US - Northwest Portland thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Yeastbreath, Sep 30, 2013.

1. AlexM

AlexM

I was just in Portland last week ... never been to Great Notion, so I made it the first stop of my beer crawl = GN, Cascade, HotD, The Coomons, Growler Guys, etc ... Great Notion fucked the entire crawl up, I never left! Dat Great Notion shit is just TOO GOOD, I was beyond impressed!!! You PDX peeps are blessed :)

2. BBA

BBA

Yeah Great Notion continues to kill it.

abawol01 likes this.
  3. Andelliotsaid

Andelliotsaid

Hey guys, looking for some advice.

My significant other and I are flying into Portland January 6th and staying till the 10th. My birthday is the 7th.

We rented a car and planned on driving up to Tillamook right when we get in. Stay the night and spend my birthday at de Garde. We could drive back to Portland that night.

Other than Great Notion are there any places that are must hit in Portland? Any good food places? We are staying right near the airport so that will be our homebase.

Obviously everything is weather permitting for two people born and raised in so cal.

Thanks so much for any recommendations / advice.

Elliot

4. Sage

Sage

BigFrank, litheum94, NAD1983 and 3 others like this.
  5. GregorySingh

GregorySingh

Andelliotsaid i have been to 90% of the places on this list, and you really can not go wrong with any of them. Kachka and Little Bird would probably be at the top for me if I had to pick a couple though...

6. drgarage

drgarage

And Pine State Biscuits and Tasty & Elder for breakfast!

Han Yolo, davemont, rrrjjj and 3 others like this.
  7. abawol01

abawol01

And Genie's! Make sure you hit Genie's for breakfast Andelliotsaid

8. NAD1983

NAD1983

At least you didn't say Petit Provence...

Am I the only one that hates waiting in line for brunch? I would much rather go somewhere that takes reservations or isn't busy. The best brunches I've had in Portland have been no wait and a half empty restaurant.

If you have a party larger than 6, then I would highly recommend either Tasty locations since they take reservations for large parties. It's soooo good but waiting over an hour while hungover is not my cup of tee.

Here's my favorite resource because it includes maps and all relevant links: http://pdx.eater.com/maps

9. coach

coach

Eater PDX is a good food resource.

For beer, besides GN, I suggest Upright, Cascade, maybe Commons, maybe Breakside, maybe HotD, depending on what you're into. Don't sleep on Upright though. If you want to hit great beer bars, APEX, Beermongers, Belmont Station, Bailey's, and Tin Bucket are your best bets.

10. coach

coach

Also--and excuse me while I toot my own horn then run away because I almost hate to mention it--I "curate" a Visiting Portland thread in the NW forum on, well, another beer-related discussion board on a certain website that shall remain nameless. It's pretty thorough, and hits a lot of the must-stop places that most PDX beer people agree on.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  11. coach

coach

I can't tell you how many times I've walked past Genie's without even thinking about eating there. I've been in once, but just to get coffee. Based on the several glowing recommends you've given, I'm gonna have to check it out.

12. abawol01

abawol01

Do it. Seriously the best breakfast and possibly meal I've had in Portland. The bloody mary's are awesome as well.

13. to re-emphasize the above... Upright, you damn heathens

14. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

Upright. Upright. Upright.

My personal food recommendations that haven't already been listed:

http://www.cheese-bar.com/ Awesome selection and Steve, the owner, is cool as fuck. If you want some stuff to take back to hotel or while you're bar hopping.

http://www.olympiaprovisions.com/ I'm a charcuterie whore. Killer sandos as well. The SE location is prettyl close to a bunch of tap rooms/breweries.

Digita7693, rrrjjj, litheum94 and 7 others like this.
  15. drgarage

drgarage

Since when does Pine State have a line?

And T&E is easy. Just get your name in, then get coffee to go and go for a walk until they call you. Hate to wait in line, but you don't have to be in the line.

16. almost always a line if you go at breakfast hours. personally, I recommend Gravy up in North Portland, although there will likely be a line if you show up past 9am. that goes for most breakfast/brunch spots in town, though. especially on the weekends.

17. litheum94

litheum94

Are you trolling us right now?

Make sure to get the scorpion bloody at Genie's if you go.

Edit: I know it's always fucking crazy, but I love Tin Shed for breakfast, and their Bloody Mary's are awesome.

abawol01 and NAD1983 like this.
  18. NAD1983

NAD1983

I thought I was going crazy there for a second....

I've gone into Great Notion a few times for a flight, full pour, and lunch while the line is raging. Most of the time, the same people in line are still there when we're done.

Spots not mentioned yet that I recommend with no lines for brunch:
    • Accanto
    • Podnah's Pit
    • Expatriate

19. drgarage

drgarage

I'm the crazy one, then. I've had lines at the farmers market stand but never the restaurant. I guess I've just been lucky.

Andelliotsaid, litheum94 and NAD1983 like this.
  20. falc0n2600

falc0n2600

For cocktails, Hale Pele is one of the top-rated tiki bars in the world, with a killer Zombie. Like seriously, be careful. Other great spots are Bit House Saloon for great cocktails of every genre, and Rum Club for insanely talented and quick bartenders.

The Upper Lip (above Bailey's) isn't bad either. ;)