Random Brewing Thoughts

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by Snarf, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Phischy

Phischy

I put mine in milk cartons to move them around. Same with carboys.

Five28 hz and Beerontwowheels like this.
  2. hornydevil

hornydevil

Indeed.

Get sick of posting brewing rig pics on AW yet? ;)

3. Phischy

Phischy

You know it's down for repairs and upgrades!

hornydevil likes this.
  4. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Keg, picnic tap, and a short length of plastic tubing. That's how I do mine. I just add the bottling sugar and beer to a purged keg. Give it a good mix and use 3 PSI or whatever it takes to push it out. Works great.

5. JCastle

JCastle

Tell me more about this! I have to bottle 20 gallons soon and not looking forward to it. Can't believe this hadn't occurred to me before.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Sure does, that's why I havent used a bucket in forever, but need new cobra tap etc.

procrastimated until

7. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

Basically those instruction. But instead of a carbonated keg, just rack your un-carbed beer, bottling sugar, and any bottling yeast to a keg. Then fill bottles.

8. jivex5k

jivex5k

I'm about ready for a keg setup, finally motivated myself to bottle today. I've been sticking to 22oz or bigger to make it more tolerable lately.

[​IMG]

9. Phischy

Phischy

Your paper towel situation is much more dire.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Anyone let a mixed ferment beer sit so long it 'died' for lack of a better term?

I expected fairly quick takeoff on the saison I put on grapes, but nothing. I've had some slow starts with old beer, but it has been a couple weeks now.

I guess it might be fermenting so slowly as to not be visibly evident, particularly as the beer is dead flat, but if that were the case I'd think the fruit would form a cap or at least make the carboy look like a bottle of Orbitz, but it is all on the bottom still.

Beerontwowheels and FTowne like this.
  11. FTowne

FTowne

How long did it ferment for before you put it on the fruit?

12. Snarf

Snarf

Year and a half maybe? Hadn't looked in a couple days and it actually has a few little bubbles around the top today.:oops:

FTowne and pdurrrr like this.
  13. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Low pH and a year old, that yeast and bacteria is going to be on the struggle bus. Brett is always slow AF to kick back up anyway. I'd say watch it. If nothing sees to happens, make a small starter of with dregs or what ever yeast you used.

14. Snarf

Snarf

I don't think time and pH is the sole factor here. I've done plenty of refermentations of old, acidic beer before without such lengthy lag time, which is why I thought this was odd enough to mention. There is no way I would add any sort of additional microbes to the beer at this point, even if it failed to referment. I doubt they'd do much of anything if it is in fact a low pH situation that is the cause of the delay. I've had more acidic beer lag less, though.

15. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

You can add a portion of your beer to your base starter medium to acclimate the new yeast and bacteria to the low pH environment.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Saccharomyces#Fermentation_Under_Low_pH_Conditions
    http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Packaging#Acid_Shock_Starters

16. Snarf

Snarf

Considering that's the 'Upland technique' I think the better plan is to make less acidic beer if you need to acclimatize your bottling strain to it.

If your beer will kill wine yeast, it probably doesn't taste good.

JulianB, Evahflow, Thorpe429 and 5 others like this.
  17. FTowne

FTowne

Next time you do a mixed ferment beer just bottle it up after a month or so and call it a "New World Sour".

18. hornydevil

hornydevil

Do you know about terminal acid shock? If you don't, you should read up on it.

Really? That's uninformed in so many ways.

TripleSixHoppia likes this.
  19. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

I wouldn't be concerned with ph because the microbes in the beer have acclimated to that environment for the past year and a half--unless the ph has dropped ridiculously low. The issue is likely just lazy yeast plus the fruit. If the fruit went in whole it may take a little time to swell, burst and make for an easy food source for brett and friends.

20. hornydevil

hornydevil

Depends which microbes are more active at the time of bottling. After a certain period of time, your sacch. might not be very viable and your brett may take a longer time to carbonate. If you're looking for consistency, reyeasting with fresh sacch. is the way to go. If you don't mind waiting, using the microbes that you fermented with will usually do just fine.

If yeast are "lazy" there is a reason and the old yarn about doing things to break cell walls in fruit is a bit more than a little exaggerated.

TripleSixHoppia likes this.