Proposed Changes to FOBAB in 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahnatenelson

Reaction score
So here I am, listening to the newest BeerDownload podcast when Steve begins recounting a recent conversation he had with Justin Maynard, Executive Director of the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild, on the proposed changes to FOBAB in 2014.

You can cut to 9:00 in the podcast, but here are the particulars:
  • Venue to move to the UIC Pavilion
  • Four public sessions over three days: Friday evening, two Saturday and a Sunday early session
  • 1300+ tickets available for each session, versus 1000-1200 per session in 2013

I, for one, do not like the idea of multiple sessions over a few days. I think the multiple days would really discourage smaller breweries/brewers from bring unique items due to the amount of beer they'd have to bring. Some batches are test batches brewed specifically for FoBAB and I'm sure they don't brew enough to bring double the amount of beer (be it kegs or bottles).

It would be nice to have it in a larger venue mainly to counteract the neckbeard farts, but I don't like the increase in tickets. Just because there is more space doesn't mean you need to fill it with more people.

I think the multiple days would really discourage smaller breweries/brewers from bring unique items due to the amount of beer they'd have to bring.

I'd venture to guess that the volume requirements will be lightened. As Steve metions in the podcast, there's a LOT of beer left over at the end of every FOBAB. Sure, there will be beers that kick within 30min of the sesison starting, but for the most part there is excess of most of the beers in the festival. There may not be more required of each brewery to stretch the event into two more sessions.

My thoughts on that:

-I hope they bring in some good breweries this year again, because Side Project and Off Color were the only interesting breweries there this year and many of the usuals have seemed to drop out
-I hope volume restrictions go back to what they were
-This is gonna increase the bro factor ten fold
-Sounds awful

I'd venture to guess that the volume requirements will be lightened. As Steve metions in the podcast, there's a LOT of beer left over at the end of every FOBAB. Sure, there will be beers that kick within 30min of the sesison starting, but for the most part there is excess of most of the beers in the festival. There may not be more required of each brewery to stretch the event into two more sessions.

I didn't listen to the podcast yet so good know about the leftover beer. I'm sure there is a lot, but enough to warrant two more 1,300 per person sessions? Maybe, maybe not.

any change that will allow more people to comfortably attend the event would be a good thing, considering the explosive growth in craft.

My thoughts on that:

-I hope they bring in some good breweries this year again, because Side Project and Off Color were the only interesting breweries there this year and many of the usuals have seemed to drop out
-I hope volume restrictions go back to what they were
-This is gonna increase the bro factor ten fold
-Sounds awful

Can't wait for you to move to suburban Atlanta and angrily blog about how nobody appreciates beer the right way.

fonziejumpsshark3sl.gif

i could barely stand up after fobab this year. i couldn't imagine someone wanting to actually attend multiple sessions, especially if two of those sessions are on the same day...
I was mostly joking, but I do know a few people that did both sessions of FOBAB last year.

I wonder what Justin will 'propose' to not let me buy presale tickets this year as a paying Imboob member.

Back