US - Northwest Official Wolves & People Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by jtmartino, Jan 26, 2016.

1. jtmartino

jtmartino

Finally open to the public on Saturday, May 18 (2-8 PM). Announcement made on FB.

At this rate, "members" will get bottles sometime next year.

[​IMG]

waltersrj and Spoonsock like this.
  2. waltersrj

waltersrj

Yay members!

Spoonsock and jtmartino like this.
  3. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter

I like how the email sent out said that if the parking lot is full, consider coming back another time.... hahaha.

If I drive all the way down to the middle of nowhere and the parking lot is full, I am not gonna turn around and drive back. It makes me not want to go in the first place.

4. dphi

dphi

Well that should help with the parking situation a bit.

5. jtmartino

jtmartino

Yeah, I thought that was weird. There's really not a dirt lot or something you can put overflow into? I've never been to the area but it seems weird.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    waltersrj likes this.
  6. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1

Stopped in at Wolves and People at opening on Saturday on the way to the coast.

Chatted with Jake and Christian's fiancee for a while... They could not have been more pleasant and accommodating.

The setting is secluded and is perfect for a farmhouse style brewery... Parking was not an issue at all and there were probably 25ish people there when I left.

The beers were all more than solid and really enjoyed listening about their vision. The strawberry/prickly pear saison was super tasty for a lower ABV beer and the dry-hopped saison was fantastic.

Have not been paying attention to the flap about their membership issues; but personally, I love the concept and expect great beers down the road.

waltersrj and jtmartino like this.
  7. waltersrj

waltersrj

I have felt the same way and as a member of a startup brewery I knew it'd take a lot of time, especially for all the barrel aging they want to do. Hoping for at least a few bottles before the end of the year. Cheers Toby!

jtmartino and JohnGalt1 like this.
  8. waltersrj

waltersrj

Looks like they just bottled La Trufe!

La Truffe, an innovative table stout aged on custom-roasted farm hazelnuts that were infused with locally foraged black and white truffles, a rich, complex, and amazingly easy-drinking brew of just 4.7%abv. A collaboration with the @ortrufflefest, La Truffe now rests for bottle conditioning and labels.

Hoping these are our first cellar member bottles! Sounds interesting.

9. Crusian

Crusian

$30 4.7% here I come.

MKtheGeneral, janky, IronDave and 6 others like this.
  10. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter

I get the sentiment, but I never really understood tying price to abv. I wonder how much of the price for beer is tied to grain volume.

11. jtmartino

jtmartino

Jesus I hope not. Here's to hoping W&P is closer to the DeGarde end of the spectrum instead of going full Ale Apothecary crazy with pricing.

12. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter

Based on society member pricing, I wouldnt hold out for cheap bottles.

13. Crusian

Crusian

Yup, member bottles average out to about $30 if I'm not mistaken.

14. jtmartino

jtmartino

Totes. But I always include some level of significant startup overhead into "member bottles". I'm just hoping they have regular-release stuff that's not $30/bottle. That's the reason why I buy less Ale Apothecary these days.

I definitely understand the need to price high enough to actually make money on the product, but there are a lot of really good producers in Oregon that don't charge that much. I don't see it working out really well for them, unless the product is outstanding.

And here I was, hoping for a PNW-spin on Jester King style beers, thinking that my membership fee would be used for start-up costs and residual overhead of a Newberg-based brewery would be low enough to make some beer in the $15-20 range.

jupiter6xx and tosh like this.
  15. Crusian

Crusian

Yeah, I dropped my aa membership, it was just too damn expensive. Also it didn't help that Paul advertised he would do portland drops last year, then after everyone paid he reneged.
    I appreciated that he eventually did the drop, but still, that's not ok.

janky, jupiter6xx, Spoonsock and 2 others like this.
  16. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

I assumed these guys would be pumping out funky farmhouse beers first and foremost. If I was a member and my first club bottle was a $30 "table stout" I'd be a bit disappointed. Still plan on visiting one of these days.

DougOLis and jtmartino like this.
  17. dphi

dphi

Turns out there's no need for disappointment, the table stout is going to be public release (hopefully for less than $30) and the first club release will be the oak aged plum saison.

jtmartino and Spoonsock like this.
  18. waltersrj

waltersrj

Latest society email:

It sounds like something from a Woody Guthrie song, but it's true; I was raised in a freight car. —Merle Haggard (RIP)
    View this email in your browser
    [​IMG]
    We did it! We opened the doors on May 14 to over 300 guests! Despite the wind and rain you guys helped us have an unforgettable opening day. Thanks to all who came and pitched in! Since then we've had so many happy faces come through the tasting room. Highlights from the busy past two months include attending Oregon Wild's Brewshed Alliance invitational where we poured Instinctive Travels, a lush, dry-hopped saison (and won People's Choice for the fest, huzzah!). Oregon Wildis doing invaluable work on conservation of our natural bounty and we are truly proud to be members. We also enjoyed being a featured part of both Bonnaroo, way out in Tennessee (on a farmhouse brewing panel), and Portland Beer Week's Sour & Wild Seminar, alongside the talented beersmiths of Upright, Alesong, Breakside, and De Garde.

