US - Northwest Official Wolves & People Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by jtmartino, Jan 26, 2016.

1. jtmartino

jtmartino

Starting this up now that they're fully licensed to produce and sell beer.

Anyone try their stuff? Anyone in the club? Some changes with Jordan leaving and the addition of Jake Miller from Prairie, but I'm still excited to check their stuff out.

Paging grrrah and any other Cellar members...

[​IMG]

grrrah, GregorySingh, Ryan_G and 3 others like this.
  2. Spoonsock

Spoonsock

I'm in and excited as well. We have waited for a while now.

GregorySingh and jtmartino like this.
  3. falc0n2600

falc0n2600

Waitasec. Are they open yet? If not, any details on when they'll be open? And the (ex-Jester King) head brewer has already left??

4. Shmeal

Shmeal

Portland has found its new JWB.

5. Digita7693

Digita7693

Like/don't like for truth;(

jtmartino likes this.
  6. NAD1983

NAD1983

I'm just really stoked their web store is up so I can buy hats/shirts from a brewery that hasn't released a single beer....

7. Ryan_G

Ryan_G

I would love to buy one of their hats and never bend the bill. I always really dug that look of a flat bill and looking like a 12 year older whose skateboarding career just peaked.

Also, jtmartino I will help you disposed of bottles in FY23.

8. GregorySingh

GregorySingh

You are addicted to beer clubs

9. jtmartino

jtmartino

For the past year they didn't have licensing approval to sell beer. While they were waiting, they decided to get busy with marketing and other aspects of the brewery. I would have done the same, so I wouldn't have to deal with that shit when the approval comes through.

It's a smart business move. The question is whether or not they can brew beer. The talent is/was there, so only time will tell.

As of early December, taproom beers were still "12 weeks out" at least. And yeah, Jordan Keeper was hired as a consultant for the brewery and has since moved to Europe to brew with Trois Dames (per an email from W&P). They apparently brewed a bunch of batches over the last 12 months and harvested some local yeast, cultivating their house strain. They've also planned some collab brew days with people like Jester King.

It's my understanding that the production beer is in barrels and their stuff can only be tasted at special events right now (mostly Cellar members-only).

mateoloco likes this.
  10. Spoonsock

Spoonsock

I guess the first step is admitting I have a problem.

11. NAD1983

NAD1983

It might be a smart business move for them but merch designing, bulk merch orders, setting up an e-commerce site, shipping orders, etc. isn't cheap. If they needed money from you to help them open their brewery then how can they afford all of that? If I had contributed money to them I would prefer that my money go towards opening and brewing beer, not hats and t-shirts.

It's my understanding that they have only poured their beers at an Oregon Truffle Festival dinner event. It was definitely not limited to Cellar members-only. They poured 3 test batches of beers aged on white truffles...

janky and jtmartino like this.
  12. jtmartino

jtmartino

Good point. Hard to say how much capital Christian had before the crowdfunding effort, and where the money was allocated. As I said, time will tell whether or not it was worth the price of admission. As someone who participates in crowdfunding, you have little control over where the money goes. You cross your fingers and wait - Modern Times was a great example of this, and they were brand-heavy before they produced a bunch of great beer.

This is always a funny topic - many brewers who focus solely on the beer produce a good product but know little when it comes to the business development end of the spectrum. Then you have those who are more about branding and business than actually brewing, and the beer is shit.

Hopefully W&P is more focused on brewing, and the merch effort is just to get the name out there. It's no surprise they created merch, as this was one of the "perks" for the lower levels of crowdfunding. Hats, shirts, etc. It's a good move to get those started, so they can provide those benefits to the people who contributed at those levels.

You're right! Did you go and how was the beer?

Looks like there's another opportunity soon scheduled for people to try the beer, and that one definitely is a Cellar-only event (March 12).

13. NAD1983

NAD1983

I did not go. Truffle beers aren't really my style, plus it's a bit out of the way for me.

Ya, that's what my friend said. Too bad they aren't allowing any guests...

14. jtmartino

jtmartino

From the last email:

Your Beer is Alive
    We're aging your first Society brews—and inviting you for a tour.

Greetings sports fans! Hope this weekend brought you lots of good beer and good cheer. We are thrilled to say we had our first successful beer dinner at a little bar in Dayton, about 15 miles south of Springbrook Farm. Thanks to Society members who made the trip all the way to the country! Now, we know what you're thinking—how on Earth could we have a beer dinner before we have beers for the Cellar Society? As you know, we've been brewing and barrel aging since the brewery was functional and we were legally permitted to do so, with all eyes on those first beers for you, our most valued supporters. As those beers age in oak, with pellicles forming (!), we are brewing blending stock, spring grisettes (for April), and quick-turnaround, non-barrel-aged, draft-only, 1-keg experiments for events like this dinner, to build support for the brewery (and move towards revenues after more than two full years of investing in the buildout). We want you to know that Cellar Society beers, being mostly barrel-aged, are taking a bit longer—of course!

Next week we welcome Team Jester King here for a collab brew day (yahoo!) then trek to The Commons for another collab Friday (yahoo!). In between, we're scaling up a field beer we piloted for the Oregon Truffle Fest dinner, La Truffe, using whole, perfectly ripe Oregon white truffles and farm hazelnuts. Without a doubt it's one of the most unusual, delicious beer we've ever brewed, smelled, or tasted!

To see how it's all going, we'd like to invite you for a private, Cellar Society only tour & tasting at Wolves & People on Saturday March 12th from 3-5PM. You'll be able to pick up membership materials, taste several test batches in progress, tour the farm & brewery, and generally kick it. The brewery is 21 miles from Portland, so we'd encourage you to make a day of it and plan to stay for dinner in the area. We love Ruddick/Wood in Newberg (gastropub) and The Bitter Monk in McMinnville (beer bar). For all members, The Bitter Monk is offering Happy Hour prices all night after our gathering. We'd love the opportunity. Please, bring a designated driver. There is heavy police patrol on 99W, esp. on Saturdays, and it is our highest priority that you get home safe and sound after your visit.

Also very important: this is not a public event. We can only invite Cellar Society members (and DD).

The email also had this pic:

[​IMG]

Estate plums?

[​IMG]

15. JulianB

JulianB

That's already better communication and more specifics than what Wakefield managed for that entire society. Also a considerably longer heads-up on the event date.

16. waltersrj

waltersrj

I'm stoked for this and have been since joining the club in Fall 2014 lol. My wife and I will be headed down for the Cellar Society event. Who else is making it down? I honestly think they'll produce some killer beers. Looking forward to finally trying some :)

Spoonsock and jtmartino like this.
  17. waltersrj

waltersrj

Anyone making it to W&P tomorrow? I'll be there with wife in tow. Looking forward to tasting some beers and seeing the place. Just curious if I'll be meeting any TB'ers or not.

18. ardyexfor

ardyexfor

I would have, but they had to do it the same day as Hellshire Day so unfortunately I'll be skipping it. Hoping for a legit release event soon.

waltersrj and Spoonsock like this.
  19. dphi

dphi

I'll be there though I'm not a very prolific TB'er. I do have a +1 since my guest couldn't make though it if anyone wants to tag along.

waltersrj likes this.
  20. DougOLis

DougOLis

Is there something going on tomorrow? Did they email us? Somehow their communication has been arguably worse than even J. Wakefield.