US - Northwest Portland thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Yeastbreath, Sep 30, 2013.

1. litheum94

litheum94

Yeah, I was assuming that there was at least a small about of bias in the article.

dimensionx and coach like this.
  2. abawol01

abawol01

Why do all of you hate Sassy's so much? It's such a fine establishment.

BrandoSF, FoudreGuy and wuntrikpony like this.
  3. ggfunk

ggfunk

People hate Sassys?

xnicknj, coach, litheum94 and 4 others like this.
  4. abawol01

abawol01

Yes, you.

5. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead

In general, I think it's pretty safe to say that bias in beer media reporting within the industry is heavily weighted toward looking through rose-colored lenses. Obviously we all love beer, and we want the little guys in the craft industry to do well, but on the same token I don't think it's necessarily healthy to minimize or sweep negative (but potentially relevant) facts and reasonable constructive criticism under the rug. This is of course assuming that beer writers maintain journalistic integrity, which is admittedly a tall ask given that standard is in sharp decline just about everywhere.

tl;dr old man yells at cloud - respect beer

exitmusic00, coach, FoudreGuy and 5 others like this.
  6. abawol01

abawol01

7. litheum94

litheum94

exitmusic00, BrandoSF, coach and 5 others like this.
  8. libbey

libbey

BridgePort IPA was one of the first beers to pull me into Craft beer. Bummer for sure

exitmusic00, BrandoSF, jmgrub and 5 others like this.
  9. xnicknj

xnicknj

exitmusic00, jmgrub, coach and 2 others like this.
  10. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

So much Hop Czar back in the day.

11. Digita7693

Digita7693

First keg donation I procured for Brews for New Avenues 1 was from Bridgeport. RIP

12. Yeastbreath

Yeastbreath

Always have had a soft spot for Bridgeport. Their IPA won my personal “battle of the grocery store IPA’s” when I first started paying more attention to beer, they were always there for me right after I finished a workout at the LA Fitness across the street, and I was denied service during a beer crawl the week before I got married...good times. Bummer to see them go, but makes the taphandle I have extra OG.

13. box_social

box_social

I wonder how long until Portland Brewing is done for. seems like they are next at this point as far as larger breweries go. I know they are owned by FIFCO but I could see the brand being dropped and the building staying open as a contract brew facility for Pyramid, Magic Hat, BJ's, Buffalo Bill's, etc.

14. falc0n2600

falc0n2600

Their tasting room closed last year.

exitmusic00 and jmgrub like this.
  15. litheum94

litheum94

Yeah, but they're still making beer.

16. falc0n2600

falc0n2600

It doesn’t bode well. I don’t think I’ve ever had a Portland Brewing beer? Nor have I seen it on tap... ever? Honestly, there’s plenty of breweries that have been puttering along for years (and decades) now that always surprise me when I realize they’re still around. Lucky Lab, Lompoc, etc.

exitmusic00 likes this.
  17. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

You've never had a Mactarnahan's? Its probably been 20 years since I had my last but I've drank my fair share of it. I actually used to like their Blackwatch cream porter way back when.

18. Digita7693

Digita7693

Lucky lab makes a lot more sense than Bridgeport, as far as being around.
    I lived a block from Bridgeport and went once. Lucky Lab has a bit more of a niche. Neighborhood, family and dog friendly bar in relaxed atmosphere with decent food. On a nice evening my partner and I walked the 10ish blocks to LL countless times. Were/are their beers as good as other things in the area? Not at all. But do they have a nice chill atmosphere? Absolutely.
    Granted, that was a few years ago now and before Breakside, Von ebert, ten barrel arrived in the same area.
    I can hardly imagine a situation where I would now go to LL over Breakside.

19. anteater

anteater

Gotta agree on Lucky Lab, at least in Northwest. The beer is fine but they have darts, a decent outdoor space, and ALWAYS enough room no matter how big your group is so it's great for happy hours, clubs etc...

They actually make my favorite altbier but it never seems to be on tap these days.

20. falc0n2600

falc0n2600

Time to check out some Lucky Lab!

I know y’all will hate me for this, but I was at Kennedy School a few weeks ago and their 33rd State hazy IPA was excellent. It won top 5 in a blind IPA taste test about a year ago. I also had some Elijah Craig for $7, which is not bad in Portland, even including dive bars.