RateBeer Gallery II (San Francisco)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stupac2

Reaction score
Not sure if everyone's on RB's e-mail list, but if you're not, check this out: http://ratebeer.eventbrite.com/

I went to the first one and it was pretty fun, though it had its hiccups. I've got tickets to this one as well, so I think it'll be a fun time. If you're in the area that day, probably worth going to. The only downside is that it's the same day as the Bistro fest, but since that kinda sucked last year I'm more inclined to do the RB thing. Plus this starts at 2, which leaves enough time to tick the stuff at the Bistro and then BART into the city for those so inclined.

I wonder at what point there will be equilibrium. Everyone keeps talking about a craft beer bubble all these years. . .

But it seems, at least in NorCal (but undoubtedly several other places), the demand is continuing to outpace supply, even with several new "rare/barrel" type of breweries popping up in the area.

I wonder at what point there will be equilibrium. Everyone keeps talking about a craft beer bubble all these years. . .

But it seems, at least in NorCal (but undoubtedly several other places), the demand is continuing to outpace supply, even with several new "rare/barrel" type of breweries popping up in the area.
There's a good response to that here: http://TalkBeer.com/community/threads/the-myth-of-the-craft-beer-bubble.1756/

Basically there is no craft beer bubble, not by any conceivable metric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell us more! What do you do? What good does this do?
Ales for Autism is a local charity (Santa Rosa area) that puts on beer events to raise money for various Autism related programs. Most of the money stays in Sonoma County, going to Autsim research, schools, etc. The charity has been around for a couple of years, but it's just been recently that Greg, the guy behind the whole operation, has been putting on events.

His big event is the Black and White Beer Ball, held during SF Beer Week, in which people are encouraged to dress all fancy and drink good beer. He also has gotten involved with Farm to Fermentation Fest an now, RateBeer.

The whole thing is basically a one man operation, and Greg works his ass off putting this stuff together.

got my ticket for this, can't wait to check it out.

Edit: stupac2 this will be my first one, what exactly goes down there, does the ticket pay for the beer tastings, or will we have to pay for beer once we are in there. also will be able to purchase bottles there?

Last edited:
got my ticket for this, can't wait to check it out.

Edit: stupac2 this will be my first one, what exactly goes down there, does the ticket pay for the beer tastings, or will we have to pay for beer once we are in there. also will be able to purchase bottles there?
Unlimited pours come with the ticket. There weren't bottles last time, almost everything was kegs and the bottles they did have were all emptied. This time they said they'd have stuff for auction but I don't know what the deal with that is.

Unlimited pours come with the ticket. There weren't bottles last time, almost everything was kegs and the bottles they did have were all emptied. This time they said they'd have stuff for auction but I don't know what the deal with that is.

Thanks for the heads up man. ill see ya there

Going to be in SF for the weekend and am always interested in hearing what Mark Jilg has to say so I bought a ticket. After the crazed bottleshare of Woodshop, I'm not expecting anything like that but is the draft list just as good?

Going to be in SF for the weekend and am always interested in hearing what Mark Jilg has to say so I bought a ticket. After the crazed bottleshare of Woodshop, I'm not expecting anything like that but is the draft list just as good?
I've never been to Woodshop, but from what I've heard about the taplist there this one just won't compare. Woodshop seems to be in its own little world.

All signed up, looking forward to it as I missed the last one. Hopefully get some good brews, and not to tossed for a trip to City Beer Store or Mikkeller afterwards.

Last edited:
Almanac - Heirloom Pumpkin Barleywine,
selected Almanac IPA

The Rare Barrel - Shadows of Their Eyes
SKUs Me

Sante Adairius- Cask 200
Second beer (tbd)

Oud Beersel- Kriek, Oude geuze

Craftsman - Honesty Ale
Ursa Major
Old Ale
Sour Brown Ale
Cave Art Ale

Lagunitas - Whiskey BA Capp Stout Stash

Wicked Weed - Serenity (GABF Gold for Brett Sour)
Old Fashioned Beer

Prairie - Bomb! (rum barrel aged )

Stone - Suede Imperial Porter
Farking Wheaton w00tstout

Hill Farmstead (gifts to top Ales For Autism donors) -
- Art #2 ale aged in wine barrels
- Damon - imperial stout in port and bourbon barrels 05/2013
- Elaborative One - with Brad Clark and Chad Yakobson
- Prolegomena - with Will Meyers
- Genealogy Of Morals - 05/2013 Imperial Stout in bourbon barrels with a touch of coffee

Sierra Nevada - tba

Moonlight - tba

Drakes - tba

Others - tba

Really enjoyed the event today. A bit pricey, but the 300 person limit and the mellow atmosphere made it worth it. Pleasantly surprised by the Wicked Weed offerings.

Also had a great time with all the different sours offered and chatted with Mark Jilg a bit, who confirmed that they would be bottling some of their sours. SARA Cask 200 was definitely better than West Ashley, which smelled a bit like cat piss or so I thought midway through.

Also had a great time with all the different sours offered and chatted with Mark Jilg a bit, who confirmed that they would be bottling some of their sours. SARA Cask 200 was definitely better than West Ashley, which smelled a bit like cat piss or so I thought midway through.
A random note, this Cask 200 was a blend of batch 1 and batch 2, and apparently only that keg existed. I created it on Untappd, so if you drank it yesterday, check into the Batch 1.5 entry!

A random note, this Cask 200 was a blend of batch 1 and batch 2, and apparently only that keg existed. I created it on Untappd, so if you drank it yesterday, check into the Batch 1.5 entry!
This is actually the entire idea of Cask 200. They have a massive (660 gallon?) cask, that they will add a batch to every now and then while never emptying it.

Last edited:
This is actually the entire idea of Cask 200. They have a massive (660 gallon?) cask, that they will add a batch to every now and then while never emptying it.
Yes, I know that. That beer was a blend of the first beer removed from the cask and the second. Tim himself told me this.
I disagree with your West Ashley analysis (though I may be biased, I'm a huge SARA fan), but Cask 200 may have been the best beer there.
...what are you talking about?

Fact.

Anyone hear which beer won best in show?

West Ashley definitely won the peoples choice. Not sure if that is the same thing as best in show though.

Back