Project: G(u)euze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envelopes

Reaction score
So I've spent some time getting together a of g(u)euze from each of the "big" guys. This is by no means an exhaustive list. There's some I didn't bother looking for (Mort Subite) and others I will only dream about (LP Gueuze) The only three bottles that even required trading were a De Cam and a Cantillon. They are not all from the same year. Some probably sat in a store for a long time, others were bought fresh and stored at cellar temperature. This is just a fun attempt at blindly tasting a few different bottles of my favorite style. Thanks for surlytheduff and his thread for the idea to bother posting this here. I will also have my significant other randomly choose a bottle and bring it to me. I am also no wordsmith.

On to the drinks...

Pretty low on the carbonation. Smell is subtle, a little sweet fruit but nothing identifiable. Taste is lots of orange, a hint of funk and a sharp sourness. Finish is prickly at first but slides away gracefully. As it warms the sourness builds and builds. I'm reminded of Upland's Sour Reserve. Still quite low on the funk. I'm not super impressed but it's solid enough. Guessing it's one of the "cheaper" ones. 8 out of 10.

XoslAB1.jpg

St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition (bottled June 20th 2008)! This was my first time having this one. Bought from a store in Kentucky last year. Cap was starting to rust a little bit. Can't say I would necessarily buy it over other gueuze if given the option but I'm glad that I've tried it.

Number Two:

T37bw3e.jpg

I heard an audible pop from the kitchen on this one. Tons of lively bubbles going on here. Smell has a bit of a mineral quality to it, not entirely unlike asphalt (and not unpleasant). Lots of lemon pith, sharp and acidic with a slight cheese funk. Earthy wet hay on the tail end. Finishes abruptly and definitely keeps me grabbing for more. This is really fantastic and hits all the bases for me. 9 out of 10.

gWKlbuO.jpg

De Cam Oude Geuze (bottled January 2009).
Also my first time with this one though I have had the De Cam Oude Lambiek. I was super impressed with this one and would definitely love more.

Nice. What's the full list of candidates?

I did a blind tasting awhile ago with Cantillon classic, 3F, Resurgam, Hanssens, Beat, and Rueuze. My fav (and the general consensus of the rather non-expert panel) was Hanssens.: http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/official-tasting-pictures-thread.368/page-40#post-248913

3F, 3F Golden Blend, Cantillon Classic, Hanssens, Boon Mariage Parfait, Cuvee Renee, Girardin Black, and Resurgam in addition to the two already posted.

I did something like this a couple years ago, though it wasn't done blind, which is too bad. I think we had Canty Classic, 3F OG, Cuvee Renee, Girardin Black, Boon, Boon MP, Hanssens, and Oud Beersel. The general consensus was that Cantillon was best, but it was really close between that, 3F, and Girardin. Given that we didn't do it blind, I suspect we might have put 3F or Girardin ahead if we didn't know which was which.

Also Cuvee Renee was like third from last, but half the cost of the next cheapest one and still remains an incredible steal.

Ok, so I realized that I'm doing 12 bottles and I gave the not-so-great Gueuze #1 an 8 out of 10. Would I rather drink it than some mediocre IPA? Sure. Is it one point away from the greatness that was Gueuze #2? No. So I'd like to change my rating for Gueuze #1 from an 8 to a 6.5 as I feel like this better represents the way I felt about it in relation to the other things I'm tasting along with it. This is all silly and not all that important but I felt like I had to do it.

Anyway, Gueuze #3:
Uzee4mr.jpg

The misses said she had a real time trying to get the cork out of this one but it still appeared to have some lively bubbles going on. I got a bit of that lambic-y smell from across the table. Up close there was a ton of fruits. Unripe strawberries, apricots, light & sour. Taste was very sour upfront with not much funk to speak of. As it warms a woody dryness comes out and a bit of that asphalt vibe. Finish is lots of grass and lemons. I'm disappointed in the lack of funk but it's otherwise very good. 8.5 out of 10.

wMqPAIj.jpg

Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend (bottled 2011)
I'm surprised! I guess I had hyped this up a bit in my head and expected that when I did finally open one it would blow me away. That said, it was very good, I just wish it had more of the funk factor.

