Quebec gems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montrealbcr89

Reaction score
Looking for some Quebec TBers @oldport, seblp , bloguedebieres and others to chime and give shout outs to some of their favourite QC brews. Hoping this will help get some of the QC breweries on the map. I'll start:

Dieu Du Ciel! Moralite
Le Castor Yakima IPA

I'm no Quebec beer expert but thanks to a couple of awesome trades I've had the pleasure of exploring a bit of it recently.

I'm in agreement with you on Yakima IPA - it is phenomenal. I try and get a couple of those whenever I can... which certainly isn't often, but they are great for filling up the last spots in shippers. I'd take it over heady, fathead, and most west coast IPAs if I had the chance.

I was also amazed by how good LTM's Grand Cuvee Baltic Porter was. And Dunham brewing is doing some very exciting things with Saisons from the few I've tried.

Paging tom10101 to this thread (also tagging oldp0rt too).

There's a couple of amazing beers brewed in Québec.

My favorite are:

- Dunham Assemblage #1: A Sour Saison who can held up against any US beers of a similar style. Probably my favorite beer ever produced in Québec.

- L'Albion Bitter (draft only): A world-class Bitter. On cask, it's stunning. The most refreshing/drinkable beer from Québec. Their Mild Ale (Chiniquy) is great too.

- Some of the barrel-aged from Le Trou du Diable... La Bretteuse Fût de Syrah / Dulcis Succubus / Buteuse Brassin Spécial / L'Ours / Volo 25th: All of these are extremely well crafted and unique.

- Le Castor Yakima: A world-class IPA. Not too bitter. Dangerously drinkable.

- Benelux Grande Armada Réserve batch #1: It's not as good as it was when released, but still extremely complex and very tasty. Batch #2 is awful though.

- Some Dieu du Ciel classics: Péché Mortel, Solstice d'Été aux Framboises, Péché Mortel Bourbon (depending of the year) and Solstice d'Hiver bourbon.

- Dunham Saison: Saison Réserve, Propolis, Saison Framboise Zinfandel

And, even though it's not beer, we have the chance to have the best Ice Cider producer in the whole world... La Face Cachée de la Pomme. Neige Récolte d'Hiver and Neige Noir are out of this world (very expensive, but they worth every penny). The more affordable Neige Réserve and Neige Première are great too.

^how difficult are the Dunham saisons to find? They sound right up my alley.

Also, ice cider is my new love...

The Dunham Saisons are kind of seasonal. They're sold at a couple stores around MTL. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone. I'm guessing some are brewery only?

On the Solstice d'ete front, Solstice d'ete aux prunes (tap only) was absolutely delicious and I would love to see that bottled!

LTM Gose is a good example of the style and should be re-released this summer.
St-Ambroise Stout is one of my favorites non-imperial stout.
Pit Caribou Tennessee No.13 is good too!

The Dunham Saisons are kind of seasonal. They're sold at a couple stores around MTL. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone. I'm guessing some are brewery only?
You're right, some stores sell the saisons but they never stay on the shelves for a long time and they're not there often, and I think some more limited saisons/blends are brewery release only.

Frank : Assemblage #1 was brewery only (even though some bottle shop went to the release party and brought back some bottles to sell) and it was a while ago so it's really hard to find at the moment. Assemblage #2 should be released in a not too distant future.

The others, as stated above, are seasonal. Saison Réserve and Saison Framboise Zinfandel can be somewhat hard to find, but if you want some let me know and I will pick them for you when they are released. Propolis is usually easy to find when released and is the cheaper (7-10$/750 ml if I remember correctly... the others are 10-15$ depending of the store).

LTM Gose is great addition, Seb.
DDC Saison St Louis is good stuff, too.
Anyone here had Solstice d'ete aux mangues?

My Saison Reserve bottle was dead flat last time. Looking forward to it being released and hopefully carbonated next time. My luck with Dunham bottles being off has not been too great unfortunately.

Also, Pinot Noir Derniere Volonte...without a doubt my favourite DDC offering.

My Saison Reserve bottle was dead flat last time. Looking forward to it being released and hopefully carbonated next time. My luck with Dunham bottles being off has not been too great unfortunately.

Also, Pinot Noir Derniere Volonte...without a doubt my favourite DDC offering.
I got 1 left. PM me your address and it's coming your way

Which quality QC brewery (other than Archibald (sp?) is going to be the first to can?
Jonathan - looking to hear from you, too!

Which quality QC brewery (other than Archibald (sp?) is going to be the first to can?
Jonathan - looking to hear from you, too!
A lot of breweries out here need to focus on brewing good, consistent beers before they worry about doing anything else such as canning.

I sure could pound some DDC cans though if that could happen.

A lot of breweries out here need to focus on brewing good, consistent beers before they worry about doing anything else such as canning.
It's true, but the same applies to a lot of breweries all over the world, especially the new ones. There's a lot of breweries that brew a lot of average beers and one world class beer...
To answer the question, I'd say the next to can will be a big one who can afford to buy the expensive canning line or a smaller brewery who wants to can their IPA like Le Castor.

I sure could pound some DDC cans though if that could happen.

Agree with this. Too many QC breweries are trying to do crazy stuff instead of making a few really good, simple beers. There are far too few really good IPAs in bottles in QC. And FAR too many "belgian strong dark" beers, etc.
Yakima IPA in cans would be ridiculous, though!

Watching this thread as I was blown away by the selection of brews at Peluso. Tonnes of breweries I was unfamiliar with.
Bring forth more recommendations. ;)

Jon is right. There is a lot to sift through. However, there are s handful of breweries like Dunham, TDD, LTM, Le Castor that I feel safe trying all there stuff. It may not all be stellar, but they're working in the right direction.

Exactly why I'm watching this thread.... need input.
Not sure I'm hitting a shop next time I am in town. Rather hang out with TB'ers and bring some of my own swill.
I put up a little list of quebec breweries to avoid on my profile. If it's not on there, chances are you're good to go. (or it's new :p)

FYq7M.gif

Coming up to Montreal from nyc folks. Looking for ip trades for loons. Look at the other site for my cellar and i also can get any ny distro beer. Cheers
Lets go habs

Quick question figure this thread is good enough to post does Du Ciel's Berliner make it to the states? I was under the impression that it didn't.

Quick question figure this thread is good enough to post does Du Ciel's Berliner make it to the states? I was under the impression that it didn't.
I've heard a beer store in CA was selling some Raspberry Solstice d'été in July but I don't know how they got it and if DDC shipped a lot of it to the States...

ok I had a friend in central NY bought some and was surprised to see that so I wonder if it was legally brought in or not, lol.

I guess it's still on the shelves there too...
A friend of mine working at DDC was so puzzled about the fact that the western part of Canada got some Solstice that he had to double check internally. So Solstice could have landed in Nepal and I wouldn't be surprised too much.

Back