not a crazy sipper or anything, but a damn good value and as clean tasting as cheap tequila gets.

10. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

I keep meaning to try tequila but have no idea where to even begin. What's a solid bottle to begin with?

11. drbenzo

drbenzo

tikk and PurityControl88 like this.
  12. jtmartino

jtmartino

I like darker, older tequilas. Usually don't buy anything not anejo. IMO, for easily accessible bottles:

Best cheaper bottle is Gran Centenario Anejo.
    Best anejo is Don Julio 1942.
    Best older anejo is Cuervo Reserva de la Familia.

To me, 1942 and Reserva are the best tequilas around (readily available.) I heard Grand Mayan Extra is great, and cheap for what it is ($70-80), but I haven't tried it.

If you don't like richer flavors and barrel character, stay away from anejo.

13. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

Thanks for the suggestion, @jmartino! Will keep an eye out for the Centenario Anejo.

jtmartino and drbenzo like this.
  14. kevanb

kevanb

[​IMG]
    Los Azulejos is definitely the way to go for a good sipper. And also #datdecanter

JCastle, Hugebulge and jtmartino like this.
  15. iamjeff6

iamjeff6

I have a bottle of their tequila aged in bourbon barrels, my mom gave it to me since it said bourbon on the bottle.

16. tikk

tikk

Is it any good? See it all the time.

iamjeff6 likes this.
  17. iamjeff6

iamjeff6

I'm not a tequila person so I'm not a good judge. Only time I've had it is when my mom gave it to me I made her take a shot with me.

tikk likes this.
  18. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72

My favorite budget Tequilas, meaning I use them to mix, but I can also sip them should I have the urge. The order isn't set, it depends on my mood at the time:
    Camarena Reposado
    Espolon Reposado
    El Jimador Reposado.

They should all run under $20, though the Espolon distributor thought they could jack the price to $26 then put it on "sale" for $20. Don't spend more than $20!
    I'm not a blanco/silver/white/crystal fan, so if you are, you could always try that style of the same brands. I believe the blancos and repos within each brand typically cost the same.

I also have the Espolon Anejo aged in bourbon barrels, it's not bad at all and definitely worth the $33ish it costs. I also took a bottle of blanco and put a charred spiral from a Wild Turkey gift set into it for 5 days. It actually made a respectable reposado-ish tequila but with more oak and vanilla than any of their other offerings.

Now for my favorite sippers:
    I start everyone off with Casa Noble Reposado, typically around $45. If you enjoy that, go to the Anejo, $55-60 depending on where you are. If you enjoy that, pop the $$ for the 5 Year Single Barrel Extra Anejo. The price varies widely from about $85 - 100.

Others that are priced more mid-range:
    Casamigos Reposado, I like the Anejo too, but the repo draws me back more often. Repo can usually be had for under $50.
    Tierras Anejo, as the name implies, does have an earthy flavor to it, unique from most other tequilas. It's been years since I bought my last bottle, so I don't remember the price. If it's $50-ish then it's worth it.

If you're ready to spend:
    Clase Azul Reposado, about $100. Much of that is the fancy bottle, but I do like the tequila, though some noticed a drop off when they switched distilleries a while back. "Worth it" is tricky. I think so, but I also haven't replaced my empty bottle for over 2 years.
    The aforementioned Don Julio 1942, nice display, nice bottle, good vanilla, on sale for about $100, many times as expensive as $130.

Whatever you do, stay away from mixto swill. It needs to say 100% de Agave, Agave Azul, Blue Weber Agave or something along that lines. i.e. Jose Cuevro gold is 51% agave and 49% other stuff. Though 100% doesn't guarantee a good tasting tequila, just like putting a shitty beer into a bourbon barrel doesn't magically make a good beer.

jtmartino likes this.
  19. Max

Max

came in here for the tila tequila + trump collabs, but stayed for the, you know, booze.

20. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

If you like blanco you can find some really good deals. It's not a popular drink so it doesn't suffer quite the premium as reposado or anejo. Espolon is a great value. IMO probably the best below $40.

Don Julio 1492 is great. The standard Don Julio anejo is very good too. Their blanco is nothing to complain about.

I tend to shy away from reposados. The price difference is usually not enough to not upgrade the barrel character to anejo. Many are low quality blancos with caramel coloring.

Is this also the place to discuss mezcal?

BeersMorgan and tikk like this.