US - Great Lakes Official Transient Artisan Ales Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Thorpe, Jan 6, 2015.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Ckozl

Ckozl

Anyone headed to the Buckley release? Debating making the 3 hour trek with the pup.

danidavid likes this.
  2. danidavid

danidavid

I'm about 70% sure I'm gonna show up this weekend. Better to come early and beat the lines or think I'll be able to roll through later in the day and not have to deal with the craziness?

3. zieglemt

zieglemt

Typically the latter, no? Has he sold out of anything in even one day? I guess you might miss out on a draft or 2 but I'm sure he has plenty of different treatments to throw on.

thewimperoo and danidavid like this.
  4. Transient

Transient

Clarity for all those following this or asking questions.

Last year we had 3 lines splitting from the same single line (2 bottle/draft and 1 draft only). This year we will have 5 lines split between the two sides of the building, though there will only be one line feeding the two, and you will split when you get too our front entrances. The taproom side will have the 2 bottle/draft lines and then the draft only line. The barrel side of our building (the east side that people aren't normally allowed in) will have 2 bottle only lines (you will still be able to buy our other to go bottles/cans on that side, not just Buckley, if that is your intention. This should ease up the congestion around the bar. We also plan on having another in house service area that will be serving only cans (maybe bottles too) for on site consumption to spread out people to the rest of the building.

We have adjusted how our larger releases works since last Buckley day, and now do a card based allotment system, where you fill out what you want, pay for it at the bar, then pick up at any time before you leave. Pickup for bottles will be in the back by our brewhouse. That way we dont have everyone filling their boxes in front of the bar.

We have at least 7 different Buckley drafts, possibly more, that we will rotate through as the day goes, along with a couple non imperial stout drafts. As for getting here early, yes if you want to get the full starting allotment, but we have become pretty good at cutting allotments down so our beers last the full day. Wake and cake we adjusted limits 3 or 4 times and ended up with less than a case at the end of the day. We have a few variants that are a bit more limited (Ruckley and Bark Lord being the smallest runs) and we will also be holding back a bit for upcoming offsite events/whatnot.

Line drinking is discouraged, as we are only licensed to have open containers within our building and on our fenced in patio. We have been called from the city/police about people outside our building drinking, and while they have been very understanding and forgiving, the more it happens the less likely they will be ok with us doing events like this, or approve any of our future plans, so I would appreciate your cooperation.

Our releases are not cash only, though it is encouraged as we always have a hand full of people who's card gets denied because they are in another state and it gets flagged as fraud. Just warning y'all.

See everyone Saturday!!!

5. Alum

Alum

Swung by Sunday.

Great time. Pretty much everything was still available.

Was able to even pick up stuff from the last release since we didn't make it up.

Canuckley was :cool:

Gonzoillini likes this.
  6. Maakun

Maakun

I've only been to Transient once while on holiday in the US and I really do wish they weren't so far away from here :(

7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

I think Buckley day was a success! Everyone who came got bottles, a little confusion at first how things were going but it all worked out. All the bottles were great and the one off kegs we nice as well! Sausages made with Buckley were a hit too. Congrats to Chris, Rachel and the crew for another great Sat at Transient.

8. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Stopped at Transient on the way home from Mead Day festivities in Ferndale, MI this afternoon, and aside from the weather today, was as great as always.

[​IMG]

Hadn't seen the artwork on prior trips, so either it's relatively new or my memory is even worse these days.

[​IMG]

Great draftlist today featuring a little bit of everything between Spring Lagger, Cromulent / Something Strange / Mind to Devour for the hop forward stuff, Bark Lord, and a few new saisons and wild beers.

[​IMG]

Mind to Devour which was probably my least favorite offering I had today, but the case of Spring Lagger I brought back more than made up for it.

tosh, Prager62, mjohnson17 and 6 others like this.
  9. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Cherry Anachronism was fantastic on an unbearably hot Sunday afternoon.

10. ClCardinal84

ClCardinal84

Anyone heading over this weekend from Chicago willing to pickitupformebro?

Have some BA No Cakes reserved and Brimley’s.

Have a 2012 and 2013 BCBS as a thank ya if that’s your thing.

11. thewimperoo

thewimperoo

12. Scalzo

Scalzo

Good price. but as someone who doesn't love spiced stouts and only wants the non adjunct versions... its a pass. Was never a fan of the bulk packages we had to buy as members, or in general.
    I figured the cost of membership would have been enough to allow us to pick which beers we wanted to buy. Without being forced to get other beers we dont want.

13. thewimperoo

thewimperoo

If it's anything like years past there wewi be plenty available for purchase as singles for the couple weeks following Black Friday.

JRBecks, Alum, kodt and 3 others like this.
  14. duckyboycantfly

duckyboycantfly

*cough*

[​IMG]

Found this guy hiding in the cellar. A tad Smarties sour, but apricot still shines. I need to visit again soon, I blame Afterthought for making me lazy.

joe, Gonzoillini, Thorpe and 3 others like this.
  15. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

Random question for Michigan Transient fans and maybe even Transient . I know that a deposit is included in the price of to-go beer. Where can I get my 10 cents per container back "from the state." I understand if there isn't a good answer, just checking before I give up and just recycle them.

16. steimie

steimie Premium Athletic Supporter Contributor

Don't you just turn them in with the rest of your 10 cent returnables?

17. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

Most places around me have barcode scanners and only accept products that they sell. I guess this is why I am asking.

JRBecks and GRDave like this.
  18. steimie

steimie Premium Athletic Supporter Contributor

So probably take them back to Transient and get your dimes, or I know people who take them directly to the cashier at the store, show them where it says "MI 10 cents" and they get their dimes that way.

joe likes this.
  19. Hopping Tiger

Hopping Tiger Premium Supporter Contributor

The only way to make it work is to wait for Mother's day and use the spillover truck.

Alum, steimie and capnmike like this.
  20. kodt

kodt

Ok so there's this: https://www.abc57.com/news/police-identify-home-invasion-suspect-shot-by-homeowner