Pils & Love Festival 2018: Marina Del Rey, CA (Hosted by Firestone Walker) July 28, 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seedavid

Reaction score
https://www.firestonebeer.com/brewery/pils-and-love.php

I'm almost assuredly not going to this thing, because I don't live on that side of the country, but I wanted to create a thread because this was such an amazing experience last year, and I'm super jealous of everybody that does go. But hey, at least it will be back in Portland, ME in 2019.

Of note:

responsive-image.php

Yeah, I can't lie -- the space is lackluster at best. Even the restaurant + the two parking lots together is a relative small area. I'm excited to see more events at Propagator and would like to hope this isn't a miss. West LA is a tough market. Blargh.
I can’t speak to the space itself... but I think we got kind of spoiled in Portland. There was more boat traffic than car traffic.

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

I'll be going because Firestone Venice is a 5 minute Uber ride from my house and I can't pass up any fest that close...let alone a Pils Fest!

I'm guessing that they will close out the middle parking lot and rearrange the interior of the restaurant and store.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle a festival. That particular corner of West LA is the worst of the worst. I don't blame anyone for not being enthusiastic about the location. But at least there are a ton of great dining options within a relative short distance.

I can’t speak to the space itself... but I think we got kind of spoiled in Portland. There was more boat traffic than car traffic.

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

Eppig's new spot in Point Loma, San Diego is sorta similar to that vibe but they are such a small brewery compared to FW. And Eppig makes some killer lagers too.

Anyone who went to the Portland edition remember when in July it was? Looking at honeymooning in Portland in July next year and it would be great to fit this in.

IMG_3193.JPG
It was beautiful. The best possible weather. Didn't know you were there (I can see myself in this picture).

Begrudgingly bought tickets despite high price.

Updated brewery list from email:

2018 Attending Breweries
Alvarado Street
Arts District
Austin Beer Garden
Bagby
Beachwood
Bierstadt
Birra Elvo
Birrificio Italiano
Boneyard
Breakside
Burial Beer Co.
Central Coast Brewing
Chuckanut Brewery
Creature Comforts
Enegren
Figueroa Mountain
Firestone Walker
Green Cheek
Half Acre
Heater Allen
Highland Park
Hill Farmstead
Holy Mountain
Institiution Ales
L.A. Aleworks
Live Oak
Lost Nation
Mastino
Monkish
Modern Times
Moonlight Brewing
Mukkeller Family Brewery
Oxbow
pFriem Family
Prost
Revolution
Ritual Lab
Russian River
Schoenrom
Smog City
Suarez Family
Sun King
Temescal
The Veil
Three Weavers
Tired Hands
Topa Topa
Tributary
Tröegs
Trumer Pils
Two Roads
Urban Chestnut
Victory
Wayfinder
Zero Gravity

Has this event always been $60 or is that the FW tax at work? I figured it would come in around $45 for a pilsner festvial that doesn't even include food.

Has this event always been $60 or is that the FW tax at work? I figured it would come in around $45 for a pilsner festvial that doesn't even include food.

Last year in Portland, ME, the ticket was $45.00, plus a $3.57 service fee. So yeah, it was less.

Did last year include lobster rolls, or were those a separate purchase? At that price point I'd assume separate.

Food was separate, but the quality was high and (at least in my opinion) the pricing was fair. I mean, the lobster roll I had from High Roller at the festival was infinitely better than the much more expensive one I had at Eventide the night before. They also had fresh shucked oysters, and then more standard fare like pizza and hotdogs.

Also there was a lady walking around playing the accordion.

Did you pass on it? Cause your picture is still up behind the check in booth of Propagator to refuse service. Juuuuuuuuuust sayin' :rolleyes:

Sometimes I get confused by threads because it looks like someone is talking to themselves. But I think I have a pretty good idea what is happening here.

Food was separate, but the quality was high and (at least in my opinion) the pricing was fair. I mean, the lobster roll I had from High Roller at the festival was infinitely better than the much more expensive one I had at Eventide the night before. They also had fresh shucked oysters, and then more standard fare like pizza and hotdogs.

Also there was a lady walking around playing the accordion.

Accordion lady was the MVP of the festival last year.

Did you pass on it? Cause your picture is still up behind the check in booth of Propagator to refuse service. Juuuuuuuuuust sayin' :rolleyes:
hahahhaah for real? That's ****ing amazing. I was told at the time of banning (from the man himself) to give it a while. It's been two years and I bought the last parabajava release at the paso and barrelworks location so *shrug* And yes I am very likely passing as $60 is a lot of money for a pilsner only fest.

I have two tickets that I can't use. Gotta work that day. Hate to see them go to waste. If somebody wants them. they are yours. Just need your name and email.
Did anyone ever grab these from you? Contemplating going Saturday, seems like a great day to drink pilsner.

Back