US - Mid-Atlantic Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by jakeox, Nov 15, 2013.

1. jakeox

jakeox

I am going to be in the Pittsburgh area over Thanksgiving weekend. Where should I buy beer? What beer should I buy?

I searched and I'm pretty sure that A) we don't already have a Pittsburgh guide, and B) we have several members from the 'burgh and its surrounding area.

... so hopefully yinz can tell me where to go get and drink beer when I'm in town.

blue_bleeder likes this.
  2. JM03

JM03

Where in Pittsburgh will you be? Have vehicle/willing to travel any?

jeblikesbeer and jakeox like this.
  3. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

Thanks for reminding that I've been slacking off on my desire to write a Pittsburgh travel guide.

As JM03 asked? Location is key. Pittsburgh is very geography challenged and the options will be weighted based on what part of town you'll be in and if you have a car or not.

jakeox and JM03 like this.
  4. jakeox

jakeox

I'm going to be staying in the Ohio Township area, but will have a car and will probably be in Pittsburgh proper at least once or twice over the weekend. Will probably have other family visits around the area, but I'm not sure exactly where they are.

5. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

Real quick

Places to eat and drink lots of good beer on tap
    Fatheads - South Side (A must stop for everyone, although recommend going during the day)
    Smokin Joes - South Side
    The Library - South Side
    Carson St. Deli - South Side
    Basically there is a ton of good places to eat and drink on the South Side, but its a mad house at night, especially on the weekend. Dont expect to walk in Fatheads on a Saturday night and be able to sit anywhere.
    Industry Public House - Lawrenceville (Beer, bacon, and hipsters)
    Mad Mex (several) - There's one in just about every area of town.
    Harris Grill - Shadyside
    Kelly's Bar - East Liberty
    Sharp Edge (several) - One of the original destinations, but pricey and Belgian-focused.

Places to buy beer:
    Beer isn't generally available in grocery stores, with some exceptions. It's also not available by the bottle or six packs in liquor stores. You gotta buy by the case from a distributor or by the bottle from a restaurant or six pack shop (which usually sells some hot dogs to qualify as a restaurant).

D's Six Packs and Dogs - Regent Square (East End) and Monroeville
    House of 1000 Beers - They bring in a lot of grey market shit, so you're best bet at finding out of market stuff, but seriously marked up. Its also way out in New Kensington, so not particularly convenient if you're not already out that way.
    Several of the higher end Giant Eagle grocery stores sell beer. Whole Food in Wexford sells beer, but the Shadyside Whole Foods does not.

6. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

For Ohio Township area:

Giant Eagle in Settlers Ridge
    Bocktown Bar and Grill in Robinson Twp
    Mad Mex Robinson
    Sharp Edge Creekhouse

7. jakeox

jakeox

This is great stuff, thanks!

I plan to stock up on Head Hunter while I'm there, and I know and like most of the Voodoo beers I've had (I know, Meadville isn't all that close to Pittsburgh). Are there other local beers I should know about?

8. JM03

JM03

HeadHunter about summed it all up.
    If you want to head to Ohio (about 50min up turnpike from where youll be) you can check out places like
    Chalet Premier (liquor store but a nice expanding craft selection. Good prices)
    Vintage Estate (expensive, but the biggest selection youll find anywhere)

jakeox and HeadHunter like this.
  9. JM03

JM03

In Pa, some things you wont find in IL are Terrapin, Duck Rabbit, Voodoo, Fat Heads..
    In Oh, you can pick up White Rajah, Columbus..

jakeox and HeadHunter like this.
  10. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

Cheapest way to stock up on Head Hunter would be to get a case from somewhere (assuming you're driving). I'm not as familiar with the distributors out that way, but Buddy's in the South Side and Save Mor in Squirrel Hill are usually good bets to have them.

Voodoo stuff you're mostly going to find here are the regular offerings (Pilzilla, Voodoo Love Child, etc.) Some of the better bottle shops may still have some Big Black Voodoo Daddy.

Other local breweries of note include East End and Roundabout. I havent had a chance to try Roundabout yet, but Steve Sloan (the head brewer and founder) won a shit ton of medals at GABF when he was still at Church Brew Works. I guess I should mention Church Brew Works (ZOMG! a beer in an old church!). But its mostly a touristy destination and the beers are pretty hit and miss, especially since Steve left.

There is also Rivertowne and Full Pint, but they're mostly meh.

jakeox likes this.
  11. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

Yeah, I used to make the drive to Vintage Estate on a regular basis back when Ron still owned it. But with rising gas prices and PA getting more labels in I havent made the trip in a while.

JM03 likes this.
  12. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

BTW, East End unfortunately just sold the last of their Gratitude barleywine for the year (although there may be causes of old Flatitude left for sale). At least from the brewery location, there may be bottles still left in the Pittsburgh Public Market location.

13. pgh_penguins

pgh_penguins

jakeox I'll be in Pittsburgh around the same time if you want to set up an IP trade or if you want some NC local brews.

jakeox likes this.
  14. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

Does Troegs distribute to IL? If not, I'd recommend stocking up on some Flying Mouflan.

15. jakeox

jakeox

Troegs doesn't make it here ... haven't had that one but have liked most of their other beers that I've had.

16. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

Actually I just remembered that Mouflan wasnt bottled this year. So anything you see on the shelves would be at least a year old. Past batches have been pretty nice with a year on them in my experience.

jakeox likes this.
  17. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

And if you like whiskey, Wigle Whiskey in the Strip District distills and sells some good white rye and wheat whiskey. They also have cask aged stuff, but they are local whiskey walez and sell out pretty quick however. Although there may still be some in stock this weekend (they just had a sale last weekend).

https://www.wiglewhiskey.com/

jakeox likes this.
  18. HeadHunter

HeadHunter

Just stopped by Wigle. They have all the cask aged whiskey in stock except the Cherry wood aged Rye (unfortunately).

19. Calcifer

Calcifer

I was just at the Giant Eagle in Robinson (Settler's Ridge) a few days ago and they had plenty of Flying Mouflan available. My usual go-tos are GE Robinson, GE Shaler, Whole Foods Wexford, and House of 1,000 Beers, and then Buddy's Brews on Carson when I want a case.

ur boy catlicks likes this.
  20. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter

I'm stuck up here for work through the rest of the month. Is Pittsburgh going to get BCBS and where would I need to look to purchase such beer?