Random Music Thoughts/Discussion

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by lurchingbeast, May 4, 2018.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. coldstorage

coldstorage

!Toxic Topic!

Popcorngif

2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Whoever you and coldstorage are fans of.

[​IMG]

3. souredstouts

souredstouts

Just finished watching Punk Attitude. It is a cool documentary about punk and a glimpse into Punk and how it was influenced and influenced other styles. There are a few other documentaries similar to this. I enjoyed it a little more as it gave more of a background of punk before the hardcore scene.

sliverx, Der Fuchs and Padraig like this.
  4. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Come tell me why propagandhi belong in jail. Srs. I’m interested in finding out if the reason you don't like them is the same reason I do.

ripps1 and MordorMongo like this.
  5. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I thought you liked commies?

ripps1 and Der Fuchs like this.
  6. TommyShitt

TommyShitt

I need to know this too.

ripps1 and Der Fuchs like this.
  7. TommyShitt

TommyShitt

Also, Gucci Flip Flops is my most played song this week.

8. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Who?

MordorMongo likes this.
  9. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

If you’re looking for something new to listen to, based on what you normally listen to, you might like my friend’s band Western Settings. They don’t have a “New” album but might be new to you. They just toured Europe with Nothington. Toured with Swingin’ Utters last summer. Have opened for Lagwagon and Strung Out. I think they’re awesome.

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

souredstouts likes this.
  10. coldstorage

coldstorage

Took a spin through my billion open TB windows on my phone and found the orig draft. Apologies in advance for the already used content in subsequent posts.

souredstouts and Der Fuchs like this.
  11. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

thats not bad at all. though, you seem to me to have a bigger problem with their fans than the bands music.

as a past boy scout (heart) with a ex-drill sergeant as the troop leader i both quickly and easily related to the 'boy scouts shouting war' line. i know mine did. it was attempted indoctrination in the most literal of senses. And it pissed me off. but I know not every troop was mine.

i'm a bit confused as to why you think the 'you can stick it (the flag) up your fucking ass' and 'kill them all and let a norse god sort them out' band is 'toothless bubble gum'. at least as far as any band is concerned.

coldstorage likes this.
  12. boogercrack

boogercrack

iso

ASUBeer, sliverx and lurchingbeast like this.
  13. coldstorage

coldstorage

The toothless bubble gum piece is in regards to the music and not the political content. Aimed at the majority of pop punk listeners (at least, during the height of popularity in the 90s) who will declare how raging the music is while having no interest in, or worse still having a distaste for, the objectively more raging and iconoclastic punk history. The pop punk revolution was a softening of punk traditions in every sense but instead of just conceding that by saying "hey, if i'm honest, i like catchy pop songs and this is a fun synthesis" it's this obtuse bullying and rewriting of history like "this is PUNK, all that stuff before was just music that sucks". 9/10 warped tour attendees would have told you that The Ramones, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Crass, Minor Threat, Flux of Pink Indians, Cock Sparrer, New York Dolls or The Sex Pistols and (even sometimes The Misfits!) "suck" and def would have objected to any sister strand contemporary punk offshoot like the political grinding crust of Havoc Records or the UK post-Napalm Death political blurcore on Earache, etc as being called punk or nominated as more raging. As a person who prioritizes tradition and evolution in music - i've always found this phenomenon really objectionable. (See also: Pantera fans and their reviews of metal before the inclusion of a gated, choppy, palm muted "riff"...)

But yeah, I still can't sift any value out of the above mentioned tracks in terms of them being toothy in any way... as its this kinda over sexualized underhanded pitch of a bad joke that's going to right over home plate for ppl who think the cover of "Heavy Petting Zoo" is funny... and, imo, ultimately about 1/1000th of the political impact of "Jesus died for his own sins, not mine" etc.

You're not wrong, I have more of a problem with the fans than the band, but still really dislike the music as well.

wysiwyg, sliverx and Der Fuchs like this.
  14. Padraig

Padraig Premium Supporter Contributor

You could say the same thing about street punk, Oi etc. There’s always been people that just want sing-along 3 chord stuff.

Der Fuchs likes this.
  15. quirk6

quirk6

I have to go to bed at 9 tonight I'm just hoping mattafett gets that next thread up before then.

16. quirk6

quirk6

17. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

18. FTowne

FTowne

Hey mattafett, what are your top 5 Rush albums?

19. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Speaking of Propagandhi from earlier kuemmelbrau . Third line name drop. Are you familiar with Garrett Dale/Red City Radio? I’ve grown to love these guys, but only since they list their other singer.

(Link to media)

Der Fuchs likes this.
  20. mattafett

mattafett