US - New England Portland, ME Guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Brez07, Oct 3, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. BSimp603

BSimp603

Twice a year, spring and fall. Always a good time.

2. brother rebus

brother rebus

gonna send a stool muel on 4/27. thanks friends.

3. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 11.09.07 AM.png

Allagash fans dream

4. brother rebus

brother rebus

sorry- forgot to ask if the Tributary bottle releases bring on heavy line-ups. Or whether one could dip in a little later and grab some bottles and go.

5. mixylplik4

mixylplik4

I was told July 20 by someone at the tasting room. Same place by the Springpoint Ledge Lighthouse. See you there!

timotao, BeersMorgan and seedavid like this.
  6. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

I can't miss this one, can't do it, but I was really hoping for mid-August. :(

timotao and seedavid like this.
  7. Kraftster

Kraftster

Hey all,

Heading to Maine in September. Air bnb in Georgetown for 4 nights and tent camping in Acadia for 2. I'll be hitting Suarez on the way up from Pittsburgh and detouring home through Greensboro, so locking in those bookends, my time in Maine won't be all that beer-filled. But I do want to try to get to Novare Res, Allagash, MBC, and Oxbow (Newcastle) if I can.

Primary questions are:

(1) Any breweries stand out as being a good stop with kids (8 and 5)?
    (2) Bars/restaurants suitable for kids with a nice beer selection?
    (3) Pretty sure in Acadia I'll just be enjoying my Suarez pils under the stars, but is there anything beer-related up that way that I'm missing?

Non-beer-related: Any favorite hikes, factoring in kids, within a reasonable drive from Georgetown?

8. Iliketurtles

Iliketurtles

There aren't any extensive hikes on georgetown. It's not a huge island. I recommend going to reid state park and climbing on the rocks and walking both beaches. At low tide search through the rocks at the end of the beaches for crabs. Popham beach is also amazing, but that is a 45 minute drive. There is a popham fort kids can walk around too a little further up the road. Thorne Head Preserve is a decent easy hike in bath. You can also just walk along the waterfront in bath.

I know nothing about kid friendly beer places. Oxbow Newcastle I believe there are minor hikes around the property. Georgetown and Bath are beer wastelands. The "brewery" in bath is horrible. Beale street is probably the best bet for beer/really good food/kid friendly in bath.

Brez07 and Kraftster like this.
  9. Kraftster

Kraftster

Thanks for the response! I've always wanted to go to the original Oxbow and have heard, as you said, there are some short trails and that it is very kid friendly.

I know Georgetown itself isn't a destination. It really worked out to be the best option for (relative) proximity to Portland, Freeport, and some relatives I have that live in Phippsburg, when accounting for price. When I'm driving 14 hours for vacation, I am not really phased by 45-90 minute drives to get places, so I welcome any recommendations within that distance!

10. Iliketurtles

Iliketurtles

In that case, wolfe's neck state park near freeport is good. Head down to the rocks to look for eagles on the island right off the shore.

Mount Battie in Camden - can be done on the way to acadia

There still aren't any amazing hikes I know of within 90 minutes of georgetown.

Kraftster likes this.
  11. iong516

iong516

If you're passing through Bangor at a time it makes sense, Nocturnem is a solid restaurant/bar with good taps and occasional awesome finds in their rar cooler. There's not a ball pit, but it's suitable enough for kids I'd think?

Southwest Harbor has a good liquor store with lots of beer. I've been finding less rare stuff there the past few years, but it's still always worth a pop in. Sometimes bottles get tucked behind other bottles on shelves, left in strange corners...

Kraftster likes this.
  12. seedavid

seedavid

I haven't been to Portland since the last Pils and Love Fest there in 2017, and am so fucking happy to be attending again this year. So are there any bars, breweries, or restaurants that have opened in the last 2 years that I simply must visit?

Also, the last time I was up I recall it being nearly goddamned impossible to find somewhere to eat breakfast that didn't have like a 10 hour wait, so I am most definitely also looking for coffee and breakfast spot recs.

Thank you all, and I look forward to drinking my weight in pilsner then falling asleep on a jetty in your fine city.

Brez07 and jeanjacketlover like this.
  13. HopStocker

HopStocker

You probably already are aware, but hit Novare Res for sure. Also every time I’m there and I run into the same issue I usually hit East Ender, great brunch spot

Brez07 likes this.
  14. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

Same!

jeanjacketlover and seedavid like this.
  15. MooseLang

MooseLang

In Maine for the week for Vacation.

What’s the deal with this Russian River drop while Vinnie is in town?

Staying in Ogunquit, but will be venturing to Portland at some point.

So hard to leave this State.

Brez07 likes this.
  16. Brez07

Brez07

According to the manager at Novare, they have asked for a while and it finally happened. Feel like there's a little more to it but <shruggyshoulders>

MooseLang likes this.
  17. Brez07

Brez07

Solution is go early :cool:

I do find that Local 188 gets busier later than most and their brunch is great. But this time of the year practically everything is busy.

seedavid likes this.
  18. HopStunna

HopStunna Premium Supporter Contributor

Can anyone gpiufmb today? A four pack or two of HTFGATT? I’ll be in Portland Thursday and can hook up anyone who can do so.

Cheers