US - New England Portland, ME Guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Brez07, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Brez07

Brez07

Depends on what the release is. Although lately I've been seeing things available on Sunday more often. Check their IG, they post quantity available every day just before open.

jeevo likes this.
  2. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter

In Portland Maine. This place is beautiful. Just grabbed a lobster roll at high roller. And drinking delicious Austin street beer.

Does anyone know where to pick up a bottle shipper?

3. JBPortland

JBPortland

Bier Cellar sometimes has some cardboard 6-bottle ones but they're a little pricey. Not sure if in stock now. Shippers seem pretty quality though.

4. tylerk88

tylerk88

Pretty hilarious that people are complaining. How dare MBC deny people the joy of waiting hours in line to buy a case of beer!

lambandtunaphish and JBPortland like this.
  5. JBPortland

JBPortland

About damn time.

KevinC and lambandtunaphish like this.
  6. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter

Just wanted to thank people for the suggestions here. We did:

High roller lobster rolls.
    Austin street brewery
    Thirsty pig
    Novare res
    Even tide.

Plus drank some bissel and allagash. Austin street is the real deal. Some of the best ipas I had on our trip through New England.

7. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

Planning a visit to Portland next year. After reading through the first page I'm even more excited. Thanks Brez07 for putting that list together!

8. oldp0rt

oldp0rt

Hey guys,

I'll be in Portland jan 25th to 29th.

If you guys need anything from montreal, let me know and I'll try and bring it down.

Brez07 and JBPortland like this.
  9. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

Was able to hit Portland for a few hours last week while visiting my in-laws who live about an hour outside of town. Was able to hit Bissell for Subby and Umbra and the Bier Cellar. Always wish I had more time to tool around Portland, especially out of season.

Was curious about people's thoughts about Portland/Freeport beer not named Bissell/Foundation/MBC. What's the general reputation of places like Rising Tide, Banded Horn, Liquid Riot, etc.? When I was up in the summer I fell in love with MITA and Pisces from RT and Headstash from LR. Banded Horn released Daikaiju right as we were leaving town last week so I didn't get to grab any, but I'd read in some places that it's pretty good and largely underrated because it's overshadowed by what else comes out of Portland. Wanted to toss that out there and get everybody's thoughts. Being from own of town I want to try as much as I can whenever I'm up.

Brez07 and seedavid like this.
  10. gregkoko

gregkoko

I've enjoyed everything I've had from Austin Street.

chekyo4, Brez07 and PubGrubTrub like this.
  11. tylerk88

tylerk88

Don't sleep on Oxbow. Rising Tide is a stone's throw away and their beers are different enough that the two compliment one another nicely.

dubdrop, chekyo4, Brez07 and 2 others like this.
  12. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

Visited Oxbow in August and really dug them as well before stopping by Rising Tide. We went in the middle of the week so both places were quiet and relaxed. I'm a sucker for saisons and funk so they were a nice treat.

13. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

I've been to Foundation once to buy cans really quickly but didn't have time to walk back to visit Austin. Next trip I'm hopeful to do that. I did grab a bottle of something of theirs at Bier Cellar last week but the name of it escapes me at the moment.

gregkoko likes this.
  14. Brez07

Brez07

I'm a big fan of Austin St and Barreled Souls is probably the most slept on brewery in the area. Liquid Riot tap offerings are always solid too, with a few that wow.

But really, compared to like 6-7 years ago this area is full of good beer. There's really only a few breweries I'd advise to skip.

15. My three favorite Maine breweries (Austin St., Oxbow, and Allagash) are not MBC/Bissell/Foundation. The former two wouldn't crack my top five or six let alone top 3. My feelings on Bissell remain the same as they've always been: great branding, nice people, beer that I usually won't even go ten minutes out of my way for.

16. tylerk88

tylerk88

IMHO MBC is producing the best hoppy beer in Maine. I like a lot of Bissell and Foundation's output (Substance and Epiphany in particular) but between batch variation and too many duds I'll take MBC.

jeevo likes this.
  17. Brez07

Brez07

Which is ironic because that (along with a few other reasons) was why I quit buying MBC altogether a few years back.

oldp0rt, tehzachatak and JBPortland like this.
  18. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

I listed MBC, Bissell and Foundation specifically since, as an out-of-towner, those are the three that I probably hear about the most in NJ/NYC. We do get MBC here in fits and starts, while Bissell and Foundation beers (typically Epiphany) are highly sought after down here in trades. I know some Oxbow makes it to NYC now but outside of them, MBC and Allagash, we don't see a whole lot of Maine beer here in general.

You raise an interesting perspective on Bissell because I'd say down here some people have a very similar viewpoint of Other Half.

Brez07 likes this.
  19. Ditto

Brez07 likes this.
  20. Nothing wrong with Bissell. I hate on plenty of breweries and I'll never hate on them. I think their beer is fine. I just don't understand why people freak out about it when there's like a half dozen small breweries in each other northeast state making IPA better than them.

PubGrubTrub, Brez07 and JBPortland like this.