Random thoughts thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Arbitrator, Apr 18, 2013.

1. rrryanc

rrryanc

I don't know that it'd be worth that much to deal with soccer parents...

2. Podunkparte

Podunkparte

3. stakem

stakem

My workplace is on a 3 hour delay today due to the snow storm....

which essentially means they want to us die since the worst part of the storm (freezing rain) starts in about 3 hours

sliverx, Moondog, quirk6 and 14 others like this.
  4. Podunkparte

Podunkparte

I feel you. Seattle really doesn't get much snow annually. Well in the last few days we've not been above freezing, had 3 storms come through, and built up about a foot of snow. Shit is shut down.

Oh except for work. "We can open," they say. Cut to me rushing to close down as inches accumulate and I end up driving on ice rinks for 10 miles, passing cars spun out in ditches.

5. stakem

stakem

On a normal day my commute is ~40 minutes. Yesterday, with nothing but flurries my commute lasted 1.5 hours.

Maybe im looking at this all wrong and should leave now for work anticipating it taking me 3 hours today to make it in.

6. sherm1016

sherm1016

How much does it cost to de-ice a plane?

I just watched a fully loaded plane get de-iced, only to pull back up to the gate and unload for a maintenance issue. It’s gonna have to be de-iced again when it’s ready to go.

I feel bad for the passengers, but not too bad, as my plane rockets down the runway.

sliverx, Moondog, mattafett and 14 others like this.
  7. furley

furley

my boss & another co-worker have an about 30 mile commute to work, coming from the same town to the office.

yesterday they both got here later than usual and agreed that the highway "looked like a war zone with all the cars in ditches and cops everywhere". that was yesterday with no snow falling.

we're getting a foot of snow today.

boss let us all know yesterday that "snow is not an excuse for working remotely.. you need to be at the office."

she's not at the office today.

sliverx, Espeer, Podunkparte and 15 others like this.
  8. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

What? That's the stupidest thing I have heard today. That;s half the reason we can telecommute at my company. lol

9. BadJustin

Is it too early to go to the store and get beer before the nastiest of the snow comes? Fuck it, what do I care. A man has needs.

sliverx, quirk6, jammery and 6 others like this.
  10. sjstraub

sjstraub

I am in Milwaukee and I suspect close to furley. I have an employee who has used over 50% of is pto already.

sliverx, furley, jmgrub and 2 others like this.
  11. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4

Shit on her desk?

sliverx, Moondog, coach and 11 others like this.
  12. BadJustin

For the year? Damn

sliverx likes this.
  13. sherm1016

sherm1016

We are highly encouraged to WFH when the weather gets dicey. No point in risking accidents and the like when you can be fully productive at home.

We are mildly encouraged to WFH all other times. Cuts down on office rent, the need for office services, etc. Also increases employee flexibility and satisfaction.

Unless you’re making widgets, it’s silly not to make WFH an option, and to encourage it to some degree. If your job involves mostly staring at a computer and talking to other humans, there’s no reason you can’t do that from home. Unless your company chooses not to enable it.

14. BadJustin

additionally, I am FAR more productive at home than I am in the office.

15. sherm1016

sherm1016

I’d wager that’s the case for a lot of people. I’m probably closer to a push, but not having to commute puts it over the top. I can put in an extra hour without the commute.

16. furley

furley

we all have laptops and we're told to bring them home every night "in case of emergency". but, it has recently been made clear to us that the only reason we should be working remotely is if the power is out at the office, there was a fire or the building is otherwise inaccessible.

so... pretty much having the laptop is pointless.

17. furley

furley

i'm 90'ish minutes north of you in GB

sjstraub likes this.
  18. ripps1

ripps1

In my old position you could WFH anytime you wanted as long as you put in your 40 hours in the office first...

Espeer, BadJustin and flyingbison like this.
  19. pjs234

pjs234

My last employer instituted a "work where you want to work". From that day forward, the office became a ghost town. Ultimately, their goal was to be able to reduce office space and rental costs. They also had a great IT group and the connectivity options were top notch, which made working from wherever possible...

GhostOfGaspar and furley like this.
  20. Gaseous Clay

Gaseous Clay

I woke up to ice on my car this morning. As a Southern California native I feel personally attacked by the weather.

GoodDon, sliverx, thome50 and 6 others like this.