Random Brewing Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snarf1

Reaction score
I like the random thoughts thread, I like the brewing forum (and everyone likes gifs) so:
8232.gif

I don't know why I've never mixed Nelson and Mosaic together before, but it's money.

Why did it take me so long to stop making beers I can buy for $8/sixer and start making sours that would set me back $10-$20 per bottle?

Why is the wind calm until the very moment I fire up the burner to brew?

Why did it take me so long to stop making beers I can buy for $8/sixer and start making sours that would set me back $10-$20 per bottle?

Why is the wind calm until the very moment I fire up the burner to brew?

Gotta have that windshield.

I started doing mixed ferment saison by my 10th brew. I've been 'saving' tons of money ever since...

I think like a lot of people the thought of moving to sours was initially intimidating. However, they're easy and fun, although they do require a bit more patience. Now I embrace the fact that all of my gear is "tainted" by lacto/pedio/brett etc.

I think like a lot of people the thought of moving to sours was initially intimidating. However, they're easy and fun, although they do require a bit more patience. Now I embrace the fact that all of my gear is "tainted" by lacto/pedio/brett etc.

Unless you suck at sanitation, your gear should be clean. I still make IPAs, lagers, and whatever with just sacc using all the same gear.

Unless you suck at sanitation, your gear should be clean. I still make IPAs, lagers, and whatever with just sacc using all the same gear.
I'd like to think that's not the case. Everything still gets pbw and sanitized as usual. Aside from sours mostly into saisons, farmhouse, etc. I don't think there would be an issue with some lacto or brett sneaking in.

Why haven't I made a Saison with Nelson Sauvin and called it Nelson Saison yet?

Batman-Chin-Rub.gif
Is that kinda like saying you should brew a low alcohol ipa and call it a session ipa?

Cant tell if serious or trolloling along

Is that kinda like saying you should brew a low alcohol ipa and call it a session ipa?

Cant tell if serious or trolloling along

Took me a little while too, I think he was playing off the fact that "saison" could sound like "sauvin" depending on how you pronounce "sauvin".

I personally made an ESB bittered with English Admiral and then Nelson Sauvin later in the boil to create "Admiral Nelson ESB". I quite liked it.

Why is it that when I'm trying to finish editing my publication on the regulation of Ras and Rap GTPase signaling and α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid receptor trafficking in the hippocampal formation by the GTPase activating protein synGAP, all I can think about is what beer I'm going to brew next?

I just got the dirtiest damn barrel ever and have none of the stuff I need to start cleaning it. At least I'm consistently uprepared for everything. One head is from a heaven hollow barrel, the other is from barton. After bourbon, it aged rum, then tequila, and I got it from a guy who fermented an ipa it with WLP099 (don't ask). If nothing ese, it will be good practice popping a head and manually cleaning. Plan is to follow that with precarbonate rinse and then fill with citric/potassium meta solution to store / examin severity of leaks. Get to use a larger system for this one, so probably three 18 gallon batches. Have (mostly?) all the grain and enough fermentor space, just need to find the time.

Same, I've mixed up equipment a few times and also have everything (sours/mixed fermentation beers and clean beers) in the same room. Haven't had one infection in a non-sour beer yet in almost two years of doing that.

I just have a small 8 gallon barrel. I got two clean batches of it: a Big Bad Baptist clone-ish type imperial stout that took 3rd place this weekend in a homebrew comp, and a barleywine that's bottle conditioning right now (to clarify: the coffee for the stout never went in the barrel, it was added afterwards). Now I've got a blend of some sours in there and figure that I can get some decent mileage out of aging sour beers in it. The woodiness has decreased considerably after being used for those first batches.

Got the trub and hops rinsed out of barrel and it's soaking in a mild pre carbonate (generic oxyclean free) solution overnight. Rinse and fill with acid/sulphur tomorrow. Brewing next week, should be ready to fill in about three weeks.

Why on earth did I use the wine thief I use to get hydrogen peroxide down the dog's throats (I have Corgis, little ****ers eat bad ****, including chocolate, birth control pills, tambark, doorstops, poop, etc. and need to barf it out) to take a hydrometer sample from my oatmeal stout?! I now have a ****ing pellicle on top of it 7 days later. Time to buy new wine thiefs.

Why on earth did I use the wine thief I use to get hydrogen peroxide down the dog's throats (I have Corgis, little ****ers eat bad ****, including chocolate, birth control pills, tambark, doorstops, poop, etc. and need to barf it out) to take a hydrometer sample from my oatmeal stout?! I now have a ****ing pellicle on top of it 7 days later. Time to buy new wine thiefs.

34/70 is a martha floccin beast. Took a taste of my last batch of bier de noel since I'm planning to brew a bunch to fill my new barrel. I guess I hadn't done the math for abv, but it started at 1.100 and I added 3 lbs of turbinado to 5 gallons in the fermentor, for an approximate OG of 1.136. Finished at 1.022. So almost 15%. With lager yeast.
tumblr_mr83plO4Np1rfn0yto1_500.gif

Now I just need to brew another 60 gallons of it and add as many De Dolle reserva dregs as I can afford to drink in one day.

just bought another chest freezer...
wondering if i should get a dual body regulator for my co2 tank...or just buy 2 more tanks.

pick up these bad boys for two small 3 gal batches of cider

frUEnFK.jpg

I'm interested to see how the Saison yeast will work. Science!
I did my first cider with a saison yeast and it ended up tasting pretttttttttty terrible. But then I added bugs over the course of a year and it turned out super tasty. I'm curious how yours turns out so keep us in the loop!

pick up these bad boys for two small 3 gal batches of cider

frUEnFK.jpg

I'm interested to see how the Saison yeast will work. Science!
Used the 568 in a table saison a couple months ago. Should be juuust about time to sample a bottle this week. Among the three saison yeasts I tried this summer (670 and 585 being the others), 568 smelled the best at bottling.

Back