UPDATE ON YOUR FIRST PAIR OF BEERS
    As we've now started bottling, some are wondering about our first Cellar Society bottles. We are happy to update you. The first beers we bottled—a truffle hazelnut table stout and rustic rhubarb saison—are bottle-conditioning now. Note, these arenon-barrel aged beers brewed in full-size batches, and will be released here at the brewery to the public, date TBA shortly, pending label approval. Of course, if you live out of state, we will happily store your beers for you until you or a proxy can pick it up.

**If you would like to reserve bottles to buy that day at your CS discount—15% off; up to two cases per beer, per member—we will gladly reserve it for you; simply email me at christian@wolvesandpeople.com. We can also work with proxies if you wish. As always, feel free to email us with any and all questions!**

As for your first, unique, small batch Cellar Society beer #1, it is slated to be from a single French oak cask in the brewery, as described in December. It is a traditional saison fermented with Sebastian wild yeast, then sent to oak at 6 Plato with about 45lbs of heirloom Brooks plums from the farm, and Amigos, a house mixed sour culture. We will be pulling the nail on this baby this week. If it's where we feel it is optimal, we plan to bottle it and bottle-condition that, await Federal label approval, and make this first pair of beers available here at the brewery for you or a proxy to pick up, as promised.

DRAFT SEASON
    Though we've only been open since mid-May, we've already introduced 28 different beers on draft, including Instinctive Travels, Vale (a smooth and malty biere de garde), Postman, a juicy and rustic spelt-based pale ale, Tractor Pull (a cinnamon-y strong ale), and Brutaal, a wild Belgian pale, among others. Let us know which were your favorites! Head Brewer Jake Miller is seriously mixing it up and having a blast with delicious experiments like Halle Berries and Out of the Meyer, Squally, Welcome, Backstay, The Poet, and Snooze, a tasty, chai-like, low ABV brew made with Bespoken Coffee. Check out what people think so far on our Untappd page.

NEW TASTING ROOM HOURS
    July 8 marks our First Friday! Come meet Zach (our newest colleague) and sample the latest drafts. Saturdays we continue to be open 2-8pm, and Sundays from noon-5pm.

Thus, starting July 8th, we will be open...
    FRIDAYS 4-9pm
    SATURDAYS 2-8pm
    SUNDAYS Noon-5pm

FARM STORE ADDITIONS
    Our grey snap back hats are back in stock, and we have added a sweet pair of beer glasses (like the one shown above), formerly available only in the taproom. This burly 13 oz. tulip glass is sturdy, balanced, and comes engraved with our farm brand symbol in teal. Free shipping, while supplies last. As ever, Cellar Society members can use your 15% discount by entering the secret CS passphrase, CELLARSOCIETY16. Do not share this code please.

DISTRIBUTION BEGINS
    In addition to The Bitter Monk, you can now find selected draft beers in eleven locations outside the brewery, from McMinnville to Newberg and across the Rose City. Please pay these businesses a visit when you get a chance.

COLLABORATIVE DAMAGE
    A mixtape in beer form with our friends at The Bitter Monk and Heater Allen of McMinnville, "Collaborative Damage" is something we're calling a wild dark lager, as it has the unlikely parentage of both wild and Old World lager yeasts, working their respective magics on a rich and roasty biere de garde. The resulting 7%abv brew (crafted in honor of The Bitter Monk's 2nd anniversary) reveals layers of spice, caramel, espresso, citrus peel and stone fruit. There are just a few kegs left at the brewery still and we hope you'll come by for a taste. There just might be a gin barrel aging somewhere with this woolly brew sleeping inside...

Upcoming Events

KRIEKFEST -
    July 9th, Hood River, OR. Up in Hood River, we'll be pouring a very limited amount of Montmorrissey, a pilot batch of oak-aged tart and wild cherry ale, alongside our friend Brian Yaeger's awesomely curated list of likeminded libations. Tickets to Brian's fest are $25 and still available here. Family-friendly, 12pm-8pm. Note, the yield of this batch of beer was so tiny, it was not enough to go around for a Cellar Society batch, but there is a larger run for Cellar Society in progress. Thus, this is a chance to taste the prototype along with crazy-amazing beers like Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen. Jake will be in attendance.

OUR TABLE FARM DINNER - On September 10th, we'll be pouring select brews at the beautiful Our Table Farm in Sherwood (about 6 miles from the brewery), with star Portland chef Joshua McFadden (of Ava Gene's) and Carabella Vineyards. Tickets are on sale now.

See you soon!

Christian DeBenedetti,
    Founder

[​IMG]

jtmartino likes this.
  19. chongcheesol

chongcheesol

If anyone wants to let go of a bottle of La Truffe when the time comes, let me know. Shit sounds weird and delicious and I wants. Thanks!

waltersrj likes this.
  20. waltersrj

waltersrj

Since you're my Garagiste trustee how about I send you some W&P since I'm in that club too :)

chongcheesol likes this.