Random Brewing Thoughts

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by Snarf, Sep 14, 2014.

1. rcubed

rcubed

It just really depends on the bottle type. The European bottles will usually give me trouble. I should have bought more of the Vinny pry 375ml bottles when there was a group buy.

Thankfully I have a lot of whatever style the Bruery uses and those I don't have issue corking and/or capping.

smithj2154 likes this.
  2. coldcrash

coldcrash

Anyone have experience using buckwheat malt?

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  3. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Yeah, I did a buckwheat Saison about 4 years ago. Dem groats soak up a ton of water. Did a cereal mash IIRC. Had a hard time finding much info online about using them. Beer turned out great. Pitched some Le Sarrasin dregs in with some yeast bay wallonian.

coldcrash and smithj2154 like this.
  4. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

y'all wet, mayne. congrats!

5. coldcrash

coldcrash

Now I remember you gave me a bottle of that Matt. What percent of your grist was buckwheat?

Got my hands on some malted buckwheat from a local maltster so no cereal mash here.

6. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Thanks, now we just have a zoning board hearing, a environmental board meeting, building, local, state, and federal permits. LOL.

7. Saind

Saind

Wait what's happening

are you just now legalizing alcohol or am I reading this wrong

wuntrikpony likes this.
  8. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

KY has the largest number of dry counties in the US. The city has been wet for a LONG time and people didn't give a fuck about the county because they could buy alcohol in city limits and no one would prosecute them for taking it back home. Even though that is technically illegal.

Well if you own a gas station, wedding venue, or say want to open a brewery on a farm you were shit out of luck. So we all had to band together and gather at least 11k signatures in 3 weeks to get an amendment added to the ballot of the general election. Which we did, and the vote was yesterday.

9. Saind

Saind

I had no idea dry counties were still a thing. Interesting.

TripleSixHoppia and JCastle like this.
  10. JCastle

JCastle

Heard about someone that got in trouble for drinking on their own porch in a dry county. Thought it was wild.

coldcrash and Saind like this.
  11. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I think it was in the range of 30%. Search function sucks, but I’ll look for my posts about it.

coldcrash likes this.
  12. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

coldcrash
    More info in the thread quoted...

13. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Congrats buddy, very cool to see this went well!

14. Lutter

Lutter

We had a similar ballot measure because a portion of the district was still dry (like a block away from me too). No booze in a smallish part of town and restaurants had to add you to a private club before serving wine and beer. (Like prolly a square 2 miles where 2 counties and 3 cities met)

Passed with like 82% of the vote this week.

There’s a lot of “partially wet” (part or all of a city is dry in a county) and dry counties in Texas. Yellow is partial, red is dry, blue pretty much matches our voting on Tuesday for the Democrats lol:

[​IMG]

SirDickButts, Gonzoillini and Saind like this.
  15. Lutter

Lutter

Gawd I just need lactose for a cider and need to drive 25 miles round trip to the LHBS today to get it....

[​IMG]

16. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Finishing our application for zoning approval, the hearing will be Dec. 13th. We had to send a letter by mail to every person that touches the property. It ended up being over 20 people and most of them are separated by the river. Apparently, if they file a complaint, zoning will inform us before the hearing so we can have a defense.

About to head out to the farm to do some site scouting. Our previous spot isn't going to work so we'll have to find somewhere else. I think we are going to submit 4 "prospective" locations to the zoning board. So if they reject one site we don't have to wait another 2 months to reapply.

Hoping to knock out a Saisonish beer the day before Thanksgiving on the homebrew system.

17. smithj2154

smithj2154

When I got into brewing the most convenient shop was about that same total. That shop closed a little before I moved, between that and now moving to the new place I do everything through morebeer.com definitely requires more planning but buying more bulk so hasn't been too hard to manage.

Good luck with permitting.
    The last four years I brew simple blonde wort the week of Thanksgiving to prop bugs for my annual gueuze brew day. Every intention to keep it going.

TripleSixHoppia and rcubed like this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter

I go to Austin Homebrew and they’re moving like 3 miles from my place next year to a brand new building. Thank goodness.

They seem to be doing much better with Adventures in Homebrewing at the helm.

19. JCastle

JCastle

Our zoning and alcohol production laws are ridiculous, I feel your pain. Good luck in your endeavor.

TripleSixHoppia likes this.
  20. smithj2154

smithj2154

When I first started homebrewing I was exclusively WL since they were local and the instructor of my learn to homebrew class recommended them. Lately I’ve been getting away from them and feel like my beer was getting better.

Speaking of yeast. Looking for someone to tell me this is a horrible idea. I took some of the last drops of my 1056 starter to do a force ferment on my Session IPA yesterday. Looking at the flask there is a beautiful creamy white layer of yeast. Thinking I should harvest that for a batch next week. I didnt boil my flask but did a star-san soak baefore using it and generally I try to be sanitary whenever I am handling yeast. Am I crazy to not use it? Or am I right to be paranoid that if I use this yeast my next batch will be infected?

TripleSixHoppia likes this.