US - Great Lakes Perrin Brewing Company

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by GRDave, Nov 17, 2014.

1. beerindex

beerindex

I'm not saying you can't come up with a reasonable guess as to what the term means, but I've literally never come across it in reference to anything save this Perrin release, and I've seen many people find the term similarly confusing. As a scotch drinker, single malt has a very specific definition different from what you've provided, and widely used. To me, talking about a bourbon as "single malt" makes about as much sense as referring to something as "Kentucky Scotch."

thebandit1 likes this.
  2. chemman14

chemman14

Uh, to be considered "Bourbon" it has to contain a grist of at least 51% corn. So no, you're wrong.

3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

I'm quite sure I understand the definition of single malt whisk(e)y, no matter the country of origin.
    Is it that unreasonable that someone would distill a 100 percent corn whiskey, and age it in a barrel and call it Single Malt Bourbon? Hell, people call Cascadian Dark Ales Black IPAs!

4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Edit - chemman14 you are correct I misspoke in my initial post, it obviously could not be made of 2 Row barley.
    Sorry about that.

chemman14 likes this.
  5. chemman14

chemman14

But that wouldn't be single "malt" corn is not a malt lol

6. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

I get you. Wonder how they got label approval?

7. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

For those wondering how much is available, I walked by 9 cases at Meijer today, on sale for $15.78 (or something like that). This Meijer usually doesn't get much craft brew so I can only imagine there is a ton at the larger accounts.

Jb123 and MarcatGSB like this.
  8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Any comments on Incognito or Damsel?