Random Beer Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Beer Topics' started by JulianB, Oct 17, 2014.

1. JulianB

JulianB

I figured we could have a thread for things which aren't interesting enough to warrant their own thread but also not irreverent or amusing enough for the true Random Thoughts thread.

Anyone else not very impressed with the direction Sierra Nevada has been going lately? I'm mostly referring to their seasonal releases and mixed packs, where it feels like they are getting lazier and lazier. Today I saw the new "Winter Snowpack" seasonal variety pack at my local store. It's a case that contains 4 each of Coffee Stout (cool, I'd like to try this), Boomerang IPA (IPA with New Zealand hops, sounds fine but it's yet another IPA from Sierra), and two of their regular shelf beers, Porter and Pale Ale. How do you fill half a seasonal pack with year-round beers, including one that's your flagship and available in half the gas stations in the country? This started in the fall where that variety pack had Pale as well. Not to mention the 6-pack seasonals are getting more boring and I'd argue worse (Ruthless Rye has gotten worse each year, and Flipside is totally bleh and replaced Tumbler which, while not great, was at least something different).

jivex5k, Rau71 and thebandit1 like this.
  2. stupac2

stupac2

3. drbenzo

drbenzo

4. stupac2

stupac2

5. regularjohn

regularjohn

the snozzberries taste like snozzberries

jivex5k likes this.
  6. Sage

Sage

jivex5k, luwak, buzzword and 4 others like this.
  7. drbenzo

drbenzo

Da fuq is paywalled?

jivex5k, PurityControl88 and FTowne like this.
  8. JulianB

JulianB

jivex5k, Sage and drbenzo like this.
  9. BadJustin

BadJustin

Pay to play, interpret as your mind sees fit. ;)

jivex5k and PurityControl88 like this.
  10. drbenzo

drbenzo

This year's version is equally memorable — and will be equally hard to come by — with an ingredient lineup so wide that Siegel joked it should be called "BCS Massive Carbon Footprint" — cassia bark from Vietnam, cocoa nibs from Congo, coconut water from Thailand and Mexican panela sugar.

The base beer is a tweaked version of Bourbon County Stout, brewed with the addition of rye. The initial idea was a cassia bark (cinnamon, essentially) and cocoa nib BCS aged in rye whiskey barrels. But the result was slightly astringent, leading Goose to make a syrup of coconut water and Mexican sugar that was added as a final step.

jivex5k, sacrelicio, buzzword and 3 others like this.
  11. drbenzo

drbenzo

It opened fine on my phone

jivex5k likes this.
  12. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

In heaven do they serve Hill Farmstead or Schramms Mead?

jivex5k and richardflyr like this.
  13. drbenzo

drbenzo

There is no heaven

jivex5k, harrymel and Rau71 like this.
  14. claaark13

claaark13

15. voldemortadella

voldemortadella

I have what might be a stupid question...
    Why aren't there any green apple sours/wilds? Is that not something that would be appealing to people? I personally would drink the shit out of something that resembled a green apple Jolly Rancher. Or am I just ignorant to the fact that such beers already exist?

domtronzero and FTowne like this.
  16. LukeAleTime

LukeAleTime

I'm with you on this. I'll defend them to the death for what they've done over the years.. but it's hard to get excited by a stream of something-IPAs

PurityControl88 likes this.
  17. Etan

Etan

Seems like apples would be a hard fruit to age beer with. The flesh of the fruit is very rigid and prone to oxidation, unlike soft stone fruits, grapes, berries, etc...You could always use juice or puree but traditional fruit lambics tend to be aged on whole fruit...Maybe an AWA would work.

18. Kirkse

Kirkse

Actually, just tonight I had a taste of Cigar City's Fight the Power Sour Cider... tasted just like green apple Jolly Ranchers. Not what I was in the mood for so I didn't actually order it, but it might me the kind of thing you are looking for.

BeerRookie likes this.
  19. voldemortadella

voldemortadella

Good to know. Thanks a lot for the info, as I don't know too much about brewing.

Thanks for the suggestion!

20. Treebs

Treebs

Revolution Unsessionable is the best double digit ABV DIPA on the market right now. Real talk.

Beer52, luwak, Hopping Tiger and 2 others like this.