Proxy etiquette

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Help' started by sharpski, Jun 6, 2018.

1. sharpski

sharpski

I know proxying is a grey area, but I think trading etiquette is the most relevant approximation so I hope y'all can help me out.

Dave is a member of a beer club far away from him, so he asks Bob to be a proxy on his behalf. Bob picks up the bottles as arranged, and Dave sends a shipping label. Bob packs the bottles and ships to Dave. Some of the bottles are damaged in transit and are returned to Bob (Dave's shipping label didn't specify an alcohol shipment, so the carrier returns the package vs. delivering to Dave). Should Bob replace the bottles (if that's even possible) and/or pay for the 2nd attempt at shipping? I know what the answers would be if it were a straight-up trade, but does the proxy situation change that?

Photekut likes this.
  2. tosh

tosh

If Bob packed stuff okay it is all on Dave.

That said if I am Bob I am doing my best to replace stuff. But i am not sure I am paying for shipping.

End of day, i think me and the people I send to would muddle it out without the need to start a thread about it.

Someone once said communication was the key....it is.

gregkoko, KevSal, JBoogie and 8 others like this.
  3. libbey

libbey

As someone who has proxied I wouldn’t want to assume any of the risk of beers that where sent. Granted my proxies are giving me styrofoam shippers to ship with but if something was to happen in transit I wouldn’t be looking to assume any costs. I’m all ready picking up your beers and packing and shipping them for you as a favor.

I also don’t expect anything for those I’ve proxied for. It’s a favor I’ve done for friends. The majority of which I’ve swapped suds with so much over the years that if something happened to the box I would probably include a couple of soothing beer of tasty to help ease the pain of their suffering on their end.

But in the end it’s their risk. I’m just a helping hand.

4. sharpski

sharpski

Bob used a styro shipper, so he feels pretty confident it was a decent packing job. He just wishes he'd wrapped a garbage bag around the shipper so it got to its destination. Agreed about communication preventing the need for a thread like this, but that requires both Bob AND Dave's participation.

jmgrub, KevSal, JBoogie and 2 others like this.
  5. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

I'm more curious as to how the hell bottles got damaged in a styro. Those things can take some serious beating.

GetchaPull, KevSal, JBoogie and 3 others like this.
  6. sharpski

sharpski

Fedex returned the survivors in a different box, so I Bob can't be sure, but it was more likely cork/bottle failure than impact damage. The corks are pretty legendarily stout, but mixed fermentation can lead to high pressure.

jmgrub likes this.
  7. Podunkparte

Podunkparte

Dave has to assume some risk in a hobby that requires this transaction. Sorry Dave, a couple of your bottles won't be arriving. Doesn't sound like Bob's fault so suck it up and take the sunken cost and chalk it up to shit happens.

8. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985

This is the correct answer.

FoudreGuy, jmgrub, Marc and 3 others like this.
  9. jvanaus

jvanaus

Personal experience: JBoogie is my trustee for Cigar City. I sent him a few 12 shippers a while back and he uses those once there are 12 bottles to ship, then I send him a label. If any of those bottles are damaged, it was at my request he use the shipper and it's my label, so that's the risk I take and absolutely would not hold him liable for any replacement bottles.

If your Bob's friend supplied the label, did he put himself as the "to" and the "from" address? IIRC, the shipping company would have no choice but to deliver to the only address on the label unless they're tracking the exact place the box was picked up. Sounds like Dave fucked up with the label.

10. sharpski

sharpski

Dave used Bob's home address as the "from" address; Fed Ex called Bob to come pick up the package at the nearby station rather than deliver to Bob's home.

jmgrub, KevSal and jvanaus like this.
  11. The Ryan

The Ryan

Bob sounds like a good-natured man with great work ethic, but does he suffer from multiple phobias? Also, is he divorced because his ex-wife likes Neil Diamond?

Tlo4sho, tbub18, jmgrub and 6 others like this.
  12. sharpski

sharpski

Get out of Bob’s head!

13. JBoogie

JBoogie

As long as the pack job is solid there should be an understanding from Dave....er...Bob....whoever the fuck is getting the bottles!...before going into this whole agreement that even when packed correctly there are several variables/unexpected elements that can still cause a faulty shipment. As jvanaus pointed out...when you ask someone to proxy you should go into it expecting some bad shit could happen and be prepared to potentially eat a loss at some point.

Having said that...me personally if I ship something and I know I packed it right I will still feel obligated to send some other stuff to make up for it. Regardless of fault, it sucks and someone who was supposed to get beer didn’t. So I’ll try to help fix that. I also send jvanaus a picture of his shipper when I’ve packed it to get his approval. That gives him the opportunity to let me know if he thinks the pack job is good or if it needs more attention. At the end of the day, as tosh said I think communication is paramount and can solve most of these situations amicably.

ExPimp, sharpski, KevSal and 3 others like this.
  14. BadJustin

BadJustin

This. If I lost a de Garde box of club beers, I wouldn't even think of obligating my proxy to send more and personally, he is not obligated to. It's an assumed risk when shipping beer across country, I know it sucks but it is what it is.

gregkoko, jvanaus, Marc and 6 others like this.
  15. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    ASUBeer, GetchaPull, iong516 and 6 others like this.
  16. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike

I picked up a really useful phrase down south years ago. It’s a great catch-all if you agree to help someone do something risky/stupid/illegal/morally questionable, and then they ask you for advice in the middle of it.

“You’re fuckin’ this fish, I’m just holding the tail.”

ASUBeer, GetchaPull, Padraig and 17 others like this.
  17. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

I've had A̶l̶e̶ ̶A̶p̶o̶t̶h̶e̶c̶a̶r̶y̶ random corks pop off during the winter in my below grade garage, so it's not that shocking.

sharpski likes this.