Portland thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn. I'm going to miss this. In town Oct 23-26. Planning on going to HotD and Cascade while I'm in town. Anything else I need to check out?

For those who haven't been keeping tabs on De Garde, they have a release at the end of the month!

Vin Rougie (draft and bottles)
A wild Red Ale, based upon our recent 'Rougie.'
We culled a single barrel from the batch, and added a prodigious amount of Merlot grapes from a distinctive Southern Oregon vineyard. Intense vinous notes, with a pronounced acidity and a soft barrel character provide for a fantastic brew.
Limited to approximately 150 bottles.
7.8%abv

Lee Noir (draft and bottles)
Another wild Red Ale, this one has a smooth profile somewhat reminisce of a Flanders style Red. Extended aging in both Port and Bourbon barrels lended a rich complexity to balance the acidity. Well rounded. Delicious.
Limited to approximately 800 bottles.
8.6%abv

For those who haven't been keeping tabs on De Garde, they have a release at the end of the month!

Vin Rougie (draft and bottles)
A wild Red Ale, based upon our recent 'Rougie.'
We culled a single barrel from the batch, and added a prodigious amount of Merlot grapes from a distinctive Southern Oregon vineyard. Intense vinous notes, with a pronounced acidity and a soft barrel character provide for a fantastic brew.
Limited to approximately 150 bottles.
7.8%abv

Lee Noir (draft and bottles)
Another wild Red Ale, this one has a smooth profile somewhat reminisce of a Flanders style Red. Extended aging in both Port and Bourbon barrels lended a rich complexity to balance the acidity. Well rounded. Delicious.
Limited to approximately 800 bottles.
8.6%abv

Thinking about making the trek out to Tillamook for that one

How early would you guys advise queuing in order to get one each of the HOTD releases? Could I show up at say 9 and still have a good chance of a bottle of each?

I'm arriving in portland on Friday but not sure if I want to be spending the whole evening lining up. We are staying fairly nearby though, so perhaps it'd be worthwhile. Any advice would be welcome.

How early would you guys advise queuing in order to get one each of the HOTD releases? Could I show up at say 9 and still have a good chance of a bottle of each?

I'm arriving in portland on Friday but not sure if I want to be spending the whole evening lining up. We are staying fairly nearby though, so perhaps it'd be worthwhile. Any advice would be welcome.

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows what they are going to do yet. No on has had to deal with a HotD evening release before.

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows what they are going to do yet. No on has had to deal with a HotD evening release before.

Thanks - sounds like it might be best to leave this to you locals then :) Plenty of other awesome beers to drink in town, anyway!

They definitely keg as I've seen draft around town. Not currently on their list, but I'd suggest contacting Belmont Station for what's available. http://www.belmont-station.com/index.php?id=kegs-to-go
Yea I knew they had draft accounts. Tried a couple of their beers around town and really fell in love. Was only wondering if there was a way for someone who doesn't own a bar/growler station to procure one.

Yea I knew they had draft accounts. Tried a couple of their beers around town and really fell in love. Was only wondering if there was a way for someone who doesn't own a bar/growler station to procure one.
Oops, I can see how what I typed could be misunderstood. You can get kegs from Belmont Station in addition to draft and bottles. The link I provided is a list of the kegs they have available for sale. No HA on the list at the moment unfortunately. One of their employees is a member here on TB, but I can't remember his handle. [Edit: thanks SaltyMalty; hopstar is your man] Nice guy, really helpful, he'd be the one I'd track down.

Last edited:
Oops, I can see how what I typed could be misunderstood. You can get kegs from Belmont Station in addition to draft and bottles. The link I provided is a list of the kegs they have available for sale. No HA on the list at the moment unfortunately. One of their employees is a member here on TB, but I can't remember his handle. His real name is Chris and in other forums he goes by maltmaster420. Nice guy, really helpful, he'd be the one I'd track down.
hopstar

Just a heads up to anyone heading to Upright: their tasting room might be the hardest place to find in the entire universe. It's in the basement. Great burrs, and worth the hunt, but man. I walked around the building its in three times before I figured out you had to go into what appears to be a different business, find the elevator, and take it down to the basement. Maybe I'm just stupid, but it was a challenge.