Very surprised that your Golden Blend was undercarbonated. Generally they seem overcarbed. I wonder if you got a dud somehow.
Yeah usually those corks rocket across the room. Interesting result there.
The last 2 bottles I opened, I did one or two twists on the cage and it shot off.

Gueuze #4
M7pa1LW.jpg

Medium carbonation, very potent smell, hay & citrus. Taste is very fresh and light. A lot of green apples. A low to moderate sourness. Earthy and crisp finish. A bit of a well-water vibe. It's good but the flavors seem a bit muddled. 7.5 out of 10.

61uiWJN.jpg

Lindemans Cuvee Rene (February 2013)
This definitely surprised me. It was way better than I remember it being the first time I had it. Kind of funny that this one came up given the conversation about it recently in the lambic thread. It definitely made me want to go out and buy a bunch of this and see how it goes after a few years.

(Picked up a regular Boon OG to add to the mix this afternoon)

Gueuze #5
mfLHOzx.jpg

Very little carbonation. Nose is lots of sour underripe fruit with a very present mustiness (not a barnyard kind of mustiness but like old dusty wood). Taste has a dry, slightly funky vibe. More of that old wood dustiness. Sourness is on the higher end of 'medium' and almost has that chalkiness but manages to avoid it being a problem. Slight floral element, a bit of white grape, and a ton of bitter grapefruit pith on the backend. Sticks around on the tongue for a while. Aside from the carbonation issue this is very good. 8.5 out of 10.

ZGdnHlU.jpg

Allagash Coolship Resurgam (June 21st 2012)
Surprised to see it was this! I don't remember there being any carbonation issues last I had this (when it was fresh). I guess it could be a bottle variation. Definitely still had the wonderful grapefruit vibe, though. I really love this beer and it gave me a lot of respect for Allagash and their coolship project. Wish I still had a Portland hookup - my guy moved.

Gueuze #6
fHdwtTA.jpg

Another low carb gueuze! Smell is pretty fantastic, though unspecific. Something like fruit that's been sitting out in the sun for a little while. Taste is very clean, almost watery. It's very refreshing in a spring-water-cold-from-the-ground kind of way. Mineral vibe builds as it warms. Coats the mouth and has a medium sourness. It's a bit unimpressive and lacks the complexity of great gueuze. 7.5 out of 10

v3pKkHE.jpg

Cantillon Classic Gueuze (February 1st 2013)
I've always enjoyed Classic Gueuze the few times I've had it in the past but now I'm thinking I might have been blinded by the Cantillon hype (even though I was well aware Classic doesn't exactly get a lot of love). Though, the other bottles I've had were closer to two years old. Maybe this is just too fresh for me.

Fun, fun.. So much variability it seems results are never consistent. I'm constantly bouncing back and forth on my faves.

I do know one thing though, Mariage Parfait is usually sublime with 1-3 years on it. 3F is great fresh and either turns aggressively acetic with age or develops a funky cheesiness and mellows. Cantillon seems to be the most reliable in the cellar. Others I could not say..

Guezue #7:
k6MTMP5.jpg

Nice carb, very mild smell with a bit of earth and lemon. Taste is very sour, a bit sweet, almost an unripe blueberry kind of thing going on. White grapes/wine and a bit more of that earthiness with a little bitter wood. Not much in the way of cheese or horseblanket but it hints at it. Very crisp and mineral-y. Another 8.5 out of 10.

kzKFpxI.jpg

3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze (March 5th 2012)
I'm used to having this with a lot more moldy citrus and sometimes that asphalt kind of vibe! Wasn't expecting this. Very good but I feel like I'm usually more knocked out by 3F.

Gueuze #8:
WuAVko0.jpg

Lots of sweet oranges on the nose with a slight medicinal tinge. Taste is very grassy with a clean, fresh, earthy taste like a summer farmstand. Some indistinguishable fruit that leans towards the citrus. Mineral sourness that sticks to my teeth. Very dry. Aftertaste wraps up quickly. Some good things happening here but nothing blowing me out of the water. 8 out of 10.

