US - Mid-Atlantic Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by jakeox, Nov 15, 2013.

1. PSUMike

PSUMike

I would agree about La Pienture.

I've only had Fou once previously. I'm not sure if it was a 14 or a 15 but I thought it was fantastic, albeit not blind. The 16 was still pretty good if a bit over-sour. 15 was borderline awful.

MooseLang likes this.
  2. dadavat

dadavat

I think the other guys summed up the tasting well. I'd just like to add that I really liked the Casey beers in addition to the weldworks. All of the fruit that both of these breweries use comes from the same region, so I think fruit quality and freshness have arguably the biggest influence on the final product.

The bruery beer was excellent as well, and I think the fruit in that one comes from a notable grower too.

3. preluderl

preluderl

The very first batch of Red Briar was straight fire. I would have put it up against Atrial Rubicite and all the other red raspberry wilds that get so much pub. I'm with you on La Pienture, but again, it's the consistency thing.

I really enjoy Geestilijke when it's on, but it's a total crap shoot. I've had at least three or four batches of that beer and none of them have been the same... And we're not talking about variables within a reasonable margin, we're talking so much deviation that they're not even recognizable as the same beer.

london1o1 likes this.
  4. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup

Right, that makes sense. Begs the question of whether it would've been given proper credit if everyone had known what it was. Never know.

5. nhindian

nhindian

Improper use of 'begging the question'. -5 points for Gryffindor.

brother rebus, kbuzz and preluderl like this.
  6. preluderl

preluderl

[​IMG]

kbuzz likes this.
  7. london1o1

london1o1

The problem with DL has never been inability to make a good or even great beer. It's always been inconsistency. I can't even say X DL beer is great, I can only say it was great that one specific time I had it. Next time it might be a completely different beer by the same name.

8. preluderl

preluderl

Exactly this.

9. PSUMike

PSUMike

In this immediate circle, I would probably say yes. I think we can usually be pretty objective. Hell, we may have even thought higher of it had we'd known prior to drinking it because it was such a surprise. When we drank the WW abomination, nhindian let the cat out of the bag that he brought the Grand Blu and all of us were sure that's what it was because it so was strikingly awful. He brought it thinking it was going to be a kind of a "ha ha" beer. But it was pretty tasty and I would absolutely buy it even being a pretty steadfast Draai Laag detractor. I won't call it great but it's very good.

10. preluderl

preluderl

That raspberry Berliner they just did, Razmata, was really tasty too IMO.

11. kbuzz

kbuzz

[​IMG]

12. preluderl

preluderl

You know nothing.

kbuzz likes this.
  13. kbuzz

kbuzz

[​IMG]

14. preluderl

preluderl

This is likely correct. I maintain that beer is pretty good though.

kbuzz likes this.
  15. tommyguz

tommyguz

I think that belongs to Blaeber but

london1o1, PSUMike and MooseLang like this.
  16. tommyguz

tommyguz

I'm for one shocked there's an actual decent in depth conversation about beer that I wanted to read on here. Really shocked. Thanks guys.

17. MooseLang

MooseLang

Whoa, didn't know Blabaer was part of the "basic" lineup. Here, I think you dropped your monocle, Mr. T. Guz.

(when I say "basic" I pretty much mean any Cantillon distributed to the US)

18. tommyguz

tommyguz

My bad! I didn't realize fou was distributed around the US. I just thought you meant all of cantillon

MooseLang likes this.
  19. shuggy

shuggy

I would also happily buy Grand Blu. It was very enjoyable. Can't help but wonder if it being good was just dumb luck though. Typically whatever DL decides to do to a beer shows up in spades. Problem is they usually have a very bad idea to begin with. The idea for Grand Blu was no different however they thankfully(luckily?) whiffed on any kind of blue cheese presence. Had it followed the usual DL path it would've been a blue cheese bomb and likely the only beer that could've made Garcon de Ferme seem good in comparison. Congrats DL on missing the intended mark for this one.

You're welcome.

20. brother rebus

brother rebus

can someone send me a copy of their studyguide on these "blind tasting" things. still struggling with the concept.