Perth 11/16 - 12/6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkse

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Perth 11/16 - 12/6... anything I should be sure to check out beer related or otherwise?

I'd check out the Dutch Trading Company or DTC bar. It is not too far from the city in Victoria Park.

Petition Bar in the city has just opened up with a good tap list. Not far from there is Bob's Bar on the top floor of Print Hall (where the West Australian Newspaper used to be printed). That's about it for bars.

For breweries, Feral and Homestead are quite close. The other Swan Valley breweries are pretty close to one another. Swan Valley is pretty unique, being a wine area so close to a major capital city.

Fremantle is interesting from a historical perspective with a good Maritime Museum and a lot of old buildings. The ferry to Rottnest Island is ok, but if strapped for time, i'd probably suggest seeing a Quokka for the first time isn't really worth it.

If sport is your thing...the Perth Wildcats are a successful basketball team (29 years in a row in the playoffs) and play at a new venue right in the city. Cricket has also started at the WACA ground, also right in the city. Australia is playing New Zealand in a Test Match (5 days) that you might just catch the end of. Otherwise there are domestic games also at that venue.

Margaret River wine region is about a 3 hour drive south of Perth and quite popular. A number of breweries are based in the region. Busselton is also down that way and is a nice beachside town.

If you want to meet up with any beer people, let me know, have a few friends over that way. Likewise, if you are looking to trade any beers, let me know.

Enjoy your trip and Australia.

Agreed with the above about the beer stuff. Margret river is nice but lots of folks on holiday and lots of tourists. Fremantle had all the decent clubs ages ago, not sure if that is still the case. The brass monkey in the city had their own beer the last time I went. It is touristy but nice. Rottnest is cool if you rent a house and stay a bit. the far side of the island is quite nice, just be careful if you beach it - there is some crazy rip currents and undertow off a few of the shores. i recommend waiting for a stormy day and taking the freight ship out there. the ride itself will be an experience in itself if you have a good stomache.

If you have travel time I say go south/east along the coast and make the old growth forest your easternmost stop (you can hit margs along the way). That forest is straight out of a fiction novel. I recommend stopping in Esperence for the night along the way. Or you could head north from Perth and head up to the pinnacles and/or the wave wall. Some crazy natural **** up there too. And bring a compass.

As a afternoon trip i would say to head out to gooseberry hill/Kalamunda and check out the sunset on a clear night from the hill. It overlooks Perth and you can see the ocean in the distance with the sun over the water. Gorgeous. You could also check out Mundy park before hand to scope some wild roo. Head over to the last drop brewpub for some decent local stuff afterward.

Hope that helps. WA is one of my favorite places in the world.

Great, thanks for all the info! I'm going for a job interview/trial period so I'm not really sure how much free time there will be, but I'll check out as much as I can.

Cheers!

Back