WJnN9E5.jpg

My first time having this. It's got a lot of things that I like going on so I'd like to pick up some more and see how they do with a few more years on them. I could see this really being a favorite if the earthier/funkier side kicked in a bit over time.

great thread. i prefer gueuze aged, specifically cantillon. i think ages changes so much, but so does vintage. hanssans is vastly underrated IMO

edit: a prime example is fonteinen 2010. easily one of my fav vintages ever but when i opened one on the 4th, it was a bit in a bad place. still good but lacking. gueuze can go through weird periods.

Last edited:
Gueuze #8:
WuAVko0.jpg

Lots of sweet oranges on the nose with a slight medicinal tinge. Taste is very grassy with a clean, fresh, earthy taste like a summer farmstand. Some indistinguishable fruit that leans towards the citrus. Mineral sourness that sticks to my teeth. Very dry. Aftertaste wraps up quickly. Some good things happening here but nothing blowing me out of the water. 8 out of 10.

WJnN9E5.jpg

My first time having this. It's got a lot of things that I like going on so I'd like to pick up some more and see how they do with a few more years on them. I could see this really being a favorite if the earthier/funkier side kicked in a bit over time.
I've always said that Girardin Black Label is the best gueuze for the price, and my favorite right behind aged 3 Fonteinen gueuze.

Gueuze #9:
rG3CtRM.jpg

Heavy mineral taste. Not much of that asphalt-y vibe but it definitely has a washed rocks kind of thing going on. A lot of white grapefruit pith, grapes & a little bit of cherry. Long, dry finish with a slight sweet tart vibe (that I'm typically not into) though it's not offensive. A little bit of a wine vibe but nothing distinguishable or overly present. A nice dried herbs kind of thing going on in the aftertaste. Low (if any) funk, unfortunately. Solid but wishing it had more funk. A solid 8.5

IBKBghk.jpg

Boon Mariage Parfait Geuze 2008 (Bottled 2011)
I'm excited at how much I enjoyed this because it's about the only gueuze on the shelf these days and I've been buying a few to lay down. Nothing crazy good but I'm excited to see where these end up in a few years and I'm definitely not going to stop buying them.

By the way, here's the current rankings:
1. De Cam Oude Geuze (2009)
2. Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend (2011)
3. Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze (2012)
4. Allagash Resurgam (2012)
5. Boon Mariage Parfait Geuze (2011)
6. Girardin Oude Gueuze Black (2013)
7. Lindemans Cuvee Rene (2013)
8. Cantillon Classic Gueuze (2013)
9. St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition (2008)

Gueuze #9:
rG3CtRM.jpg

Heavy mineral taste. Not much of that asphalt-y vibe but it definitely has a washed rocks kind of thing going on. A lot of white grapefruit pith, grapes & a little bit of cherry. Long, dry finish with a slight sweet tart vibe (that I'm typically not into) though it's not offensive. A little bit of a wine vibe but nothing distinguishable or overly present. A nice dried herbs kind of thing going on in the aftertaste. Low (if any) funk, unfortunately. Solid but wishing it had more funk. A solid 8.5

IBKBghk.jpg

Boon Mariage Parfait Geuze 2008 (Bottled 2011)
I'm excited at how much I enjoyed this because it's about the only gueuze on the shelf these days and I've been buying a few to lay down. Nothing crazy good but I'm excited to see where these end up in a few years and I'm definitely not going to stop buying them.

By the way, here's the current rankings:
1. De Cam Oude Geuze (2009)
2. Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend (2011)
3. Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze (2012)
4. Allagash Resurgam (2012)
5. Boon Mariage Parfait Geuze (2011)
6. Girardin Oude Gueuze Black (2013)
7. Lindemans Cuvee Rene (2013)
8. Cantillon Classic Gueuze (2013)
9. St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition (2008)
Cantillon at 8. Does not compute, does not compute

totally kidding, not only have is their age issues, but also bottle variation. I have had cantillon gueuze that i was amazed by and some that was only ok. their fruited lambics is where its at

excluding 2013 which saw some major bottle variation. the lamvinus i had was down right horrid. bought at the site too.

Back