Quick trip to NYC area. Help from locals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab111

Reaction score
So I'll be coming into NYC on a Tuesday and leaving on a Friday.. Just a quick trip to visit a friend who moved out there a year ago and to bring him a ton of his upland sours he has been having me buy back home.

(staying in crown heights but will be traveling to manhattan and red hook and greenwhich village area for food.. But can go other places as well)

I know prices are alot higher than they would be in Indiana but don't want the most expensive place. Not looking for cool vintage bottles necessarily.. Just some. Good drafts.. Maybe some HF(seen them pop up on a couple of reviews) or just some good beer like praire bomb,bcs or good local beers. Prob somewhere with good variety of beers on tap.

I'm staying in the Brooklyn area but we are going all over the city so doesn't really matter where it is.

So here is my list after looking at reviews.

1. Bling tiger
2.Proletariat
3. The well
4. Fools gold
5.Hops hill
6.The owl farm bar

Are any of these breweries worth checking out?

1. Other half brewing
2. Green point beer and ale
3. Brooklyn brewery

Thanks for any advice you can give me as we can prob only hit 2-3 of these during our trip so would love to narrow it down to a couple.

Last edited:
Proletariat is good but expensive. Blind Tiger is hit or miss taplist wise. Well is solid as has a great outdoor space. Can't go wrong with Fools Gold or Hops Hill. As/Is has slowly become my favorite beer bar in Manhattan.

Other Half is definitely a spot to hit. Would also recommend Folksbier, Interboro, and LIC Beer Project.

Enjoy the trip!

Use Beermenus.com to find HF around town. Its usually not too hard to find 3 - 4 different varieties of HF on tap around Brooklyn and Manhattan. Beermenus is very helpful and frequently updated in NYC.

Fool's gold will almost certainly have HF on tap...they have at times had 3-4 different HF taps, but as MikeG said beermenus is your friend for that. I always suggest Fool's because you can also hit One Mile House (another fantastic beer bar) and top hops (bar but mostly a bottle shop) for anyway takeaway needs. Those 3 are all a 5-10 minute walk from each other which makes it a very efficient way to get a whole lot of good beer in NYC. In terms of breweries I'd suggest going to Threes. They make very solid stuff and have a "friends" taplist as well that has all the usual NYC suspects as well as Suarez from the Hudson Valley and HF from time to time. Also serve very solid food, and is a ~15 minute walk to Other Half (which is close to Folksbier). One "major" (i.e. popular for out of town visitors) spot I haven't seen listed is Torst...it's certainly expensive but the food is quite good and I have always enjoyed my visits there.

Assuming you'll also be eating on this trip, I'd suggest Lupulo in Manhattan. Very good restaurant that has ~15 VERY solid taps at times including HF (a bit pricey but nothing outrageous for Manhattan).

If you're committed to that original list of bars then you might as well cross the street and walk halfway down the block to Augers Well and you're going to drunkenly get a hot dog at Crif Dogs and it will be the correct decision and Jimmy's 43 is about a block and a half away. You can walk to Fools Gold from there and I recommend cocktails at Death & Co(which will involve giving your phone number at the door and waiting for them to call you when a table or spot at the bar is ready) so while you wait go to Amor Y Amargo, which is basically a bitters/cocktail equipment store that also makes great drinks, and Mother of Pearl next door for tiki drinks. The lower east side is an embarrassment of riches. Good Beer, Barcade St Marks, Coopers Craft, dba, Spitzers Corner, Top Hops... These are all in very reasonable walking distance.

If you're getting out to Brooklyn you can't pass on Torst. Brooklyn Brewery is nostalgic and Mugs Ale House is just a few blocks away and a stop at Vinnie's Pizza is a must. You can order a pizza inside a box made of pizza or a pizza where mini slices of pizza are the topping. Plus the pizza is great.

KCBC is the hidden gem brewery in the city IMHO and Interboro, Threes, and Finback are both worth a visit, though Finback is far. You can definitely skip Greenpoint beer and ale.

You're not going to get to 10% of these places if you try to go to all of them. Pick a neighborhood and just do it up. Don't worry about FOMO

Doing this trip in April with wife and kids. Any further suggestions? How was staying in Brooklyn? Ok to get out and do touristy stuff?

Latest posts

Back