Just a heads up to anyone heading to Upright: their tasting room might be the hardest place to find in the entire universe. It's in the basement. Great burrs, and worth the hunt, but man. I walked around the building its in three times before I figured out you had to go into what appears to be a different business, find the elevator, and take it down to the basement. Maybe I'm just stupid, but it was a challenge.

I kind of like it that way...

That being said, I did the exact same thing as you the first time I went there because they hadn't put the A-frame sign outside yet.

I'm 90% certain I'm driving up for the De Garde anniversary/keepers release in May. Before I look for a hotel, check airbnb or couchsurfing.org I figured I'd ask if any Portland TB's had a couch or a floor for me to crash on since I prefer the backpacking/couch surfing route over a hotel. I can take growlers of SARA/Bruery RS stuff/Rare Barrel growler/bottles to open up or give you as a thank you. If any out of town TB's wanna go in on a hotel/apartment that weekend I'm down too. PM me.

Hey guys, I just booked a flight to Portland from June 26-30. I didn't see a travel thread for Portland, so I figured I'd ask here about the must see spots. I'm a sucker for sours, so I plan on hitting up Cascade. I've never tried De Garde, but doubt I'll be able to get out there. Are there any spots in town that I can get it? Any other must sees? Beer/non-beer.

Also planning on hitting up that bar arcade place so I can get my 6-player X-Men action on.

Hey guys, I just booked a flight to Portland from June 26-30. I didn't see a travel thread for Portland, so I figured I'd ask here about the must see spots. I'm a sucker for sours, so I plan on hitting up Cascade. I've never tried De Garde, but doubt I'll be able to get out there. Are there any spots in town that I can get it? Any other must sees? Beer/non-beer.

Also planning on hitting up that bar arcade place so I can get my 6-player X-Men action on.

I visited a few times last summer, and I'm planning on moving there this summer. Cascade is great, as are Upright, the Commons, and Hair of the Dog, among many many others. Definitely go to Apex. Belmont Station is legit too, tons of bottles. Last time I went to Apex they had two de Garde beers on tap, Bu Weisse and Loak, and I had previously never heard of them - it was ****ing awesome. I don't think they're on all the time though. I had so many crazy sours there - 2011 Supplication, unblended 3-year-old La Folie (Love Oscar), the de Gardes that I mentioned...

going to be visiting the Cannon Beach area in August. I know some breweries to check out. But what are some must visits in those areas?

going to be visiting the Cannon Beach area in August. I know some breweries to check out. But what are some must visits in those areas?

Just down the coast to Tillamook, home of De Garde. Also home to a huge dairy factory and an xtra rad air museum. If you got a bit further down the coast, you will encounter Pelican. To the north, there is the Seaside Brewing Company, which I have heard a couple good things about, though I have no first hand experience yet. In CB specifically, there is Bill's Tavern and Brew House (and its satellite, the Ravenswood House). Lots of people will tell you their beers are nothing to get excited about, but I actually really like their blackberry pale, in contrast to most opinions. It's not amazing, but it goes great with a sunny day on the beach.

Personally, though, I think the big attraction in CB for drink is the Cannon Beach Distillery. Their rums, gins, and agave spirits are top-notch, unusual, and entirely worth revisiting. The owner/distiller Mike is super friendly and loves talking about distilling to anyone interested. They also just rekt the Judging of American Craft Spirits.

Not sure how I missed the alert on this, but to answer your question, talking Rick Allen into letting me sell a keg is impossible. I've tried on a handful of occasions, and the answer always boils down to, "I don't even have enough beer or kegs to satisfy all the bars that want it. Sorry, but no."

That said, they recently installed two more 30bbl fermenters, once of which will apparently be used solely for Pils, so I may be able to snag one down the road once they get everything up to speed.

Not sure how I missed the alert on this, but to answer your question, talking Rick Allen into letting me sell a keg is impossible. I've tried on a handful of occasions, and the answer always boils down to, "I don't even have enough beer or kegs to satisfy all the bars that want it. Sorry, but no."

