Recent Freetail Release

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester_Floyds

Reaction score
I was expecting brews on par with Ananke and Raspberry Ananke, and was a little let down. The Woodicus was the best of the bunch, but that was slightly too sour for me(the first beer I have ever said this about). I commend Scott on making such an insanely sour brew. However the Bandito and Salado were nowhere near as good as the Anankes. I realize there is quite a bit of variation in sour brews, especially when very little blending is taking place (I believe Freetail only has 11 barrels of beer aging at a time.), so this type of variation is to be expected. I just think It is a good thing to be honest about this, have an open discussion about it and try to not be homers.

OK, but what about those 2 did you not like? Just saying they're not as good as Ananke doesn't really tell me very much.

For me, the Salado is very good, although I would have liked a bit more of the cherry to come through. It is puckeringly sour, though, which is actually my preference, so on that end it was a winner for me.

Woodicus and Bandito came in 2 and 3. I havent had the base beer for either, but I thought Woodicus was complex and had a depth of flavor that surprised me. Out of the 3, if I had to choose 1 I didnt love, it would be Bandito. It's a strange mix of flavors that I just couldnt put my finger on. To me Bandito seems too young, and I'm going to let mine age a little bit more because I think some of the harshness of the flavor blends will smooth out.

Well ken if you want my Freetail Kriek, they're all yours. I didn't like them at all.

1. Too lemon forward.
2. Ananke base is impossible to detect. I'd swear it was a new beer base
3. If they truly added cherries to this beer, why is the color so weak? It's literally like an orange-gish tint with hints of yellow. It should be at least somewhat red depending on the cherries used.
4. Wax coating is WAY too thick. I nearly sliced an artery trying to open that bottle. I got a better system going when I got around to trying Woodicus.
5. I didn't get this puckering sour quality everyone else has. I mean compared to Cascade, the Salado Kriek is mild.

And reviewed my notes: "Like drinking the candy smarties in a glass".

OK, but what about those 2 did you not like? Just saying they're not as good as Ananke doesn't really tell me very much.
Fair.

I found Salado bland and very thin. I got absolutely zero cherry or fruit flavor from it. The beer was not rounded it was just boring and not very flavorful.

Bandito tasted like an old moldy barrel. The wood notes were sharp and off putting, and there were no redeeming qualities to counter this. The flavor was thin and the negatives were there.

Woodicus was my favorite at the release. Very well balanced sour. I hope the bottle tastes as good as it was on tap! Bandito tasted like it needed another month or so to sour up still. The only bottle I've opened so far has been Salado, and I was very surprised. The taste was very different from what I remember it tasting like on tap. Much much much more Brett from the bottle.

Really wish I was able to go to this release or that it wouldn't take an arm or leg to try any of these

I, too, thought the Kriek was underwhelming on tap, but the bottle I opened last week was noticeably better. Light, delicate cherry flavor; refreshingly tart.

Woodicus was a home run (as always).

didn't make it down for the super mega bottle release but thought I heard they 'silently' released Peche'cus last week - this true or am I pushing lies?

didn't make it down for the super mega bottle release but thought I heard they 'silently' released Peche'cus last week - this true or am I pushing lies?

As of yesterday...It's still in the barrels. They said it would release until after the Anniv. Weekend (black Friday) so I'm guessing sometime in Dec.

I really wish I could make it to the La Muerta bottle release on 11/2, but that is opening weekend for deer season and that is a family tradition.

Don't get Raspberry Save the Cave. Tasted like household cleaners and nothing-ness. Ask HopAG or rainer for a 2nd opinion, but that's what I got.
It was shared last weekend at JK and I found it quite good. But I really look forward to Yo Soy, it's the only beer brewed in TX my gf likes so far.

It was shared last weekend at JK and I found it quite good. But I really look forward to Yo Soy, it's the only beer brewed in TX my gf likes so far.
Any idea if they're brewing Ananke again soon? :/ It usually drops this time of year. I'm down to my last bottle of Ananke and have a pending trade for another.

And hell yeah Yo Soy is fantastic.

Any idea if they're brewing Ananke again soon? :/ It usually drops this time of year. I'm down to my last bottle of Ananke and have a pending trade for another.

And hell yeah Yo Soy is fantastic.
I just look at Freetail's Coming Soon page regularly, and it would appear not.
A SA guy might know more, they are slow to join over here though.

Back