US - Great Lakes Perrin Brewing Company

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by GRDave, Nov 17, 2014.

1. beerindex

beerindex

I'm not saying you can't come up with a reasonable guess as to what the term means, but I've literally never come across it in reference to anything save this Perrin release, and I've seen many people find the term similarly confusing. As a scotch drinker, single malt has a very specific definition different from what you've provided, and widely used. To me, talking about a bourbon as "single malt" makes about as much sense as referring to something as "Kentucky Scotch."

thebandit1 likes this.
  2. chemman14

chemman14

Uh, to be considered "Bourbon" it has to contain a grist of at least 51% corn. So no, you're wrong.

3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

I'm quite sure I understand the definition of single malt whisk(e)y, no matter the country of origin.
    Is it that unreasonable that someone would distill a 100 percent corn whiskey, and age it in a barrel and call it Single Malt Bourbon? Hell, people call Cascadian Dark Ales Black IPAs!

4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Edit - chemman14 you are correct I misspoke in my initial post, it obviously could not be made of 2 Row barley.
    Sorry about that.

chemman14 likes this.
  5. chemman14

chemman14

But that wouldn't be single "malt" corn is not a malt lol

6. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

I get you. Wonder how they got label approval?

7. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

For those wondering how much is available, I walked by 9 cases at Meijer today, on sale for $15.78 (or something like that). This Meijer usually doesn't get much craft brew so I can only imagine there is a ton at the larger accounts.

Jb123 and MarcatGSB like this.
  8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Any comments on Incognito or Damsel?

9. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

So, apparently people still stand in line for hours for a beer that will be on grocery store shelves in a week or two.

MarcatGSB, Jas45678, Jb123 and 2 others like this.
  10. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Hah!

11. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

And like clockwork, there were a dozen or more bottles sitting on the grocery store shelf yesterday, remnants of what had apparently hit the shelves a few days earlier. But the beer just doesn't taste the same (or have as high of a trade value) if you don't stand out in the cold rain and pay more per bottle at the brewery.

Meanwhile, apparently the 2016 batch is sitting on store shelves in OH and IN.

Beer!

Kentucky and MarcatGSB like this.
  12. gregkoko

gregkoko

Apparently we get Perrin in NYC now. Not that I really go to bottle shops or beer bars much anymore, but if I come across any what should I be on the look out for?

MarcatGSB likes this.
  13. Jb123

Jb123

No rules, lil Griz is solid....uhhhhh not too much really stands out to me. Most of their ba stuff is good enough to try but no rules is the star, they used to make a beer called malted milk ball Porter that was incredible but they don't any more....solid idea

MarcatGSB and gregkoko like this.
  14. beerindex

beerindex

If you see them on tap: I2D2, Kettle Sour, Kona Brown, and Roeselare (also bottled, but seemingly more available on tap than in bottles, at least in MI). No Rules is worth buying a bottle, but I wouldn't load up on it.

But honestly, the one of those I'd say that is worth making even a little extra effort to get is Roeselare.

gregkoko and MarcatGSB like this.
  15. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

Roeselare was bottled once, a couple of years ago, and I haven't seen it on tap anywhere in ages. Even Untappd check-ins for at least the last 6 months appear to be bottles.

Kona Brown became Hotbox Brown, fwiw.

MarcatGSB, beerindex and Jb123 like this.
  16. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Hot Box is solid but it sounds like that may be draft only for now.
    Lil Grizz is unique and good.
    On tap, Raspberry Blonde and Q-Stew Light Lager stand out for me.

17. GRDave

GRDave

Just confirming......
    [​IMG]

Jb123, AnchorDrops and abawol01 like this.
  18. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops

Awesome, my local Meijer looks the same way except the Triangulation is on the right. It's been this way for a week, maybe 3 bottles have been sold.

That said, I do like it more this year (in small doses). I blew my budget this week between Transient, Speciation, and Vivant.

jupiter6xx and GRDave like this.
  19. Jb123

Jb123

How much money would I have if I didn't drink good beer. Sometimes it sickens me...

GRDave likes this.
  20. beerindex

beerindex

Still cheaper than a coke habit.