That said, they recently installed two more 30bbl fermenters, once of which will apparently be used solely for Pils, so I may be able to snag one down the road once they get everything up to speed.

I visited their brewery on Zwickelmania this year. And I'm not surprised that they aren't selling kegs via dock sales. They have a pretty small operation, and as you know, really tasty beers.

In fact, during the few days I spent in Portland, I think I saw their beer on tap at only one of the dozen or so places I visited.

Figured I should put this here instead of starting another thread, but I wanted to say hi and ask a couple of questions.

My family and me just relocated to the Portland area (West Linn) from Northern CA, so I just wanted to introduce myself and see what's up. My name's Jason and I like warm hugs.

I also wanted to ask for some recommendations. Obviously, I know of all the major breweries. What I'm looking for is advice on places for growler fills and non-brewery places that have good tap lists (not gonna lie: looking for Boneyard). Bonus points for proximity to West Linn or Clackamas, extra bonus points for being family friendly (or at least where I can have a beer when I'm exploring the area with my daughter).

As far as breweries go, I'm open to suggestions for under the radar breweries to check out. Where I've been so far side moving and on previous visits:

Deschutes
Rogue
HotD
Cascade
Burnside
A couple of the billion of McMenamins
Laurelwood
Breakside

Thanks for any advice and hope to have some beer with you guys one of these days.

I know we're supposed to pretend it doesn't exist, but that other site has a pretty good running thread with this sort of info.

Also, if you're looking for Boneyard, you should definitely snag some cans of 3-Way. I'm pretty sure Fort George's only contribution to the collaboration was their brew system and canning line.

Not at all under the radar, but Upright and Gigantic are both awesome as well.
Don't forget the Commons!

I'm going to point out that none of these are particular family friendly. (Technically, Upright does allow minors, although I'm amazed that they do and it's not really what I would consider a fun environment for kids to hang out.)

Figured I should put this here instead of starting another thread, but I wanted to say hi and ask a couple of questions.

My family and me just relocated to the Portland area (West Linn) from Northern CA, so I just wanted to introduce myself and see what's up. My name's Jason and I like warm hugs.

I also wanted to ask for some recommendations. Obviously, I know of all the major breweries. What I'm looking for is advice on places for growler fills and non-brewery places that have good tap lists (not gonna lie: looking for Boneyard). Bonus points for proximity to West Linn or Clackamas, extra bonus points for being family friendly (or at least where I can have a beer when I'm exploring the area with my daughter).

As far as breweries go, I'm open to suggestions for under the radar breweries to check out. Where I've been so far side moving and on previous visits:

Deschutes
Rogue
HotD
Cascade
Burnside
A couple of the billion of McMenamins
Laurelwood
Breakside

Thanks for any advice and hope to have some beer with you guys one of these days.
Hello 32 y/o Jason from No California; it would seem we have a few things in common. Next time you're in Hillsboro, make it a point to swing by Mainbrew. They virtually always have some Boneyard available for growler fills.

Edit: Do what Kevin says above and get yourself some 3-Way. Just bought my 5th four pack dated 6-11 so this new batch is nice and fresh!

I know we're supposed to pretend it doesn't exist, but that other site has a pretty good running thread with this sort of info.

Also, if you're looking for Boneyard, you should definitely snag some cans of 3-Way. I'm pretty sure Fort George's only contribution to the collaboration was their brew system and canning line.

Hello 32 y/o Jason from No California; it would seem we have a few things in common. Next time you're in Hillsboro, make it a point to swing by Mainbrew. They virtually always have some Boneyard available for growler fills.

Edit: Do what Kevin says above and get yourself some 3-Way. Just bought my 5th four pack dated 6-11 so this new batch is nice and fresh!

I have snagged a couple of cans of that and man is it delicious. I saw that Growler Guys in PDX has it on tap. May have to pay them a visit.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Keep it coming.

I saw that Growler Guys in PDX has it on tap. May have to pay them a visit.

You should. Their selection and pricing are good, and they're good people too.

I don't know if Ecliptic Brewing is on your radar, but they're definitely worth a visit. Very good food, solid beers, and there's a "Kids" section on the menu so I assume they tick the "family friendly" box as well.

Back