US - New England Portland, ME Guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Brez07, Oct 3, 2013.

1. gregkoko

gregkoko

I would take Reciprocal over anything Other Half makes

2. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

Same. I don't go into what I've discussed about OH with my friends in an effort not to hijack, but I agree with you.

gregkoko likes this.
  3. PubGrubTrub

PubGrubTrub

Appreciate the feedback everyone. I try to make an effort to drink local whenever I travel so the input and discussion is greatly appreciated. If anybody finds themselves down in north Jersey or NYC and wants to grab a beer, let me know. First round is on me.

Brez07, tehzachatak and gregkoko like this.
  4. tylerk88

tylerk88

I went to the last ticketed release and it was, without a doubt, the easiest/quickest beer release I've been to. Glad they're sticking with the tickets.

GuzzleMcBrew and PubGrubTrub like this.
  5. JBPortland

JBPortland

And now if they just stopped charging the equivalent of $32 per 4-pack we'd have a decent beer release on our hands...

blckout20, Phin, GuzzleMcBrew and 6 others like this.
  6. mixylplik4

mixylplik4

I decided to try the ticketed system for this Dinner release. I was due, MBC is barely 15 minutes from my house. Everything went smoothly, yet it still took 90 minutes to snake through the line and pay via the 2 manned (out of 4) registers. I haven't done a "release" of any kind in years and figured that since people were given time slots, things should move right along. This is a totally asinine thing to complain about in the grand scheme of things but after all these years and iPad/smart phone POS systems there is just no reason it needs to take this long. But I had a few nice conversations. No complaints about the crowd. Some couple drove up from North Carolina just for this release, which I think is amazing. The most I've ever traveled for beer specifically was a 7 hour drive for Le Bleu in Ithaca back in 2011, which was literally the last beer release I went to.

But I will admit this beer is tasty as fuck.

7. Brez07

Brez07

My disdain for MBC is well documented, but it sounds like yesterday was a one-off issue. I ran into a friend who works there yesterday after the release who said they were having computer/network issues.

Phin likes this.
  8. Doc

Doc

I will be in Portland with my wife this weekend. So excite.

Os, KevinC, ckowalski and 1 other person like this.
  9. Doc

Doc

Loved it up here. Did Swish release at Bissell yesterday, also visited Allagash, Foundations 2nd anniversary event, as well as one other right around the corner that I can't recall.

CoinStarChange, Brez07 and JBPortland like this.
  10. CoinStarChange

CoinStarChange

I'm headed up to Portland tomorrow and I can't fucking wait. Second time, but this time it's for pure leisure.

I just saw someone developed a Bissell Brother app that I intend on using often.

On the average, what time does one need to get to Bissell in order to be assured a release like Reciprocal? Follow up question but with the daily canned Substance?

Thanks.

11. Doc

Doc

Granted I've only been once, but Swish was available for at least an hour and a half last Saturday.

Brez07 likes this.
  12. sparged

sparged

Really dug Austin St's Neverender on Saturday. First time having that beer.

Brez07 likes this.
  13. tylerk88

tylerk88

GMRfx, rhino8888 and KevinC like this.
  14. MooltiPass

MooltiPass

It's hard to think of a festival concept I'm more into than one that's just a ton of pilsners. And I've still never been to Portland, this seems as good of an excuse as any.

tehzachatak, Os, KevinC and 1 other person like this.
  15. :eek:

No excuses.

Brez07 and MooltiPass like this.
  16. MooltiPass

MooltiPass

None shall be made, it has been my not so secret shame that will be rectified thanks to my love of Pilsners.

17. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

I'll be in Portland tomorrow night and Sunday all day. Short trip. Anything awesome going on?

Brez07 and Os like this.
  18. Brez07

Brez07

Oxbow Farmhouse Funkadelic (tap takeover) at Novare

Saugusbrewer, Os and nathanmiller like this.
  19. tylerk88

tylerk88

Just have to say that Allagash is the best in the biz in terms of hospitality. Coffee and donuts at the release; free flights; free bottle bags; surprise bottles of Resurgam for sale. With no limits on the CR, I saw employees using a dolly to help customers get their 10ish cases out the door.

Brez07, seedavid, rhino8888 and 3 others like this.
  20. thegerm87

thegerm87

Sometimes I go just for the free donuts, coffee, and flights. No other brewery that I've been to treats their customers like that - especially every time they have a release.

Brez07, seedavid and JBPortland like this.